Hornby Drummond 700

Robin Brasher

The Class 700 Hornby Service Sheet is now on line and does show some technical improvements compared to Duke of Gloucester and P2, in that there are pick ups on all tender wheels, with the DCC connector in the tender. This is the same with the forthcoming K1 as well. This is probably a happy consequence of having to fit the DCC connector in the tender due to lack of space in the loco body. It doesn't look as though the loco wheel set has bearings, another member thought the K1 service sheet showed bearings on the main loco wheels, but there is no evidence on the 700 sheet. Still it looks like some improvements, keep our fingers crossed.

The Class 700 Hornby Service Sheet is now on line and does show some technical improvements compared to Duke of Gloucester and P2, in that there are pick ups on all tender wheels, with the DCC connector in the tender. This is the same with the forthcoming K1 as well. This is probably a happy consequence of having to fit the DCC connector in the tender due to lack of space in the loco body. It doesn't look as though the loco wheel set has bearings, another member thought the K1 service sheet showed bearings on the main loco wheels, but there is no evidence on the 700 sheet. Still it looks like some improvements, keep our fingers crossed.

Please can you provide a link to the service sheet?

• RMweb Gold

Really looking forward to the 700 arriving. Another fine L&SWR ready to run loco.

The company and its locos have long been a favourite of mine.

Never did I think this, along with the M7, T9, N15 ,would be produced to such a fine standard, not to mention the O2, Well tank and B4.

And then there is the gate stock. ...

Hell fire and forn ication !!!!

Nurse!!! Fetch the screens!!!

Rob

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Premium

Really looking forward to the 700 arriving. Another fine L&SWR ready to run loco.

The company and its locos have long been a favourite of mine.

Never did I think this, along with the M7, T9, N15 ,would be produced to such a fine standard, not to mention the O2, Well tank and B4.

And then there is the gate stock. ...

Hell fire and forn ication !!!!

Nurse!!! Fetch the screens!!!

Rob

All we need now is some compartment stock and an Ironclad or two!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are kits of the ironclads, I built some when modelling in 4mm.

The old BSL kits perhaps? Presumably still available via the Southern e-mail Group.

I was thinking of ordering a 4COR from the SEMG site, it seems the only way to get one now.

The old BSL kits perhaps? Presumably still available via the Southern e-mail Group.

I was thinking of ordering a 4COR from the SEMG site, it seems the only way to get one now.

Southern Region Models/Ayjay are showing a 4 COR in 4mm scale on their website, also available through Radley Models. I can't vouch for the quality but I have built one of their  resin 2 HAL units and it's not too bad, apart from over-heavy roof and end details. Links below:

http://www.southernregionmodels.co.uk/

http://www.radleymodels.com/southern-region.html

I have no connection to either firm other than as a satisfied customer.

• RMweb Gold

Be nice if Hornby produced the 700 in L&SWR livery at a later date.

Probably as a collectors club edition though....

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Be nice if Hornby produced the 700 in L&SWR livery at a later date.

Probably as a collectors club edition though....

Rob

Unlikely, as it wouldn't be authentic.  The locos were rebuilt with a superheater and stove-pipe chimney by Urie, starting with 316 in 1921, only a couple of years before the LSWR became part of the Southern Railway. Hornby's model is of the modified version which is very different in outline from the original.

• RMweb Gold

it wouldn't be authentic.  The locos were rebuilt with a superheater and stove-pipe chimney by Urie, starting with 316 in 1921, only a couple of years before the LSWR became part of the Southern Railway. Hornby's model is of the modified version which is very different in outline from the original.

Correct, of course. But with the present market clamour for all sorts of colourful Pre-Grouping locos, might Hornby not just churn it out in something pretty, to rival Bachmann's C?

• RMweb Premium

A number of 700 class locos were allocated to Exmouth Junction, so I would have thought that at some point they might have travelled the North Cornwall line?

..........east of 72A I think and then they were the ones fitted with ploughs IIRC.

P

• RMweb Gold

Correct, of course. But with the present market clamour for all sorts of colourful Pre-Grouping locos, might Hornby not just churn it out in something pretty, to rival Bachmann's C?

There is a precedent of course, with Hornby's T9 having been produced in full LSWR livery despite the original engine having not been superheated until May 1927.  But then they were just mirroring the preserved T9, which was painted in this livery at one time. However, there's no preserved 700 today to use as an excuse!

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

There is a precedent of course, with Hornby's T9 having been produced in full LSWR livery despite the original engine having not been superheated until May 1927.  But then they were just mirroring the preserved T9, which was painted in this livery at one time. However, there's no preserved 700 today to use as an excuse!

(Slightly OT but might be of interest)

One did nearly escape scrapping - a society in Hampshire was offered a 700 for just a few hundred quid back in '62 (of course it was a small fortune then), but either they couldn't raise the money in time or had nowhere to put the loco - for some reason, it never happened. It would have been lovely to see it on the Mid-Hants line!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Unlikely, as it wouldn't be authentic. The locos were rebuilt with a superheater and stove-pipe chimney by Urie, starting with 316 in 1921, only a couple of years before the LSWR became part of the Southern Railway. Hornby's model is of the modified version which is very different in outline from the original.

Not that unlikely, I'm sure. I agree not authentic but it would still be a nice model for Hornby to produce.

Yes those more concerned than I about such things would get rather frothy, good luck to them. However, life is too short.

Let's not forget how good the M7 looked.

Should Hornby produce it then I am sure it would be welcomed.

Rob

post-14122-0-47709600-1407585017_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-73230800-1407585038_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-08706000-1407585073.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 7

Not that unlikely, I'm sure. I agree not authentic but it would still be a nice model for Hornby to produce.

Yes those more concerned than I about such things would get rather frothy, good luck to them. However, life is too short.

Let's not forget how good the M7 looked.

Should Hornby produce it then I am sure it would be welcomed.

Rob

I thought that we modeled railways. In which case we need to follow what the railways did. Otherwise it just becomes playing with toys nothing what so ever to do with real thing.

But the M7 had not been changed in such a way it looked completely different.

• RMweb Gold

I thought that we modeled railways. In which case we need to follow what the railways did. Otherwise it just becomes playing with toys nothing what so ever to do with real thing.

I don't think the Hornby model and the prototype 700 look dramatically different to me - and I'm sure they'd look nigh enough to most purchasers. "We" may need to follow what the railways did, but Hornby needs to shift product. Pretty locos, particularly relatively affordable ones, jump off the shelf. Those of us who feel uneasy with the compromise do not need to invest.

Edited by Oldddudders

I don't think the Hornby model and the prototype 700 look dramatically different to me - and I'm sure they'd look nigh enough to most purchasers. "We" may need to follow what the railways did, but Hornby needs to shift product. Pretty locos, particularly relatively affordable ones, jump off the shelf. Those of us who feel uneasy with the compromise do not need to invest.

I was on about giving it the wrong livery. The model is great for SR/BR liveries. You could give the M7 the LSWR one but not the 700.

• RMweb Gold

I think Peter we are looking at this from two ends of the spectrum. Very few of us can hope to emulate modelling to your standards, with the fidelity than comes with it.

A model such as the 700 mooted by myself would at least allow modellers such as I, who would love to model pre-grouping L&SWR, but lack time, skill etc, to dip a toe in the water.

Commercially I think it would be a success.

Rob

Guest Belgian

Unlikely, as it wouldn't be authentic.  The locos were rebuilt with a superheater and stove-pipe chimney by Urie, starting with 316 in 1921, only a couple of years before the LSWR became part of the Southern Railway. Hornby's model is of the modified version which is very different in outline from the original.

Errrrrrrrm. So 308/16/50/68/689/94/700* - all rebuilt by the LSWR before the coming of the Southern, didn't appear in an LSWR livery?!!! The photos I have of some of them show 'LSWR' on the tender . . . and Urie's goods livery was holly green, (sometimes but not always, lined out in black edging and white lining, so I beg to differ. I think an LSWR liveried one would be an excellent 'special' model.

JE

* and, probably 326/46/687 also had LSWR green as they were turned out at Eastleigh before Maunsell's plain black became standard, no.339 being the first to receive the latter. All info from Bradley.

• RMweb Gold

So painting it the wrong colour is wrong, but running it as a narrow gauge isn't?

These locos were called BLACK motors with good reason. I know we've had green 'Black Fives' but I always thought they looked odd as do red '8Fs'. Can't see any likelihood of Hornby doing the '700' (it's a Urie '700' not a Drummond '700' anyway) in a bogus livery. They get such a slating whenever they do the tiniest thing wrong, they are hardly likely to do it deliberately. At least, if they did it green and there were loads left on the shelves, they would be easy to blow over in unlined black.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

Of all the photos I have seen. The LSWR ones in green were the original ones, the late LSWR rebuilds do not have any sign of lining on them. After 1923 both original and rebuilt appear in SR's black lined green until the thirties. After the mid thirties just plain black.

No doubt someone will prove differently but as I said this is purely from photos I have see. I have looked at loads as I have a kit to build of one.