Hornby Drummond 700

Robin Brasher

Hi

Had this email from Hatton's  about the 700;  Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Friday 5th September 2014

Darren

I might not be able to have a 700 delivered through my usual supply chain anyway according to the New Trade Terms topic.

The only 2014 item that was for the Padstow layout rather than the collection was the Southern T-9 and that will not be delivered if one can believe what Hornby communicated to Hattons until October 2014.

George Moon's picture of 30695 on a hot August Saturday at Swanage in 1959.

When Hornby produces its 700 with a late BR crest it will be possible to recreate this scene with ready to run products. Wrenn produced Dorchester, Bachmann produce Bulleid coaches and Hornby produce Maunsell coaches.

post-17621-0-49984900-1389720181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 7

George Moon's picture of 30695 on a hot August Saturday in 1959.

When Hornby produces its 700 with a late BR crest it will be possible to recreate this scene with ready to run products. Wrenn produced Dorchester, Bachmann produce Bulleid coaches and Hornby produce Maunsell coaches.

That's Swanage! :O

You can't take a photo from where that one was taken anymore. There's a bus depot there and a lot of bushes!

The goods sidings and the signal box have gone and you will only see the vehicles at classic car shows and bus rallies. It looks like the picture was taken from Court Road near Northbrook Road Bridge.

The goods sidings and the signal box have gone and you will only see the vehicles at classic car shows and bus rallies. It looks like the picture was taken from Court Road near Northbrook Road Bridge.

Yeah, It's a shame those sidings went, but there's nothing we can do now! The signal box has been moved to the embankment on the left, it's embedded there!

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the poor quality of the picture.  This was the Black Motor at the Toyfair yesterday.  Looks pretty advanced to me.  The main loco body is die cast metal.  The cab roof is plastic.  The tender body is also plastic - painted silver.  It is a lovely-looking engine.  

Paul

attachicon.gifIMG_0448.JPG

Edited by Robin Brasher

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 

I have two of these on order and do hope they come up to scratch from the new factory, no missing parts, bits in the box, poor chaise!.

If this one turns out to be a dog it will be going back,then this will be the last loco i get from them,So come on Hornby get back into the game on this one. 

Externally it looks tidy enough to match the appearance of their better previous productions.

I want the mechanical construction of the chassis to at least match and ideally improve further on the designs from the 'golden patch' - Britannia to the O1 - think the O1 was the last steam loco before 'design clever' struck. The 700 will show us what direction Hornby are going.

• RMweb Gold

Externally it looks tidy enough to match the appearance of their better previous productions.

I want the mechanical construction of the chassis to at least match and ideally improve further on the designs from the 'golden patch' - Britannia to the O1 - think the O1 was the last steam loco before 'design clever' struck. The 700 will show us what direction Hornby are going.

Hornby's pricing puts it towards that bracket and so if they don't deliver to that standard they are going to get a lot of brickbats (and maybe a few bricks?)

I am not donating free bricks, they'll simply make no sale to folk like myself if it isn't the ticket.

I would intend to buy an example of every 0-6-0 that is produced in RTR - been asking for these in RTR for years - because quite simply I like them, the quintessential British steam loco design. Yet to have a display cabinet for anything, but I can feel one coming on for small 0-6-0s if Bach, Hornby and anyone else between them turn out a dozen or more good examples.

But there is a caveat: a decent all-around standard model is required whenever the subject is from outside my target modelling patch, as the 700 is. Won't touch things like that tender drive Dean Goods for example. All my modelling time is required for the vehicles legitimately on my patch, and it will be happily expended on items that aren't quite as good as I would like if they are necessary items. But the 'nice to haves' are either right as they stand, or not purchased.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hattons still showing September 5, 2014 for availability.  We know an engineering prototype was shown in January. Can Hornby deliver the (black motor) goods.....?

Hattons still showing September 5, 2014 for availability.  We know an engineering prototype was shown in January. Can Hornby deliver the (black motor) goods.....?

I, for one, hope so!

• RMweb Premium

Normally (according to S*d's Law) I finish the expensive kit I bought years ago and the much better rtr model then appears almost immediately - I haven't even started my Crownline 700 so we could be in for a long wait!

The S15 is coming along quite nicely, however.........

Edited by Colin
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Latest update from Hattons that it will be in stock 23rd September (this year) - possibly...

Still says 5th of September for me?

As I have one on pre-order, I had an email from them this morning. The website may not have been updated yet.

Best check my e-mails then, I've got a Br Late on Pre-order! :)