Β 

A little layout planning - House move is a go

Well the house move is a go and all the houses seem to have spare rooms that come in around 10' by 8'.

So did a little planning to entertain myself:

20131208_184957_zpsed1f3efc.jpg

I will fire up the laptop and scan it for better picture.

The 4' section with the pulpwood yard is in production at the moment and will be incorporated into the final design.

A few notes

Set in Maine
Present day
HO
Guilford/Pan Am RR

Trying to follow the less is more and approach and keep the track to a minimum.

Let me know what you think.

post-4550-0-22982000-1386544042_thumb.jpg

I am thinking about building my own track for this layout, any one know if there are any UK based suppliers of fast tracks or something similar I can build turnouts from?

Β 

Either that or try to source Mirco Engineering Track in the UK.

You might find this picture http://www.panoramio.com/photo/72495834 of pulpwood loading at East Newport useful. Be aware though that Guilford stopped hauling 4' cuts of pulpwood some time ago, so the cars in the picture would not be seen today, you'd see something more like the cars in the video you linked to a while ago. But the picture illustrates that pulpwood loading was generally a pretty low-key business.

Β 

Β 

I have been playing around a bit and thought it would be good to try and include an layout I have started in the loft, different theme and very simple track plan but I quite like it.

Β 

This is based on the layout designed by Jack Hill in his very helpful blog, still set in main but a more industrial setting:

Β 

The current layout is the 7 feet along the top with the 3 track inglenook, the new part starts where the baseboard widens out.

Β 

spareroomwithexsisting_zpsa2bfe74f.png

• 1 month later...

Ok so the house move is a going well, flat sold and offer accepted, which means I now know how big the layout room will be.

Β 

So I did some more planning:

Β 

C6B6CAD4-7B06-4ABB-B3DB-6D672694D6B4_zps

Β 

The concept is differnt as is the state, the main industry is a veneer manufacturer based on one in Rice Lake City in Wisconsin, there is a separate thread on that here:

Β 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80700-wisconsin-industry-board-manufacturer/

Β 

I am happy with the factory but not sure about the lumber dealer and ware house which I have added, in the real Rice Lake there is a plastics factory and fertiliser supplier that are or have been recently supplied by rail, which might suit the scene better.

I am happy with the factory but not sure about the lumber dealer and ware house which I have added, in the real Rice Lake there is a plastics factory and fertiliser supplier that are or have been recently supplied by rail, which might suit the scene better.

If you make it "were" & backdate your Era a bit you can use Soo Line locos.... ;)

Archived