Steep Gradient onto Bridge

That line was built after EH Harriman acquired the UP.  He went up the hill to Summit than the straight across the valleys connecting the ridges.  Wood trestles were built across the valleys and then the trestle was filled in with dirt to form an embankment.  The crossing of the Papio creek was big enough to remain a bridge.  However 84th st, 120th Street and 144th St all went through the fill in what amounted to two lane tunnels.  Starting about 1980 or so the city and railroad built bridges and removed the tunnels putting 4 lane roads under the railroad.

the bridge in the picture is about 30-40 ft over the creek so there is no need to ramp up like the picture erroneously portrays. 

That's a distortion of the photo on Google maps.  The track is level through that area.  I drive by it every day going to work.

I wondered about that. The example I posted is a steep up and over that replaces a diamond (so the GO commuter trains wouldn't be held up by the CN freights going in or out of the Langstaff yard.

Adrian

Archived