OK, so a week ago at the Warley show this was a Conrail GP38. I know the detail is not quite right (different dynamic brake 'pod', bigger fuel tank etc) but in the UK we have to buy what we can get and this was the closest out of about 4 different Atlas GP38s. Easier and cheaper to buy what's available and compromise than to go shopping at 3,000 miles distant and then pay all the charges on top. Anyway, Canadian readers, which railway is it - and where can I find some decals for the very limited amount of numbers and letters? Anyone do an 'Operation Lifesaver' decal?

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-13683300-1385925880_thumb.jpg

Anyone do an 'Operation Lifesaver' decal?

Chris,

Yes, someone does. I've seen them mentioned in a conversion article in one of the US mags. Sorry, I can't put my hands on it at the moment.

steve

OK, so a week ago at the Warley show this was a Conrail GP38. I know the detail is not quite right (different dynamic brake 'pod', bigger fuel tank etc) but in the UK we have to buy what we can get and this was the closest out of about 4 different Atlas GP38s. Easier and cheaper to buy what's available and compromise than to go shopping at 3,000 miles distant and then pay all the charges on top. Anyway, Canadian readers, which railway is it - and where can I find some decals for the very limited amount of numbers and letters? Anyone do an 'Operation Lifesaver' decal?

CHRIS LEIGH

One of the large operators of multiple short lines used this livery on darn near everything....Rail America.  Here's a couple I photographed

- SCTR at Jackson, Tennessee - a grab shot when I'd gotten off the Interstate when driving from Memphis to Nashville TN

post-751-0-12930000-1385938573_thumb.jpg

- And the North Carolina & Virginia at Aulander, NC - the primary business of the NCVA is serving a Nucor steel mill in Tunis, NC.  Bulkhead flats with plate steel is a common sight; covered hoppers for soybeans, etc also....both seen in my photo.

post-751-0-00195100-1385938628_thumb.jpg

Genesee & Wyoming bought out a bunch of the Rail America line; GW is kind enough to provide a thumbnail description of their operations

http://www.gwrr.com/operations/railroads/north_america/north_carolina__virginia_railroad

Dear Dibber,

Maybe LTEX? One of the 38xx series locos? 

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=123873

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Interesting that LTEX are in that colour scheme, as the LTEX ones I saw switching the fuel terminal at Clarkson (what a great name for a load of petrol sidings!) were in plain grey.

CHRIS LEIGH

My repaint is based on the loco I glimpsed in the summer when travelling from Toronto to London over what my Canadian friend calls 'the back way' over the Goderich & Exeter Railway. Looks like the GEXR has used this colour scheme on 3840 (lettered NECR - New England Central Railway) and 4019 (lettered GEXR). Which number/letters combination I use on the model will depend on what decals I can obtain.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Nick:

GEXR had their main junction/shed at Stratford, so the first few locos had Shaxpurian names.  These were traded to Nova Scotia.

GEXR has had a wild variety of paint schemes -- often left over from a previous owner.  I think I've seen a six-unit lashup with 5 colour schemes.

Nick:

GEXR had their main junction/shed at Stratford, so the first few locos had Shaxpurian names.  These were traded to Nova Scotia.

GEXR has had a wild variety of paint schemes -- often left over from a previous owner.  I think I've seen a six-unit lashup with 5 colour schemes.

I understand that the GEXR is pretty much run from Nova Scotia these days - or was, after Rail America took over. Thanks for the advice - I'll look at the Fox lettering. I have some rub-down white lettering (Woodland Scenics) but I never seem to make much of a success of applying rub-down transfers. Yes, the various photo sites show GEXR and Ontario Southern (Hamilton Yard) with numerous different colour schemes. I already have Railink dark blue/cream (the GP20 that emigrated to Vancouver Island - and was hated there) and Railink mid-blue and white, plus a Bachmann blue and yellow NECR (the real one has the lettering painted out but I'm loathe to do that).

CHRIS LEIGH

I understand that the GEXR is pretty much run from Nova Scotia these days - or was, after Rail America took over. Thanks for the advice - I'll look at the Fox lettering. I have some rub-down white lettering (Woodland Scenics) but I never seem to make much of a success of applying rub-down transfers. Yes, the various photo sites show GEXR and Ontario Southern (Hamilton Yard) with numerous different colour schemes. I already have Railink dark blue/cream (the GP20 that emigrated to Vancouver Island - and was hated there) and Railink mid-blue and white, plus a Bachmann blue and yellow NECR (the real one has the lettering painted out but I'm loathe to do that).

CHRIS LEIGH

GEXR normally bases a locomotive out of Kitchener, in the past one in a paint scheme like you've posted Chris has been posted there.  I'm sure i have pictures somewhere if i dug long enough through my archives.

-Stephen

I have shots (picked up off the usual websites) of 3840 with NECR markings and 4019 with GEXR markings, both of them taken at Hamilton yard. Seems crazy but I can't find a suitable sans serif alphabet in the right size in white in a waterslide decal. All the decal sets cover the nice fancy colour schemes. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived