A Silly Half-hour... "Convoy" Tribute....

There's a song called "Convoy", by C.W.McCall, from the film of the same name.

No I don't sing it every night at work :rolleyes: ... sadly yes I do know the words... :O :o :O

I'll spare you any You-Tube links.

Anyway, I've recreated the opening lines of the song on my (unfinished) layout - albeit in 'daytime' rather than in the dark...

Convoy1_zps57d14025.jpg

Now for the really anoraky part.

The lines & pictures are as follows....

"Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June

In a Kenworth pullin' logs...

Convoy4_zpsa3158ca0.jpg

Cab-over Pete with a reefer on...

Convoy2_zpsc0c2bdb9.jpg

And a Jimmy haulin' hogs...."

Convoy3_zps7c0b3fd5.jpg

Translation:- A Kenworth on timber haulage, a Peterbilt with a refrigerated trailer, and a GMC with livestock.

Models accurate to song :D

Silly? Sad?? ...or just no surprise at such nonsense...?? :D

Note that the C.W.McCall song as recorded and the music from the movie have different lyrics - the movie version ties in with the details of the movie (not the least of which being the Rubber Ducks' truck was a Mack in the movie).

I keep planning on making an N-scale representation of the truck from the movie out of one of the Athearn Macks.

BTW. Your log truck seems lightly loaded.

Adrian

Adrian... I went with the Record version (he says, as if he knew all along.... :D )

The KW just has the load that came with it at the moment.... and "a Kenworth pullin' Twiglets" doesn't quite sound right... :O ...eventually I'll use some real bits of trees.... ;)

Jack.... I was hoping to spare everyone the YouToob clips ;) .... & I did say I've done the start of the song... haven't got room or $$$ for "1000 screaming trucks", the Chicken Coops full of Bears, the Illinois National Guard, the Suicide Jockey or the 11 long-haired Friends of Jesus, etc etc etc... :D

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH you cruel and heartless b*stards. Not that f***ing song!

Many many moons ago when I was in Uni for the first time studying television and broadcasting arts, I spend a summer work experience in Ft McMurray doing the late night radio slot. Some little brat would call every 30 minutes all night long requesting that bloody song. It was on the A rotation as well so I heard it at least 3 times a night, 6 nights a week for nearly 3 months. That song and Rick Dees' Disco Duck are 2 things that are likely to cause me to go postal.

Well when I was in Cyprus around 40 years ago, BFBS Radio used to hold a charity songathon, at Christmas/New Year, where they would put a record on and it played continuously until someone pledged a bit more to replace it with another -
It is how I learned the words to "Ag PLEEZ Deddy"! I think the eventual take from one of the Squadrons was about £1200 (a fortune in those days!)

I added a Youtube link, but I have removed it as there is a reference to a particular kids sweet which may offend - those were not PC days!

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH you cruel and heartless b*stards. Not that f***ing song!

Many many moons ago when I was in Uni for the first time studying television and broadcasting arts, I spend a summer work experience in Ft McMurray doing the late night radio slot. Some little brat would call every 30 minutes all night long requesting that bloody song. It was on the A rotation as well so I heard it at least 3 times a night, 6 nights a week for nearly 3 months. That song and Rick Dees' Disco Duck are 2 things that are likely to cause me to go postal.

Since you seem to have such happy memories of Fort Mac, Andrew, here's another song for you -

(Warning - contains non-PC concepts.) A couple of my sons and a daughter-in-law have worked there and have made sure they don't have to go back. They didn't comment on the late-night radio, though.  

While you are upgrading the logs, make sure you do something to capture the running joke about the smell from the hogs.

There used to be a range of products known as olfactory airs or something, they did do a stockyard smell, long gone now but I doubt anybody used up the whole of that bottle so you may find some on ewww_Bay. Plenty of room for it in an O scale trailer I would have thought, make sure you use enough to close up your sinuses.

Double the amount if you take this to an exhibition otherwise the effect will be lost against the background odors.

Ft McMurray back then was a small sh*thole in the middle of nowhere. Now its a large sh*thole in the middle of nowhere. In the 70's it was called Ft Make-Money. Now known as Ft Crack. My younger brother worked up there on and off for 10 years on various tar sands plants. It ended his second marriage and he aged about 25 years in those 10.

Lots of my mates have gone to fort mac, I'm thinking about it after I am done at work....as regards the song, I like the Paul Brandt version of it, myself.   Mind. I'm not much of a play it backwards music fan :)  (play it backwards...the duck comes out of the river, the house gets un-forclosed, the wife comes back, the dog comes back to life after the car backs off it...you know...all the cliché's of country music :)

James

• RMweb Premium

I recall seeing a model of the USA scene a while ago and there were two buildings side by side with notices "Trailers for sale or rent" and "Rooms to let 50 cents" on them.

I do love a music reference on a layout!

Nice one!

Any others around?

Tony

Archived