Here's a 'quick and dirty' video of the Ixion Fowler 0-4-0 for which I've created a custom sound project. Just a taster of the sounds available.

Sounds good to me! Although I am ignorant of the prototype. I do like your attention to detail: starting, under load, etc. I think this one might be popular... Ideal for micro layouts. :-)

Tony.

Edited by dwhite4dcc
Remove video link

My second Dapol Class 26 DCC sound conversion, the model of 040 arrives and then departs from my work in progress model of Achnasheen - a 5ft 3" layout.

Please use this link to Youtube:

I have tried to add the twin sealed beam headlights to the model, but am still looking for something suitable as lenses to let the light shine through!

As for my first conversion I have removed cab details to fit the decoder and sugar cube speaker, no chassis grinding has been involved.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 4

Here's one I intended to post ages ago but couldn't find the original footage. I have now edited it a little, although the shaky camera work remains as I was operating both camera and train at the same time!

This is Heljan's model of HS4000, Kestrel, fitted with Howes' sound. It completes the Sulzer set, with my class 24 (6 cylinder from Howes), class 33s (8 cylinder from Howes, Digitrains and legomanbiffo), class 47 (12 cylinder from Howes), and now Kestrel with its 16 cylinder engine.

th_HeljanKestrelHowesSound_zps50f4fbf2.j

• Like 1

Having now attended quite a few shows now with my layout 'Haymarket Cross' I have two or three videos you can see on Youtube via the link below. Most of the sound is from Olivias Trains with a few from Howes.

Cheers

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Back to steam for this upload.

The Bullied Pacifics tended to be a bit light-footed, so if you open the regulator too quickly in this sound project, a wheel slip sound will play. If you are gentle, it will not 'slip'.

Another characteristc of the un-rebuilt, chain-driven valve gear locos is the 'syncopated' irregular exhaust beat at low speeds, tightening up to a more regular pattern as the road speed increases. Difficult technical problem to overcome with a DCC decoder which always play each 'chuff' to a strict regular time interval.

This clip is all slow movement as it's difficult to show high speed running on 5 feet of track! Ha Ha

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 2

That's great, Paul.  Being a northern lad, I am not familiar with the characteristics of the West Countries but I love the different sounds and facilities you include in your projects.  One day, perhaps, someone might work out how to make the model's wheels slip in time with the sound - and then regain grip!

Harold.

That's great, Paul.  Being a northern lad, I am not familiar with the characteristics of the West Countries but I love the different sounds and facilities you include in your projects.  One day, perhaps, someone might work out how to make the model's wheels slip in time with the sound - and then regain grip!

Harold.

If your model starts to really slip that is exactly what will happen. Not too difficult to make happen if you put 15 coaches or a scale several hundred yards of loaded wagons behind a model loco

If your model starts to really slip that is exactly what will happen. Not too difficult to make happen if you put 15 coaches or a scale several hundred yards of loaded wagons behind a model loco

Sure but, if you back of the speed setting, the train slows rather than getting a grip, and the sound is nothing like realistic.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Can anyone post  me a link of the latest Legomanbiffo class 31 sound project please.

Thanks.....Bob.

Hi Bob, if you type 'legomanbiffo' into a YouTube search it comes up with a Heljan Class 31 with Legomanbiffo sound about half way down the list. He also has a YouTube channel so might be worth a look there.

Ray.

Here's a short clip of the latest sound on 'Camel Quay' , a BWT with Zimo sound decoder and 25x15mm speaker.

Sound file by YouChoos (usual disclaimer, just a very satisfied customer)

Detail for the fitting of the speaker and decoder here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=1320440

Ray.

• Like 2

Something topical.

A video of my Hornby Sentinel with ZIMO sound decoder and speaker invisibly installed.

Paul

Hi Paul. Will this project be avilable via Digitrains, please? I assume you used an MX648, hard wired. Can you confirm this, please, and say which speaker you used. I'd like to try this. Thanks, Trevor

Trevor,

Yes, it will be, but not just yet. I'm putting some finishing touches to it before release.

There will be a full step by step photo feature in the next issue of Hornby Magazine which will tell you all you need to know.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks, Paul. I subscribe to the mag so look forward to it. All the Best. Trevor

Just gone and recieved two Howes decoders. Gone and got the B1 fitted. was running and sounding great on my friends layout. Will have to get video soon!

Hi David,

I have had my Howes V4 Loksound in my Hornby B1 for some time now and although my fleet consists of mostly diesels I was advised by a colleague that their's was the best sound. It sounds really good but when running on my layout I'm not so sure what the various sounds should be doing and at when at the different speeds etc. I would be interested in seeing your vid when you get round to it.

Bill.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Howes class 20 (both fitted and both capable of drive)

Zimo Fitted class 20 with digitrains sound (both capable of drive)

A few paxman fitted HST vids (howes sounds in both power cars)

Brush 4 (Bachmann default sound)

Another view of the Bachmann brush 4 and HST

• Like 1

My latest DCC fit that i have done 

ESU loksound V4 micro

22x16mm 4ohm in the smokebox and a 28x40x11.5mm 2w 4 ohm in the tender,

DCC Concept working BR Lamps

Orange SMD fitted for firebox glow

Thinking of putting a ESU powerpack in the tender as well 

• Like 3