While I agree that it is almost impossible to avoid politics when discussing the modern railway (and probably always was, as many parliamentary decisions on railway Bills were extremely perverse), we need to respect that this forum is provided for us to rabbit on endlessly, completely free of charge, by Andy and his colleagues. So it is their rules we must follow. I admit that at times I have broken them.

Jonathan

Whenever I stumble onto politics I would hope I always do so in an impartial way (thus arguing that I'm avoiding politics) but will at times inevitably fail (we all do) for which I would always apologise.

However, stuff that, so can I appeal to you all to vote Monster Raving Looney Party as one of their candidates assured me it was their party's policy to turn the entire country into one big train set and let all the kids under ten drive the trains, whilst all the adults are busy running International Rescue and flying Thunderbirds.

Now where were they when I needed them.

• Like 1

Whenever I stumble onto politics I would hope I always do so in an impartial way (thus arguing that I'm avoiding politics) but will at times inevitably fail (we all do) for which I would always apologise.

However, stuff that, so can I appeal to you all to vote Monster Raving Looney Party as one of their candidates assured me it was their party's policy to turn the entire country into one big train set and let all the kids under ten drive the trains, whilst all the adults are busy running International Rescue and flying Thunderbirds.

Now where were they when I needed them.

Child labour? I thought that was a different party??

• RMweb Gold

For goodness sake, can we get back to GWML  Electrification? If people really want to discuss methods of funding, then please start another topic. I'm fed up of dropping in here to see what progress there is to find that the topic is drowned out with opinion and polemic.

• Like 4

For goodness sake, can we get back to GWML  Electrification? If people really want to discuss methods of funding, then please start another topic. I'm fed up of dropping in here to see what progress there is to find that the topic is drowned out with opinion and polemic.

Sooner the better!

• RMweb Gold

I noticed the other day when passing over a road bridge that masts (only) now look fairly complete immediately to the east of the Burghfield Road overbridge back towards Southcote Jcn.  In general reasonable progress seems to be occurring on the Newbury line.

And just to refer back to an earlier but partially OT post Govt 'interference' through legislation first began to affect railways in Britain in 1839 and while various things were legally required as a result of legislation in ensuing years a really big change came in 1863 when the Board of Trade was given powers to insist that railway companies, at their own expense, provided bridges to replace level crossings.

• Like 2

Those were the days!

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/the-northerner/2014/may/08/railways-electrification-trains-british-rail-network

I have a copy of that poster in my railway room. Inspiring times!

David

In those days, they had lots of alternative routes (that weren't already congested) to divert the existing traffic over.

For over five years in the 1960s, the Snow Hill route became the de-facto main line between London and the West Midlands and likewise the Midland route between London and Manchester.

The GW has some alternative routes but most of them are way too busy already.

Those were the days!

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/the-northerner/2014/may/08/railways-electrification-trains-british-rail-network

I have a copy of that poster in my railway room. Inspiring times!

David

Doncha just love the Grauniad? BR apparently used a very naughty Baring machine........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In those days, they had lots of alternative routes (that weren't already congested) to divert the existing traffic over.

For over five years in the 1960s, the Snow Hill route became the de-facto main line between London and the West Midlands and likewise the Midland route between London and Manchester.

The GW has some alternative routes but most of them are way too busy already.

Yes, but once the Euston - Crewe was done, the GWR Route was run down, and Derby - Manchester closed, so that the bean counters could make sure every bit of traffic went on the electrified route to justify the expense. Watch what happens when HS2 is done, (if ever)

• RMweb Premium

Those pesky typesetters . . .

David

​Private Eye have had much fun with the Grauniad for many, many years.  I can remember one where during a dock strike the parties had agreed to go into meditation.

Jamie

​Private Eye have had much fun with the Grauniad for many, many years.  I can remember one where during a dock strike the parties had agreed to go into meditation.

Jamie

The best one I heard wasn't a typo, one of their reports of an athletics meeting, where apparently approaching the finishing line, sprinter Kathy Smallwood spread her legs and showed her class.

The best one I heard wasn't a typo, one of their reports of an athletics meeting, where apparently approaching the finishing line, sprinter Kathy Smallwood spread her legs and showed her class.

...presumably a take on the old Ron Pickering commentary 'Colemanball':

While describing an 800m race Ron Pickering said: 'And there goes Juantorena down the back straight, opening his legs and showing his class'.

Unfortuntely over time it has been mistakenly attributed to David Coleman...

Edited by talisman56

...presumably a take on the old Ron Pickering commentary 'Colemanball':

While describing an 800m race Ron Pickering said: 'And there goes Juantorena down the back straight, opening his legs and showing his class'.

Unfortuntely over time it has been mistakenly attributed to David Coleman...

These things always develop a life of their own.

I'm convinced I first heard the famous 'who reads the newspapers' joke, concerning who is supposed to run the country, and always attributed to Yes Minister emerge first from the lips of Dave Allen.

• Like 1

The best "bludner" I ever heard was from the BBC Today programme circa 2004.  In connection with the Middle East peace process, someone or other was hoping to "derail the road map before it even got off the ground". 

Like the one I read the other day about "Stepping up to the plate someone else has left on the table."

• RMweb Gold

Getting back to GW electrification I have been doing a bit more timetable research for a missive to our local 'paper and found a brilliant comparison.  I'm looking at off-peak journey times and noted that in the Winter 1952/53 timetable one could do the journey on one particular train from Paddington in exactly 70 minutes (most of the others took much longer) .  Coincidentally you can do the same journey today leaving Paddington 2 minutes later and getting the same arrival time at the other end as you did in 1952.  Or putting it another way there has been a 2 minute reduction in journey time over a period of 65 years should you wish to leave London mid-morning.

What price electrification?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Getting back to GW electrification I have been doing a bit more timetable research for a missive to our local 'paper and found a brilliant comparison.  I'm looking at off-peak journey times and noted that in the Winter 1952/53 timetable one could do the journey on one particular train from Paddington in exactly 70 minutes (most of the others took much longer) .  Coincidentally you can do the same journey today leaving Paddington 2 minutes later and getting the same arrival time at the other end as you did in 1952.  Or putting it another way there has been a 2 minute reduction in journey time over a period of 65 years should you wish to leave London mid-morning.

One hopes that you will post a link to it, if and when they publish it.

Like the one I read the other day about "Stepping up to the plate someone else has left on the table."

There was a sports one many years ago, from a Premiership rugby match where the commentators were talking about scrums collapsing repeatedly; when the summariser said something like "well it has been well known for years that Bath hookers will go down as soon as they get any chance".

• RMweb Premium

Well, dear boy, trains are a bit lighter these days, don’t you know?