Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Gold

After a spot of breakfast I'll be heading over to Burton Town Hall to 'help' Mark out with Chip Fat Lane.

Mark has helpfully informed me that the appropriate apparel for a DEMU show consists of wellies, shorts, granddad shirt, tank top, braces and knotted handkerchief.

Not sure I believe him...

Anyway, say hello to Mark and I if you're attending.

It seems that knotted hankies are the correct attire...

post-7025-0-96130900-1528099028_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-45525100-1528099166_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

We've had a visitor.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180603_105958.jpg

First of the new Cavalex Models PGAs to be converted to P4?

It's a stunning model and simple wheel swap to convert. Very nice.

Thank you Mark for letting us borrow some P4 wheels and test run one of our PGAs on Fryers Lane, that was very kind of you and much appreciated.

You have a cracking layout and I look forward to seeing your 37/5s in action. Or a class 60....

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Mark for letting us borrow some P4 wheels and test run one of our PGAs on Fryers Lane, that was very kind of you and much appreciated.

You have a cracking layout and I look forward to seeing your 37/5s in action. Or a class 60....

Thanks again.

Looking forward to a Slug too.

• RMweb Gold

See, I do know what I'm talking about, no one ever listens to me.

Where are they at Stu? Nice to see the bufferbeam cowls restored and blue with pre-TOPS too.

Buckfastleigh, on the South Devon Railway.

post-7025-0-07221700-1528139777_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-47936500-1528139811_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It seems my measurement of the train room was slightly optimistic; the 40mm to spare turned out to be more like 10mm. Not only that there isn't enough depth to get the right fiddle yard in and be able to use the sliding fiddle yard. So, plan B it is then.

I'm thinking use the right fiddle yard (because it provides the run round loop) and (at home) replace the left fiddle with a sort (around 600mm) lightweight temporary fiddle. This will still allow me to run the through passenger service (if I want) and will give enough room to swap wagons over on the rear siding.

Elsewhere, I've located some drawings for the signal box.

post-6677-0-00984100-1528140902_thumb.jpg

Having had several false starts on buildings for this end of the layout, I thought a mock up might be a good idea, so have (very roughly) put one together.

post-6677-0-29557900-1528141071_thumb.jpg

Seems to do the job of hiding the exit to the fiddle yard better than the building which was there.

Oh, yes, I'm aware that there is/was a RTP model of this type of box, but I'll be scratch building.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Can you replace one straight FY with a home-based curved one? Or does the P4 minimum radius mean you won't save any length?

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to mention, I think the brick painting on that building at the back is some of the best I have ever seen.

Stop it, I'm blushing :)

Had several people ask me what make of brick paper it was over the weekend, they seemed shocked to find out it was Slater's embossed sheet.

• RMweb Premium

Can you replace one straight FY with a home-based curved one? Or does the P4 minimum radius mean you won't save any length?

I've thought about it, including Fryers into a larger layout or even joining up two modules the same size as Fryers. I might do something like that one day, but for now the mini-fiddle will give me enough scope to get most of the stock onto the layout and operate it in shunting puzzle mode.

• Like 1

I've thought about it, including Fryers into a larger layout or even joining up two modules the same size as Fryers. I might do something like that one day, but for now the mini-fiddle will give me enough scope to get most of the stock onto the layout and operate it in shunting puzzle mode.

That has to be the answer Mark for 90% of the year. I really don't understand the logic of building some Layouts that are wonderful both to look at and operate, but can only be operated at Shows 4 or 5 times a year. 

All the best with the Mini extension.

BTW Shunting puzzles can be very therapeutic.

Hi Mark,

One of the things I was going to ask at Showcase is how you arrange couplings on wagons. Have you only fitted AJs on 'outer' wagons of rakes that pass through Fryers without being shunted or do you fit AJs as standard to everything?

Cheers

Wayne 

• RMweb Premium

BTW Shunting puzzles can be very therapeutic.

Are you suggesting I'm in need of therapy?  :blum:

Is there a window in the train room?

No initiative some people!

Mike.

Have to keep the window clear for throwing stock out of if it persistently derails.  There's an open fireplace and unused chimney though, maybe I need to think vertically?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

One of the things I was going to ask at Showcase is how you arrange couplings on wagons. Have you only fitted AJs on 'outer' wagons of rakes that pass through Fryers without being shunted or do you fit AJs as standard to everything?

Cheers

Wayne 

Hi Wayne - everything apart from the HEAs has AJs at both ends; intermediate wagons on the HEA rake are on instanters while the outers have AJs.  In theory any of the other wagons could be shunted.

Is there a window in the train room?

No initiative some people!

Mike.

Going through an open window could result in all sorts of problems and difficulties,..... Doing just that was almost the last action taken by Charles1 ! 

Edited by DonB

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't easy Stu as the headshunt was too short for the unit to run round. I battled on though.

I should add that the silliness was at the very end of the show on Sunday just before packing up. I was on bestest diesel driving behaviour up to that point. Occasionally it slipped my mind that the controllers were center-off (I blame the heat) and sometimes the AJ couplings decided to gang up on me, but apart from that (and trying to nick the new Cavalex wagon), full best behaviour. Honest. Oh, apart from wearing shorts and a palm tree shirt on Sunday.

• Like 2