Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

You could get a decorator in to do it for you, although that will cost, ive just had a quote to do two bedrooms one painted the other papered just a small amount of £1900 required

Geoff

Have you finished the downstairs toilet yet?

• RMweb Premium

You could get a decorator in to do it for you, although that will cost, ive just had a quote to do two bedrooms one painted the other papered just a small amount of £1900 required

Geoff

That's several locos for the layout...I'll keep doing porridge in that case!

Looking forward to seeing this on Saturday Mark.

Quick question if I may and sorry if I've missed it already, but what are the dims of the layout with a fiddle yard at each end?

Cheers,

Wayne

• RMweb Gold

Quick question if I may and sorry if I've missed it already, but what are the dims of the layout with a fiddle yard at each end?

Cheers,

Wayne

The dims are the layout operators.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers,

Wayne

Sorry for the delayed reply, I couldn't find my tape measure :)

The scenic section measures 4' 8 1/2" (or 1435mm if you prefer) although the external dimensions of the box baseboard are 1460 x 560 x 450 (w x d x h). Each fiddle yard measures 1240mm in length, taking the total length to 3940mm (ish).

• RMweb Premium

Last minute preparation for showcase has included assembling, painting and weathering a skip (etched brass, from Dart Castings bought last weekend at Railex). I've added a bit more weathering powders since taking the photo, I'm pleased with the result.

post-6677-0-86045900-1527833247_thumb.jpg

The fascia extension with its (temporary) infill is all painted, I've even remembered to make a name board for the layout.

post-6677-0-32681200-1527833391_thumb.jpg

I quite like this close up of 20108, reminds me of a photo of a real one that I took when I was a kid, taken from a similar angle.

post-6677-0-75518800-1527833585_thumb.jpg

If you are coming to Showcase do say hello, always nice to meet people who have been following the layout's story on here.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I think Railfreight grey walls and red skirting boards would look quite nice

Personally I'd prefer Rail Grey walls with Rail Blue skirting boards in the reception rooms, Sherwood Green with small yellow tiles in the kitchen and a maroon bathrom with one full yellow end wall.

Mike.

Chris has done well with painting the facia extension, but if that's the colour he's using at home.....

He must have an army surplus shop nearby?

Mike.

At one time it was said that nearly every home in Portsmouth had some Battleship Grey paint in it somewhere, as most people worked, or knew someone who worked in the Dockyard.

See you Sunday Mark.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I always get slightly nervous when it comes time to load the layout into the car, will it all fit? This is the first time the layout has been out since I changed my car last autumn and the new fascia is almost as big as one of the fiddle yards, so it's like adding another board!

post-6677-0-55740400-1527869158_thumb.jpg

Luckily it fits, but only just! The fiddle yard legs now need to travel on the front passenger seat, but at least I got it all in before the rain started (looks like it will be here any minute now).

Now I just need to worry about whether I've got everything!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

After a spot of breakfast I'll be heading over to Burton Town Hall to 'help' Mark out with Chip Fat Lane.

Mark has helpfully informed me that the appropriate apparel for a DEMU show consists of wellies, shorts, granddad shirt, tank top, braces and knotted handkerchief.

Not sure I believe him...

Anyway, say hello to Mark and I if you're attending.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mark has helpfully informed me that the appropriate apparel for a DEMU show consists of wellies, shorts, granddad shirt, tank top, braces and knotted handkerchief.

I'm sure you'll blend in perfectly, no one will suspect you to be a steam era modeller who thinks 47s and 56s look the same

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure you'll blend in perfectly, no one will suspect you to be a steam era modeller who thinks 47s and 56s look the same

Flat fronts both ends, two windows, obviously the same...

post-6675-0-77539400-1527920376.jpg

post-6675-0-65043200-1527920399.jpg