Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

The chimaera is an addition to the layout since I last saw it.

Useful addition for heat and cooking, self sufficient exhibiting, nice.

Andy

Probably weighs less than my fiddle yards too. I'd forgotten I'd made them so heavy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More steady progress. The new control panel (integral to the new fascia) has been wired up, tested and worked first time (phew!)

post-6677-0-11542500-1526735469_thumb.jpg

Decided to add uprights and a bottom to make a full frame for the fascia. With that done, I could add the lights.

post-6677-0-23728200-1526735622_thumb.jpg

Happy that it brings the lighting further forward and helps to reduce the shadow at the front of the layout.

Now just needs a bit if finishing off to tidy things up.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Mark. Very neat.

Are you going to be extending the embankment out to meet the new fascia?

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Currently weighing that one up; first thoughts were a flat shelf, but more I look at it the more extending the embankment makes sense.

• Like 2

Thanks Chris.

Currently weighing that one up; first thoughts were a flat shelf, but more I look at it the more extending the embankment makes sense.

Then build out a new facia and move the lighting forward? :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

Looks good so far Mark.

• RMweb Premium

Then build out a new facia and move the lighting forward? :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Looks good so far Mark.

Thanks Andy.

Don't think there is any risk I'll get caught up in a cycle of continually moving the fascia, then the scenics further out :) Objective here was to light the stock on the layout better, I'm OK with the foreground being less well lit; think it helps draw the eye to the centre of the scene and allows the edges to be more blurred.

Hmm, conifers, canal or caravans. Tough choice...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think that I'm likely to extend the embankment out to meet the fascia. A couple of trees at the left end might help disguise the hole in the sky exit.

Thinking maybe a stream or brook might work; space might be tight for a canal (the added depth is just over a scale 20') and with the LED lighting directly above it might reflect off the "water" which could look a bit odd!

Can't see there being a flat enough area suitable for caravans though, unfortunately.

Hi Mark, you'll see some of the Wagons I bought from you at the Stafford Finescale show on my 4 latest Kings Moreton Videos, 49, 50, 51, and 52.

Really appreciate them, thanks.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

I think that I'm likely to extend the embankment out to meet the fascia. A couple of trees at the left end might help disguise the hole in the sky exit.

Evening Mark

Sounds good. I think a couple of trees down the lefthand end would work well.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If that's a boiler fitted one won't you need to renumber and fit domino headcodes?

Almost. What's that saying about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing? :)

It needs renumbering because 25038 was withdrawn in 1981 and (to match the rest of the stock) I really need one that survived into '86 or '87. Yes, should have dominoes though.

I really wanted to do one of the 25/9s but the body shell I had in mind for that needs a bit more work so will see what time allows between now and DEMU Showcase.

Almost. What's that saying about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing? :)

It needs renumbering because 25038 was withdrawn in 1981 and (to match the rest of the stock) I really need one that survived into '86 or '87. Yes, should have dominoes though.

I really wanted to do one of the 25/9s but the body shell I had in mind for that needs a bit more work so will see what time allows between now and DEMU Showcase.

Hi Mark,

As much as I like baby Sulzers, I was hoping to see Fryers in sectorisation mode at Showcase?  :locomotive:

Cheers

Wayne