Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

I look forward to seeing it at DEMU Mark, the re build's looking good.

I extended Deesdale Road by 4 ft with a new Fiddle Yard on the Thursday before Model Rail Live at Barrow Hill. When I got there, I said to Ben Jones, any chance of another 4ft of room please? Luckily they squeezed it in. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Mark, just been perusing the site and came across your old Wolverhampton Low Level layout. Any news on if it'll be coming off the back burner anytime soon, or are you focussing all efforts on Fryers Lane?

Hi,

The pause button is still pressed on my WLL project. Mainly due to a lack of space and time, but also a nagging doubt about whether it would be sufficiently interesting to operate. It will more than likely morph into a fictitious WR station/parcels depot rather than the true scale replica I'd been planning.

• Like 3

Hi,

The pause button is still pressed on my WLL project. Mainly due to a lack of space and time, but also a nagging doubt about whether it would be sufficiently interesting to operate. It will more than likely morph into a fictitious WR station/parcels depot rather than the true scale replica I'd been planning.

That does sound like a lot more potential Mark, looking forward to seeing some morphing :O  going on soon. :sungum:

Cooking Fat lane perhaps? :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

That time is traditionally known as the "fiddle yard building week"

Funnily enough I spent Tuesday fettling the cassettes for Clackmannan Goods.

Layout is now packed in the car and ready to set off for Scalefour North

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough I spent Tuesday fettling the cassettes for Clackmannan Goods.

Layout is now packed in the car and ready to set off for Scalefour North

I'd hoped I might get chance to pop up to Wakefield to have a look at what you've been up to, but unfortunately I didn't get chance.  Hope you had a good show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

All progress on the layout came to a fairly abrupt stop about a month ago when real life decided to get in the way of small trains.

However, with the DEMU Showcase deadline looming, I do need to get on with sorting out the fiddle yard and the new fascia/lighting rig.

This evening, I've glued the new turnout in position in the fiddle yard.

post-6677-0-66030200-1525033795_thumb.jpg

The plan is to make this sprung rather than use a lever or point motor; well that's the plan anyway...

I've also sawn some strips of ply ready for the fascia. I need to empty the layout of the stock that is currently dumped on it so I can turn the layout over to work on the new fascia.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

All progress on the layout came to a fairly abrupt stop about a month ago when real life decided to get in the way of small trains.

However, with the DEMU Showcase deadline looming, I do need to get on with sorting out the fiddle yard and the new fascia/lighting rig.

This evening, I've glued the new turnout in position in the fiddle yard.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180429_201942.jpg

The plan is to make this sprung rather than use a lever or point motor; well that's the plan anyway...

I've also sawn some strips of ply ready for the fascia. I need to empty the layout of the stock that is currently dumped on it so I can turn the layout over to work on the new fascia.

What are you planning to use as the spring?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

What are you planning to use as the spring?

Andy

Plan A is a length of piano wire soldered to a pad of copperclad, you can see the end of it hooked around the end of the extra long tie bar in the photo. Expecting there will be some trial and error involved in getting the spring tension right!

• RMweb Premium

Hadn't thought of using one of those; I might have one or two spares lying around :)

I’ve got loads in the carpet.

Presumably your stock will have to be a certain weight to over come the spring and not ride over the top of the rails?

• RMweb Gold

I’ve got loads in the carpet.

Presumably your stock will have to be a certain weight to over come the spring and not ride over the top of the rails?

I'm not knocking P4, honest, but, will the finer flanges have enough depth to "dig in" to the gap and move the blade over?

It works in EM without any form of springing on the blades, just natural deflection due to the deeper flanges.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

In a word, yes.

The idea is that, if I've worked out the shunting moves correctly, it's only ever going to be a loco that runs through them when they are set the wrong way. That's the theory anyway.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not knocking P4, honest, but, will the finer flanges have enough depth to "dig in" to the gap and move the blade over?

Not sure, but I'll find out soon! Do have the option to fit a point motor (or just a slide switch) if it doesn't work reliably, but I want to give it a try.

• RMweb Premium

OK, I get the message, I need to stop wasting my time browsing web forums and other forms of social media and get on with fixing the blades in place and doing some testing to see what does/doesn't work :)