Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

So, I started making up a new common crossing to try to improve alignment and get smoother running through the tandem turnout.

post-6677-0-02535300-1486408885_thumb.jpg

However, after a bit of faffing about trying to get things to line up, I decided if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly. Nothing for it, time to get the JCB in.

post-6677-0-33099500-1486409110_thumb.jpg

After a bit of cleaning up, that leaves me with a nice rectangle of baseboard that's ready for relaying to start.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Foam underlay cut to size and glued down:

attachicon.gif2017-02-06_09-47-52.jpg

Meanwhile, two templates printed out, on the first I've glued the timbers in position:

attachicon.gif2017-02-06_09-48-17.jpg

On the second, I've started cutting and bending the rails:

attachicon.gif2017-02-06_09-48-06.jpg

You can get the foam underlay with recesses for the sleepers... Saves having to ballast it..

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Next step, rails soldered to some thin copperclad strips.

post-6677-0-93441600-1486502436_thumb.jpg

With that done I couldn't resist putting it in place on the layout to see how it looked.

post-6677-0-31210500-1486502561_thumb.jpg

Looking along the track from the fiddle yard and the alignment is looking much better than before.

post-6677-0-58436700-1486502635_thumb.jpg

Next up is the joyous task of threading chairs on to rails; so I've started building another wagon kit instead.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant work Mark.

Thanks Andy, very kind of you to say so.

This is at least my third, possibly fourth, attempt at forming the crossings for this turnout, but hopefully my efforts will be rewarded with improved running.  "Brilliant" would have been to get it right first time, but where's the fun in that...

• RMweb Premium

Next track laying task involves trimming the rails to length. I'm not looking forward to that bit. If I file a bit too much off the end of any one of the rail ends the whole lot could end up in the bin. Not a task for a mid-week night with tired eyes and the early stages of man-flu.

Instead I've turned my attention to my ongoing push to finish off dormant projects and in this case they are Fryers related. These two Crab ballast wagons were assembled to this stage a couple of years ago, they might even be in this thread somewhere.

post-6677-0-25678600-1486588840_thumb.jpg

It looks like I'd intended to keep the moulded axleguards but fit pedestal style spring units between them. Coming back to it though I decided I'd get a better result with full brass axleguards to provide the suspension, won't be needed those bits then...

post-6677-0-32275800-1486589052_thumb.jpg

I've borrowed some RCH pattern axleguards from one of my "between the wars" GWR wagons (which are currently paused awaiting a decision on brake gear) to check there is sufficient space between the thinned down solebars, so far, so good.

post-6677-0-21201800-1486589255_thumb.jpg

Oh, and I've accidentally started building a Cambrian OBA kit too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In my defence, there is normally a toughened glass shelf that is a nice fit of my portable workbench, but that is elsewhere with a turnout template taped to it.

No modelling for me tonight, just a Guinness or two.

Big girl's blouse. I had a beer then built a yard of track and carried on with a turnout.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have been on annual leave from work this past week; you'd think that would mean more time for modelling - but quite the opposite.

Had to try to make up for that today, so made a bit more progress with the new common crossings for the tandem. I've been pondering how best to do the next bit, specifically whether to fix the timbers down on the layout or the attach rails and chairs to the timbers on the workbench so the whole thing could drop into place. I decided to go for the latter, so I could ensure the crossing noses ended up in the correct place in relation to the timbers beneath them. Chairs threaded on and fixed I also added to dropper wires to feed the power to the rail.

post-6677-0-85075500-1487530111_thumb.jpg

I've still not quite summoned the courage to cut the rails down to length yet, but can't put that off much longer.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Have been on annual leave from work this past week; you'd think that would mean more time for modelling - but quite the opposite.

Had to try to make up for that today, so made a bit more progress with the new common crossings for the tandem. I've been pondering how best to do the next bit, specifically whether to fix the timbers down on the layout or the attach rails and chairs to the timbers on the workbench so the whole thing could drop into place. I decided to go for the latter, so I could ensure the crossing noses ended up in the correct place in relation to the timbers beneath them. Chairs threaded on and fixed I also added to dropper wires to feed the power to the rail.

attachicon.gif2017-02-19_06-46-46.jpg

I've still not quite summoned the courage to cut the rails down to length yet, but can't put that off much longer.

Chop chop Mark.

• RMweb Premium

I've finally been brave enough to make a start on trimming the rails down to the correct length.

One end done:

attachicon.gif2017-02-21_09-59-07.jpg

Not planning on pushing my luck and doing the other end tonight, that can wait.

attachicon.gif2017-02-21_10-00-31.jpg

Looks like a prototypical P way job to me, just needs the van to drink the tea in.

• Like 1