New Athearn Topeka Cabs for Santa Fe fans

I'm liking it! However, I do wonder why manufacturers always seem to be releasing the same model in the same year or so? Why not offer something else?

Intermountain has announced this one too. It's almost as if they shop at the same factory in China, and that factory is running a production run of a certain shell, and mfg sign up for them to base their models on....

In this day and age of a smaller market (compared to the pre game console era etc), I'd would otherwise think it be much wiser for one brand to be releasing different models than the other, or is that just me?

Koos

Yes, but the manufs don't all sit round a big table and divvy up projects, that'd be seen as uncompetitive, and with todays tactic for some of them to announce them as they are ready for production whilst others announce when they start researching the project two manufs can easily be working on the same thing and not know.

I don't reckon IM would have been working on this if they had known Genesis were already doing so, and I suspect the Genesis shots being shown is a "warning shot across the bows" at IM saying that we're already well underway with their one (which Athearn wouldn't have otherwise announced until they were ready to go into production...)

It does lead to some wierd situations, such as having multiple models on the market of the same ES44/SD70ACE prototypes (NS heritage) but no decent models representing most of the Dash 9 production, one of the most common loco's across the continent in the last couple of decades! 

Indeed Dash 9's are so common you see them almost everywhere you look. The only models I've ever seen of it were amongst others the old Bluebox Athearn loco, which has several flaws, as do others.

It would be interesting to see it released with new tooling and more accurate dimensions.  Not that I'd be buying one in a hurry though, too big for my layout. The same reason apply not to be buying any tunnel motors or the recently released SDP45...  

And as at the Western Union, we no longer run long freight trains, but our sessions have shifted to shorter 'locals' with more operations etc, there's no need to buy something like that for use 'at the club' either.  

Archived