Minsterley - Modern Image OHLE Layout

Doughnut

post-863-0-15051600-1399498627_thumb.jpg

You certainly have captured "the atmosphere", with colours' blending.......stay away from the immaculately cleaned,newly painted railway....not for me.

Now, where are the customers', with,..........unwashed clothing.....

The "Dover Canopy",has been noted........

:drag:

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2

Many thanks chaps. I'm sure you could do it NH; the hardest part is getting the materials, brass angle, H- columns, 0.4mm brass wire and 30 thou. rods, but with the internet, even thats not too hard nowadays. Please give me a shout if you want some tips on how to put them together. Dagworth, on here, is also a great help with OHLE building and Clive Mortimor is an expert at the real thing. Got loads of ideas from these two chaps.

Yes agree with you David, you cant beat a bit of grime on the railways! Thought some of this station might be familiar with you. 8)

Dave

Edited by Doughnut

Building your own OHLE is pretty straight forward if you follow the rules. Dave do you have the pans on the wires as I never found brass upto the job. The stiffness of brass wire meaning that the pans pushed the wire up too easily creating a point where the pan is. I always use guitar string for mine as with correct tensioning and softer pans you can get virtually no wire movement and have wires as thin as 0.2mm which is what I used on Outon Road. With wires that thin though you do have to string up as per the prototype with overlaps and run ons/offs. Looks good though.

Edited by RBE

Hello, no I wasn't planning having them touching the wires. I know what you mean about the brass. When I started I tried some guitar wire which is stiffer, but for a layout this size, you dont get enough and the brass comes in 20m rolls. So I stiffen the brass, before installation, by twisting lengths of it with a dremel. I also have it under a tension, which helps too.

Dave

So, you may have said eariler........... :no:

Coloured Light make®.  ?

Do like your gantry...........

I/we did make this, from various bit's for DP.

attachicon.gifP1090901.JPG

The signals I have are a mix of Traintronics and Eckon/Berko, and scratch built in one or two cases.  Very nice signal gantry you have there. Is it brass/solder??

• RMweb Premium

I'm confused by register arms above it? I've not seen such a gantry anywhere on Britain's mainline.

Just finished the gantry and installed it. Another one done!

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Ah! I see! Thanks for the photo, definitely on parts of the WCML at least - I think that was done to re-use the original gantries and put more space between the contact and catenary wires for higher speed.

Cheers Bob & Terry. Slowly moving forward. Get all the gantries up, down to the bottom of that straight  - through the station and then attach the wires. Then wire up the track to the power and wire the remaining signals on the other side....and Finally Trains will be running....opening ceremony and all that!!!

Hope it works???

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The top parts are for catenary/feeder wire support. Main reg arm is below the gantry. Think they're found on the WCML. Anyway here's a pic :

It's called UK1 and is an upgrade of the old Mk1 system doing away with the pulley wheels. The WCML is being converted.

First time I've seen it represented in model form, well done!

You might want to re-visit your portal though Dave as the triangles only appear above the portal with the registration arm structures below rather than triangles in both.

Andi

It's called UK1 and is an upgrade of the old Mk1 system doing away with the pulley wheels. The WCML is being converted.

First time I've seen it represented in model form, well done!

You might want to re-visit your portal though Dave as the triangles only appear above the portal with the registration arm structures below rather than triangles in both.

Andi

Yes, you got me Andi. I only noticed that, myself,  yesterday when I put up the example pic with the class 92. 'And I would have gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for ............Andi!"

Well spotted!

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, you got me Andi. I only noticed that, myself,  yesterday when I put up the example pic with the class 92. 'And I would have gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for ............Andi!"

Well spotted!

Dave

Don't worry Dave, it happens to us all...

The first couple of portals that I put on Ravensclyffe were wrong, Clive pointed out that I had all the equipment on the same side and it would normally be on the side facing the direction of traffic. Took me months, nay years, to get around to putting it right but I couldn't leave it as it was once I knew.

Cracking stuff though, enjoying watching the development :)

Andi

This weeks OHLE progress.  5 x Headspans (one in progress, hence the bare brass columns), 2 x castellated portals and a cantelever gantry. A few trackside bits and bobs too, such as AWS ramps & TPWS grids and a few axle counters.

Dave

post-863-0-23255500-1400265889_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-36218100-1400265921_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-68186900-1400265951_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-28041800-1400265994_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-28184700-1400266022_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-86059000-1400266173_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doughnut
  • Like 5

Hi Dave, excellent work as always!

Quick question if I may? How to you do the castellated gantry? It is simply a matter of drilling holes through the brass?

Apologies for the dumb question!

• Like 1