I have a feeling that these might be useful

I honestly don't know - but it does look ideal for repowering 4 axle diesels, RDCs, and the like - and should potentially leave much room for DCC or radio and batteries, and a twin bogie powered one should pull like a good 'un - possibly worth somebody picking up a dummy and trying it out, I suspect a bit of "bodgery" to provde bogie pivots may be needed

Edit - think of the space for weight in a DC one!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Yes - New Kato locos have 2 of these....

Not sure yet how they fit as I'm waiting for a new loco to arrive with this 'new and improved drive system'

I also had thoughts of repowering some older models.

Thanks

Do the Kato locos have 2 of these Jack? There's a potentially huge market for these for upgrading older/poorer running locos.

This sure is quite interesting for everybody wanting to improve their stock. However, not totally new:

Some 2 1/2 years ago I ebayed a GE 44ton from B-Spectrum with two motors in her two trucks. Not new (so not expensive), but in good condition and one of my finest runners. A real gem!

Cheers

Armin

PS: only drawback of this loco: her shell doesn't like denatured alcohol (German: Spiritus) - it bleaches (well, I regard it as kinda weathering, must have been working in a chalk ridden region…)

Edit: typo

These are also used in their newest Japanese prototype model; there are two in the P42 models.  And inexplicably in 2012 Kato made zero provision in the P42 models for DCC; fitting DCC is a bit of a kludge.

The new Kato EF510s have these power trucks. I have two of them, one in Hokutosei livery and the other in Cassiopeia. Both came factory-fitted with DCC and sound.

Thanks for that - shame about DCC conversion being a kludge (great word) but it would be good to see pulling power.

I've run 12 passenger cars with the Cassiopeia EF510 and 14 with the Hokutosei loco on my club layout with a ruling grade of 1 in 50, and the locos handled these trains easily. I also used two of these trucks to re-power an old brass JNR ED26 - a big GE boxcab loco - and it will happily haul 30 car freight trains.

• 4 weeks later...

The new Kato EF510s have these power trucks. I have two of them, one in Hokutosei livery and the other in Cassiopeia. Both came factory-fitted with DCC and sound.

They also do the P42 fitted with DCC and sound - but if (like many folks) you're used to buying loco's without DCC, then just popping the top off and plugging a chip in, you'll be in for a big surprise.

They are already going for an inflated US$90 on eBay.

I still want to know if they are using bevel gearing. If so, it's worth salvaging the motor and drivetrain for use elsewhere......

No bevel gears, just a worm on the motor/flywheel shaft, then a chain of spur gears to the axles.

They also do the P42 fitted with DCC and sound - but if (like many folks) you're used to buying loco's without DCC, then just popping the top off and plugging a chip in, you'll be in for a big surprise.

Yes, that is what I'm used to - with Kato HO scale locos, too.  :D 

But having said that, all my Kato models are JNR prototype - their recent releases such as the C56s, D51s, DE10s and EF65s all come fitted with an 8-pin DCC receptacle.

http://www.katousa.com/HO/P42/maint/DCC-install.html is Kato's instructions for adding DCC to the version with just a socket. Not quite the usual plug and pray...  ;)

I particularly like "Optional: You may wish to cut a notch in the side of the mechanism with your rotary tool to slot the wires through...." - if i'd wanted to be milling frames before installing DCC i'd be working in N scale.  :jester: 

Archived