ย 

Now that's what I call a loading dock

I've never seen a building with such a deep 'recess' for sidings...I was visiting the plant adjacent to it last week and saw an aerial view on the wall where I noticed this huge notch in the neighboring building.

ย 

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Memphis,+TN&hl=en&ll=35.031885,-89.879907&spn=0.00638,0.00663&sll=36.170183,-86.669995&sspn=0.006265,0.00663&oq=mem&t=h&hnear=Memphis,+Shelby,+Tennessee&z=18

ย 

My customer in the adjacent plant is receiving 'soy flake' from which they extract soy protein...FWIW.

Interesting if you follow the other siding to the right of there - it crosses E Raines Road but there's something - a pile of earth? - terminating the line, which continues across the road, then abruptly stops at the other side of the road, presumably removed and lost under the new building and its landscaping.

This is the General Motors assembly plant at Wentzville Missouri, the one thing that really stuck in my mind from working there 10 years back was how the rail sidings came into the building with materials and back out again with new GMC vans.https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wentzville+mo+gm+assembly+plant&ie=UTF-8&ei=CZh1UsLPFc6shQfwyoCwBA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

ย 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why the central track was removed?

ย 

That paticular industry was out-of-service before I hired out, but I can certainly guess. ย The center track was probably used for storage and/or someplace to switch to, but of course CSX is cheap (REALLY cheap) and doesn't much care about tracks that are "conveniant" but not "necessary". ย Most likely the track or switch degraded to a point that it was taken out of service and then was never fixed, so they removed the switch.

I'm sure you are right about that!

ย 

Yeah here's another example... the track closest to the mainline was used for storing sugar hoppers and switching to (well technically speaking it used to lead down past the fence into the overgrown area and they loaded trailers on flats... you can still kind of make out the docks down there) but once the track got to the point where it wasn't safe anymore, they put an orange lock (out-of-service) on the switch and left it that way.

ย 

http://binged.it/1dmf6oP

That paticular industry was out-of-service before I hired out, but I can certainly guess. ย The center track was probably used for storage and/or someplace to switch to, but of course CSX is cheap (REALLY cheap) and doesn't much care about tracks that are "conveniant" but not "necessary". ย Most likely the track or switch degraded to a point that it was taken out of service and then was never fixed, so they removed the switch.

What I found odd was the apparent shortage of parking lots.........

ย 

Best, Pete.

What I found odd was the apparent shortage of parking lots.........

ย 

Best, Pete.

ย 

Since it was presumably a distribution centre there would likely only be people in inventory management and people driving forklifts so the one parking lot was probably sufficient.

ย 

Adrian

Archived