Β 

May not be news to some but Aristocraft have closed down, rather suddenly.

I've been wondering why TrainWorld had been selling stuff off cheap. Sounds like Aristocraft were killed by stock costs...they say that the bottom has dropped out of the Garden Railways sector in the 'States.

Β 

Bad news whether you care or not. The Polk family started off with a three floor store on 5th Avenue.

Β 

Best, Pete.

Β 

• RMweb Gold

Aristo doesn't actually shut down until December, they are avoiding goingΒ bankrupt and shutting down in a controlled way according to GSC and LSOL forums,Β and yes they are shipping parts if you contact them direct.

Sadly the economy hit them hard and until 2008 they were growing but then saw the market nose dive, they survived it for nearlyΒ 5 years but spare cash finally ran out to subsidise it. At least they tried to ride it out and unfortunately a load of jobs will go too.

There are already rumours of who might pick up the range. The lack of new models that appealed to their biggest group of customers still with cash probably didn't help. The PCC trolley was a great model to have but was it going to sell in big numbers to customers with mainline stock? I think they got caught out with the wrong model hitting the market afterΒ the economyΒ dived.

ThatsΒ  aΒ  shame,Β  I haveΒ  boughtΒ Β  lotsΒ  ofΒ  AristocraftΒ  overΒ  theΒ  yearsΒ  forΒ  theΒ  gardenΒ  Line,, NiceΒ  BigΒ  USΒ  Diesels!!

Β 

It isΒ  notΒ  surprisingΒ  thoughΒ  thatΒ  theyΒ  haveΒ  run into difficulties,Β  I geuass folksΒ  justΒ Β  dontΒ  haveΒ  enough 'spareΒ  cash'Β  toΒ  fork outΒ  forΒ  $500Β  Locos,Β  notΒ  onlyΒ  thatΒ  hjereΒ  in theΒ  UKΒ  theΒ  changingΒ  weatherΒ  patternΒ  haveΒ  madeΒ  GardenΒ  railwayingΒ  aΒ  lotΒ  moreΒ  'uncomfortable'Β  than itΒ  wasΒ  30 oddΒ  yearsΒ  ago.

Β 

A UK retailer toldΒ  meΒ  thatΒ  heΒ  usedΒ  toΒ  sel atΒ  leastΒ  2Β Β  G scaleΒ  locosΒ  every weekΒ  up to aroundΒ  3Β  yearsΒ  ago,Β  theseΒ  daysΒ  heΒ  can go weeksΒ  withoutΒ  sellingΒ  aΒ  singleΒ  g scaleΒ  ITEMΒ  LuckilyΒ  heΒ  hasΒ  aΒ Β  goodΒ  rangeΒ  of theΒ  smallerΒ  scales,Β  bothΒ  UK, & overseas!

All a bit ironic considering sales of Peco track in the Garden Railway scales have never been stronger, and membership of the 16mmNGM has grown steadily. The market has also managed to absorb some quite hearty price increases over the few years since I have modelled in this scale.

All a bit ironic considering sales of Peco track in the Garden Railway scales have never been stronger, and membership of the 16mmNGM has grown steadily. The market has also managed to absorb some quite hearty price increases over the few years since I have modelled in this scale.

IΒ Β  usedΒ  toΒ  useΒ  PecoΒ  Track on my garden linesΒ  ( SM-32Β  & G1)Β Β  in theΒ  80sΒ  butΒ  IΒ  foundΒ  itΒ  did notΒ  standΒ  theΒ  test ofΒ  time,Β  PointΒ  switch bladesΒ Β  regularlyΒ  partingΒ  from the tieΒ  barΒ  andΒ  sleepersΒ  becomingΒ  brittle andΒ  cracking.,Β  may beΒ  itsΒ  betterΒ  these daysΒ  and theΒ  increasedΒ  salesΒ  areΒ  dueΒ  toΒ  lineΒ  refurbishments

• RMweb Gold

;) Ian and Accucraft appear to be in rude health as they are constantly increasing the range. I fear his astute ways were the reason for dropping the 1:29 - later proposed 1:32 uk diesels.

Had a few Aristocraft diesels over the years and if I had lots of space would have kept them. Concentrated on the smaller G scale which probably rings tyre for many potential Aristo customers.

Archived