Many of the leading manufacturers in the US HO market have had a go at a model of this prototype, the most successful of all US freight locos-Kato, Athearn,Intermountain, and now Bachmann, though there may be others.

How do these models compare to the latest European HO and British OO diesel models . I am interested in a model from the mid-phase late 80's mid1990's machine in UP,Chessie or possibly BN colours, sorry paint schemes.

Is there a definitive model of this great engine?

Hi Paul,

I have owned about half a dozen SD40-2s over the last 10 years or so, mostly from Kato. My personal opinion is as follows:

Bachmann and Broadway - coarse details, older Bachmann are poor runners, however I have seen good results from people who have detailed the Broadway locos. I have heard some good reports about the latest Bachmann release, though it would need to be detailed to compare favourably with the better models from other manufacturers.

Athearn Blue Box - coarse details but an excellent platform for detailing and re-motoring with Kato mechanism.

Intermountain - only released SD40-2w CN version. I've no experience of this model, others on this forum may comment. I have high hopes that the US versions which I believe are to be released in 4th Quarter of 2013 will be of a high standard.

Athearn RTR - Excellent model for its price, IMO the best value for money model available atm, excellent runner after being broken in. Can be turned into a stunning model with a few extra detail parts and weathering.

Kato - most expensive and best performing model available atm, detailing is starting to look a bit dated, but again this model can be turned into an excellent locomotive with the addition of a few readily available and easy to fit detailing parts and some good weathering.

I'm sure that others may disagree with some of the above and add models I have missed.

Personally for my current fleet I would look no further than the Athearn RTR and Kato models, but I am holding off in the hope that Intermountain are able to take their model to an equivalent standard to the recent releases by Athearn Genesis or Atlas.

If a model was produced to the same level of detail as the GP38-2 and GP50 recently released in Athearn's Genesis line I would be a happy bunny and asking Santa to bring me a pair of BN models for Xmas without any hesitation.

HTH

Chris M

• RMweb Premium

I would agree with Chris. The Athearn RTR are superb with often road specific detail, CNW has nose gong etc, Kato slightly less detail but slightly better runners.

Have no experience of the Intermountain ones but they look nice.

Agree with Chris pretty much

In terms of "take out of the box and run" then the current Athearn RTR has it, with lots of road specific fine detail and a pretty reasonable mech.

The Kato has the advantage of being a better runner (although watch out for some very early kit ones that had poor electrical pickup that needed some mods made to be reliable) - Kato has never been 'best in class' on paint jobs, but i'd put them as runner up at the moment.

I've also got high hopes for the Intermountain, if the product matches the hype we're in for a treat - i'm told there are a couple of dimensional issues with the Canadian cab one already released, but nothing that put me off buying mine, it still looks good, has excellent engineering, good detailing and a nice drive (once you tame the built in decoder) - on the basis of the SD40-2W i'd have no hesitation in buying an SD40-2 to run with them.

The recent Bachmann are much better, but are a little "impressionist" in terms of design, the cab for instance has a strange proportion - however they are fairly cheap to pick up, the mech is okay - almost nothing in the way of stand-off or road specific detail. I think these are aimed at the train set market. If you wanted a detailing project however you can pick up old Athearn Blue box ones cheaply...

The Broadway I really don't like - it's priced as a premium product but the detailing and basic tooling is quite poor IMHO - they also are compromised by a simply horrible rear radiator grille which is designed as the speaker enclosure, the style only matches early SD40-2, but they have done lots of schemes/numbers not applicable for that design, and it looks so crude and plasticky it's unbelievable really.

Only just noticed that Athearn announced arrival mid October of new batch of RTR 88" Nose SD40-2s decorated for BN, UP, MP CSX, DM&E, KCS and O&W. There are 3#s for each road.

From a personal perspective BN #s 7067 and 7082 are very tempting as they were allocated Lincoln NB and Alliance NB during my chosen modelling period so would be ideal for me. The question is should I play awaiting game in anticipation of the arrival of the Intermountain engines or plumb for these beauties?

Cheers

Chris M

Only just noticed that Athearn announced arrival mid October of new batch of RTR 88" Nose SD40-2s decorated for BN, UP, MP CSX, DM&E, KCS and O&W. There are 3#s for each road.

From a personal perspective BN #s 7067 and 7082 are very tempting as they were allocated Lincoln NB and Alliance NB during my chosen modelling period so would be ideal for me. The question is should I play awaiting game in anticipation of the arrival of the Intermountain engines or plumb for these beauties?

Cheers

Chris M

In addition I have just been looking at the running #s of the forth-coming BN Intermountain HO SD40-2s and have realised that they all seem to be white face liveried examples of ex C&S engines which were all transferred following overhaul and repaint to Springfield IL. The livery and allocation put the initial release outside my era and chosen geography which is a real shame. Looks like Athearn RTR it is :-).

Cheers

Chris M

Many thanks to all the above for their advice, and it does seem that Athearn RTR 88" nose versions in BN get the vote from  me, though buying direct from the US is expensive when postage and taxes are added.  Looks like an order for model junction......

I agree with what's been said I have a ATHEARN SD40-2 and a SD40 all RTR and all run very well I have a INTER/M SD40-2W in CN livery again it run's very well and is fitted with working D/lights The only problem I have with KATO is that there is little or no detailing difference between railroads only the livery so if you needed say a CP SD40-2 you would have almost a rebuild on your hands :triniti:

........if you needed say a CP SD40-2 you would have almost a rebuild on your hands :triniti:

Oh, it's not that much work; here's one I prepared earlier based on an Athearn Blue box

post-7218-0-95241700-1383386802.jpg

Casting around the various manufacturers' websites it seems that if you want a GMDD (Canadian) built standard cab SD40-2, you need to do some modelling to achieve it. How much is a personal preference; I didn't do the steps on my first SD40-2 as they we're available.

post-7218-0-51882200-1383387194_thumb.jpg

Nick

Archived