Β 

N gauge club layout.

I've recently joined a model railway club, and the N gauge section are all US enthusiasts, which is brilliant!

Β 

We've been working on a layout which is fairly fluid in it's design - we keep adding bits, changing others, and it is growing and evolving steadily. Early days yet, but we hope to have the electrics done and something running by then end of the year.

Β 

I've gotten permission from the rest of the N gauge chaps to post progress up here, so here are the photos of the layout so far! :)

Β 

20131024_215557_zpsd3eafb69.jpg

20131024_215602_zpsab27ea3d.jpg

20131024_215610_zps77709dce.jpg

20131024_215613_zps61af69dc.jpg

20131024_215622_zps238e7123.jpg

Β 

I think it will be generic once we start the scenic work, it will allow us to run pretty much whatever we want that way. :)

Β 

Most of my stock is based around the Burlington Northern Santa Fe and the railroads which have been merged to form it, so that's my leaning, but the other chaps have a lot of steam locos so we will likely run sometime around 1950's onwards I'd say. :)

That's the plan. :)

Β 

We are hoping to extend from the under construction loop next to the painted backscene into a 5 road fiddle yard along the wall, with a traverser at the far end to allow locomotives to run around their consists and head back out onto the layout.

Β 

I'm eager to get cracking with the wiring as it's a facet of railway modelling I've not really done before, but the track laying is incredibly therapeutic I have to say. :D

Fantastic!!

Β 

That's a hell of a trainset you have there :OΒ  :O

Β 

it looks like a typical American modellers home layout, in that it's an elongated figure of 8, is this correct??

Β 

Regards

Β 

Neal.

Essentially yes. Technically when it is finished it will be a point to point from the as yet unbuilt storage tracks to the again as yet unbuilt freight and passenger yards.

Β 

It will have continuous running simply because we can, and with so much space why not?

At the moment there are only 3 of us working on the layout - myself and another member building it and a third helping to operate it.

Β 

Hopefully the main circuit will be completed next week and then we can start ripping up track and adding in industry spurs - which is currently my job :)

• 1 month later...

Cheers Adam!

Β 

Didn't realise you were into airsoft! Where do you play? Not sure if you can make it out but my avatar is of me with my KWA KRISS Vector. :D

Β 

Pictureless update for now, I won't be down at the club again to get photos until Thursday, but there's a lot more work been done. Lots of little jobs accomplished so not a lot seems to have changed, though we have started adding in the supports for the depot and freight yard which will go in the middle of the left side loops. Once that is completed we shall begin adding in the storage tracks to the left hand wall and the incline up to them, starting from the grain silos against the painted backscene.

Β 

The main running lines are complete, all track secure and tested, and the dips and bumps are being evened out with copious use of card packing under the ties. We are also working to ensure all curves are banked for maximum realism.

Β 

Planning has begun on where we can locate spurs and industries for switching, and these will no doubt go in during the run up to christmas.

Β 

Once this is all done, hopefully before the end of January, we can begin the arduous task of completing the wiring before we make a start on the scenery.

Β 

Last week myself and Stan, the other 'builder' for the layout, spent 11 hours working on the layout in one day, and this coming weekend I intend to be there for around 10 hours per day for three days running, so hopefully there should be a lot for you to see once the weekend is over. :)

Β 

Until then, current pictures will be forthcoming on Thursday evening.

Last update before the xmas break! :)

Β 

The running loops have been completed, as has the passenger depot, freight yard and return loop! Not bad considering this is just 6 months work from the 3-4 of us working on the layout! :)

Β 

The yard areas need to be wired up before we can run trains through them though, but that's the first port of call for january. Then work can begin on the gradient up to the staging yard and traversor area.

Β 

Another milestone reached - first scenic work has begun - we began to ballast the track on the double track section that runs underneath the passenger depot. Photos below:

Β 

20131216_215310_zpsb6652b00.jpg

Β 

A CSX hauled double stack set navigates the freshly ballasted curve:

20131216_215315_zps865ab164.jpg

Β 

Followed soon after by a BNSF coal train:

20131216_215126_zpsf4de4ed7.jpg

Β 

Finally, another shot from the reversing curve where the gradient to the staging tracks will pass overhead:

20131216_215147_zps9624bb26.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not updated this in a while as I keep forgetting to take photos when I am down at the club!

Β 

I'll try and rectify that tonight.

Β 

The plan has changed again, and for the better we think. We have decided to change the work in progress storage tracks off to the left of the layout by making them split-level. Have a couple feeding off the lower level, for setting up consists and putting cars on the tracks, and the top level for actually storage of made up trains.

Β 

The top level will no longer be accessed via an incline along the top end of the layout, but will instead run along the top edge of the layout on elevated tracks and curve across the main running tracks to join onto the layout at the entrance to the reversing loop which houses the passenger depot and freight yard.

Β 

Photos should be up tonight, but I'm currently uploading a couple of videos to add to the thread. :)

Archived