Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

For my HAAs I'm using box foam, the dark grey stuff that comes in sheets. I first cut it to shape with scissors and then paint it black. Looks like coal even then but once dry I then paint it in PVA and dip it in fine woodland scenics black ballast or coal dust. Looks the biz and removable for full or empty services.

post-6894-0-48769300-1476396031_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Made a start on applying the transfers to the containers. Used Microsol as instructed to ensure the transfer is applied to the ribs of the container body correctly.

Got the transfers on the underframes to do yet.

post-6834-0-65700700-1476482278_thumb.jpg

Only another 14 to finish off, though been looking on Flickr today and think I will run a 25 wagon rake so will be ordering 10 more at somepoint.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

Looking good. Some weathering and a nice coat of matt and they will be a lovely rake. Another 10 would be good. I have a rake of 25 HAAs and it looks good on BoT. Not sure how long the real Cawood trains were but the 2/3rds rule seems to work well in general for models.

Thanks Cav, yes they certainly need toning down and weathering. I think the rakes through Warrington could vary in length however a couple of pics I have seen have over 25 (maybe 30+) in the rake and a 25 wagon rake is around 6ft in length so should look quite nice on the front of the layout.

Cheers

Simon

I always loved the Cawoods as they weren't something I saw often as a kid as there were no services through Chesterfield that used them. I did envisage a service on Millers Dale that took coke from the coalite plant at chesterfield to the docks at Liverpool to give me an excuse to run a set. I bought one of those kits as a test.

• Like 1

Been doing a bit of searching on the web for information on the PFAs around 2001 which has brought me back to Rmweb and one of Beasts threads http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61169-miscellaneous-wagons/

A couple of containers in the rake are painted in blue with RJB housecoal. When I build the next 10 a couple will be done in this livery - I will need to make my own transfers though. I am still trying to find if any of the British Fuels red containers ever appeared on the Seaforth circuit.

Also it appears alot of containers had the Cawoods logo removed or painted over so basically a rake of 25 identical wagons could have alot of variety with regards to the overall finish.

Cheers

Simon

• 4 weeks later...