Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Hi,

Work on Dallam still continues, not had much spare time to update the thread though. Got another pair of hands to assist which is excellent and hopefully all should be good for Wigan.

Few more items of stock been arriving, the latest is this Southern trains class 171.

post-6834-0-19668300-1464211270_thumb.jpg

The plan is to convert this into a Class 175 DMU using Electra Graphics sides and the Etched Pixels conversion kit. If happy with finished item, a 3 car 175 may follow.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

Over the past few weeks managed to fit the fascias to the lighting units and also started constructing some legs to support the layout.

Dallam is currently sat on legs from a previous layout but they are too narrow really so decided to make new ones.

They have been made with 3x1 PSE redwood. Here is the progress so far on the set which will support the widest part of the layout. The removable long crossmember still needs adding (wall side in pic).

post-6834-0-62177900-1464535528_thumb.jpg

The lighting units with sides and front fascia added.

post-6834-0-82795500-1464535578_thumb.jpg

And a very close call with the kids sleds. Went in the garage this morning to find they had slipped from the rafters in the garage and the lighting pole had stopped them landing on the layout.

post-6834-0-69793700-1464535714_thumb.jpg

Needless to say they are now being stored on the floor!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Although I have been quiet on this thread for the past few weeks, plenty of work has been achieved in that time.

The layout now sits on its own legs, previously it was sat on legs from another layout which was both narrower and shorter so it was a bit of a balancing act to set Dallam up. With the legs now complete, the lighting support poles have now been fitted in position at the widest point. All light units have been slid into place and held with clamps just to check alignment which so far looks ok.

post-6834-0-70466000-1465765816_thumb.jpg

The embankment between Bewsey Road and the CLC overbridge has now been skimmed with plaster ready for painting and scenics.

The HST below is now in a sort of acceptable formation for a Virgin XC set, the only issue is the use of an TFO vehicle instead TSO. This happened quite often when Laira did not have a spare TSO. I may leave the formation like this but put some labels on the door drop lights which inform passengers it is in standard class use.

post-6834-0-56989600-1465766160_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Paul (BigP) for help in providing some vehicles for this set.

Still got quite a bit to do for Wigan 1st & 2nd October but should be able to do it.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

A layout should have a story. With the forthcoming Wigan show on the horizon and also being a member of the Wigan team, I knew that at some point I would need to provide a write up for the layout to go in the show guide. This I managed to do but it was basic. Along came Chris who is know assisting with work on the layout, leave it to me he says and this is what he came up with, I was going to post a few weeks back but time etc, etc.

It has been posted in the Wigan Exhibition thread by Eaton last week. Hopefully, at some point some photos will be taken to link in with this.

Dallam

N Gauge

Era - 2001

I park up my trusty Peugeot 306 Rallye in a side street near Bewsey Road overbridge and walk up to the bridge to see what I can photograph.

86261 slowly comes to a stop with the mail service at signal WN182 on the Down fast waiting to get into the Dallam Royal Mail terminal, the loco goes quiet as the driver puts her into neutral. On the Up fast a DVT leads a London Euston service and starts to slow down for the booked stop at Warrington Bank Quay, 87004 Britannia on the rear sounds wonderful as the Rhesostatic brake kicks in. The whirr of the points can be heard then the ‘click’ of the SL85 filament in signal WN182 as it changes to a proceed aspect with the number four route indicator to send the mail train across onto the Up slow. The unmistakeable noise of the traction control systems fans starting up are heard as the driver slips her into forward, applies a couple of taps on the power controller and the pssst of the locomotives straight air brake being released as the 86 gently moves her load over towards the Up slow and then onward to the Royal Mail terminal.

A 156 heads past on the slow line with a service from Wales to Manchester Piccadilly but thank fully the horrible noise of the Cummins engine is drowned out by the soon to be lamented noise of a Leyland 680 engine as one of Warrington’s last remaining Leyland Atlantean slowly chugs past, followed by a cloud of exhaust, now relegated to daily school bus duties only to see out her last few months of service.

I start to pack up the camera to head up towards Folly Lane to watch the shunting occurring in the yard. In the distance the horn of a class 37 is heard and just have time to dash back to the overbridge to get a shot of 37 tearing south on a infrastructure service for Crewe Basford Hall.

As I walk back to my car, two men are working on a wall that’s been knocked down by a stolen car… “time to get busy, such a lot to do, building and fixing, ‘til it’s as good as new”…. One of the builders shouts over to his mate “Robert do you think we can fix it”

As I drive down Dallam Lane to park up in a side street and pass an M-A-N James Irlam lorry turning into the warehouse. The driver nods to the security man on the gate and drives around to park up after a slow crawl up the M6. He applies the handbrake and continues to sing loudly to himself as he completes his tachograph. … “say my name, Sun shines through the rain, A whole life so lonely, and then come and ease the pain, I don’t want to lose this feeling, Oh”…. ‘Rubbish’ he shouts as he jumps down from the cab ‘the original was much better’.

I make my way up to Folly Lane bridge to watch the yard being shunted and take some more photographs I walk past a young lad shouting down his phone to his girlfriend after his wife had caught him with her “Gonna tell her that I’m sorry, For the pain that I’ve caused, I’ve been listening to your reasons, it makes no sense at all, We should tell her that I’m sorry, for all the pain I’ve caused, you may think that you’re a player, but you’re completely lost, that’s why I sing”… I shake my head and carry on.

In the yard Warrington’s local 08, 08903 is shunting in the yard and I grab a quick shot of the Shunter in action heading in-between the wagons to uncouple the wagons after being tripped up from the Arpley sidings.

Up on the bridge, the road is eerily quiet for a few seconds nothing can be heard except for the little 08 ticking over waiting for the next move.

The silence is quickly broken by the scream of four GEC traction motors, as the driver of 87027 ‘The Wolf’ gets the taps down and holds the power controller over into the ‘run up’ position. He keeps an eye on the ammeters to ensure that they stay in the lower yellow section to avoid overload. The Driver keeps the power up after the station stop and gets her up to 80mph for the enforced speed restriction around the curves at Dallam on the Down Fast.

A man runs past heading towards town, looks down at his watch and curses….”I drank too much last night, got bills to pay, my head just feels the pain, I missed the bus and there’ll be hell today, I’m late for work again…..”

The layout is based on Dallam, ¾ mile north of Warrington Bank Quay station on the West Coast Mainline. Its set in the 2001 which was the Indian Summer for loco hauled trains and HST’s as the following years Voyagers and later Pendolinos started to erode into loco hauled trains on the Virgin West Coast and Virgin Cross Country services.

The layout depicts the area between Folly Lane overbridge at the north, Dallam Yard and under Bewsey Road overbridge and then under the Cheshire Lines (Warrington Central line) to the South.

Numerous different types of traction and trains are covered, with EWS, Freightliner Heavy Haul, Freightliner Intermodal, and DRS serving the freight.

Dallam consists of a four track mainline with Dallam sidings, the scenic section is 14’6” but the overall size is 19’x3’. The layout is an oval with hidden sidings around the rear.

The track is standard N gauge Peco track (code 55). The Overhead line stations are part scratch built and also using N Brass.

The buildings are all scratch built based on actual building in the area.

The baseboards are created in the standard way with plywood tops. The layout is lit with four strips of LED’s.

How many of the song lyrics from 2001 was you able to get and for a bonus point the artist that sang them in 2001! Unfortunately there are no prizes on offer!!!!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 9

I'll go for Atomic Kitten, Dido, Shaggy (or technically Rick Rock IIRC) and I'm guessing Bob the Builder?!

Like the back story and the layout looks superb!

Thanks for the comments,Yes think thats correct, the Dido track is the one sampled by Eminem.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Work on Dallam still continues, not had much spare time to update the thread though. Got another pair of hands to assist which is excellent and hopefully all should be good for Wigan.

Few more items of stock been arriving, the latest is this Southern trains class 171.

attachicon.gif2016-05-25 22.14.27.jpg

The plan is to convert this into a Class 175 DMU using Electra Graphics sides and the Etched Pixels conversion kit. If happy with finished item, a 3 car 175 may follow.

Cheers

Simon

Isn't there a 175 available on Shapeways?

Hi,

The painting of the lighting unit fascias are now complete. Fitted all the light units in position and also fitted the exhibition drapes (which need a good clean and iron) to get an idea how it should look. Unfortunately cannot get a full layout shot in the garage.

post-6834-0-71478400-1466110620_thumb.jpg

Need to decide what colour to paint the light unit support poles, currently thinking something similar to Executive Dark Grey.

Another posed photo.

post-6834-0-91259700-1466110725_thumb.jpg

The Etched Pixles class 175 conversion kit also arrived today, if I can get hold of the Electra Graphics FNW livery 175 vinyl kit, I may try and get it ready for Wigan.

post-6834-0-44614700-1466110846_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Starting to really come together now Simon it seems.

Fair bit to do for October though. :D

Thanks Cav, yes you are right there is a fair bit to do. Got a plan of attack in place and with having Chris helping aswell now should make things easier. Unfortunately some stock such as the 92 & 175 may not be ready in time so may just concentrate on say the 175 first for Wigan then get both 92s ready for Stafford in 2018.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

First of the road vehicles to arrive, the Farish MAN articulated lorry in James Irlam colours.

post-6834-0-71752200-1466246435_thumb.jpg

Going to need quite a few of these eventually. It is a very nice model. Just need some cars Vectra, Mondeo, Focus types etc.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Evening, bit of a progress report. Quite alot has been completed over the past few weeks. All the lighting units are now painted and in position and bolted together (led strips in situ and all working with good light coverage - the photos below have been taken with the layout lights switched on).

I have been looking at Folly Lane overbridge and decided to remove the Scalescenes brick paper and replace with plasticard. Here is the progress so far, still a bit of weathering to complete.

post-6834-0-32502300-1467578658_thumb.jpg

Stock is also being progressed, a forth class 20 has been purchased for £25 from Hattons, someone had removed the motor so it was an ideal candidate for my DRS fleet.

post-6834-0-89611400-1467578801_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 14

Hi SImon,

The bridge and the curve of the track looks spot on. Great work!

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Thanks, hopefully should start to come to life with the addition of some scenic material. Just ordered a few packs of Palisade fencing from Arch Laser Co to see what its like as the majority of the lineside around Dallam had this type installed by 2001, there are some small sections with wire/mesh type fencing aswell.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Finally started to apply some scenic material. A base layer of static grass has been applied using Greenscenes Flock-it applicator, additional material, foliage etc will be added as required.

post-6834-0-07974500-1467914844_thumb.jpg

Apologies for another picture of the HST, its the only stock I had to hand in the garage.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments, although the layout is progressing well and going sort of to plan, nerves are starting to set in regards the first show at Wigan. 12 weeks today it should be set up mid-late afternoon ready for the Saturday morning opening! :O  :scared:  

Cheers

Simon

The Palisade fencing has arrived today. Here is one of the kits. Each kit has one pair of gates and comes pre-painted in grey. The finish is very fine indeed and I think I will stick with this for Dallam. This kit will make a fence length around 380mm including the gates.

post-6834-0-82582800-1467997782_thumb.jpg

Also picked up some Farish MBA Monster box wagons to form a scrap metal service to Seaforth.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3