French railway reform bill unveiled

PLANS to restructure France's railways took a step forward on October 16 when transport minister Mr Frédéric Cuvillier presented a reform bill which, if endorsed by parliament, will bring French National Railways (SNCF) and infrastructure manager French Railway Network (RFF) together under an umbrella organisation.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/policy/french-railway-reform-bill-unveiled.html

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a typical French Govt fiddle to me as it gives the umbrella organisation a chance to shift debt between the two organisations.  I wonder if it is strictly compliant with EU 91/440 )although I appreciate that in theory it could be demonstrated that it is) as the present structure clearly separates RFF and therefore should present no obstacles to tracing investment sources and what they actually buy with their money.

Overall to me it looks very much like SNCF (in particular) trying to get round 91/440 in order to deal with its debts and over-bureaucratic highly expensive management strategies - but then I've seen them at close quarters and know how they work.

Archived