Crewe Works. Whats currently in there?

Jon Fitness

Trains have got more component based and reliable - they don't need a big works anymore just somewhere to send bits to for servicing.

Wolverton and Springburn owned by Knorr-Bremse still service/upgrade stock as does Eastleigh but the work volume of work is nothing like it was.

You've also got work being done by LNWR at Crewe, Brush in Loughborough, EMD have a siding in Longport,Stoke plus DB does it's own heavy engineering at Toton.

That may be true but I think you are missing the point. 

Major works like Crewe were manufacturing plants not just servicing.  Raw materials went in and new locomotives came out.

We no longer do that on a major scale. We buy most of it from abroad like many recent diesels coming from Canada.

• RMweb Premium

That may be true but I think you are missing the point. 

Major works like Crewe were manufacturing plants not just servicing.  Raw materials went in and new locomotives came out.

We no longer do that on a major scale. We buy most of it from abroad like many recent diesels coming from Canada.

Hitachi in Aycliffe are currently building a large rolling stock works - primarily for the IEP programme, but with an eye on the European market. Although the IEP plant will fit out and assemble shells from Japan, they have enough land (and plans) to have the capability to expand into a fully fledged body shell plant.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/news/11245419.Milestone_reached_at_Hitachi_Rail_Europe%E2%80%99s_Newton_Aycliffe_factory/

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Amid all the dereliction of the old works there are still some nice area to be found in the town, queens park has had something of a renaissance after a long drawn out refurbishment, went there on sunday as it was such a nice day as its only a 10 mins walk from the house

Entry to the park is via the twin gate houses and clock

DSCF8296.jpg

DSCF8228.jpg

DSCF8231.jpg

DSCF8232.jpg

Which has this inscription carved into it.....

DSCF8233.jpg

DSCF8234.jpg

DSCF8235.jpg

DSCF8236.jpg

DSCF8237.jpg

DSCF8238.jpg

DSCF8239.jpg

The clock has this in the side

DSCF8229.jpg

This is looking back towards the new cafe and war memorial

DSCF8294.jpg

Where there were a troop of bagpipers practicing

DSCF8246.jpg

The war memorial for the burma war

DSCF8226.jpg

Also over the road to the park is the old LNWR orphanage whichiphone is currently sat unused

DSCF8242.jpg

Complete with old BR signage

DSCF8241.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Jim

Many thanks indeed for the pics.............I was born(1948) just ten minutes walk from Queens Park....where my grandmother would push me in my pushchair in my early years.

I was born in McNeill Ave, just off West St.,, about 50metres as the Crow flies from the Erecting Shop, where my grandfather worked with responsibility for the locos motion gear, until he retired in 1967.

All your pictures are fond memories, as it was the area I grew up in, only to leave when I got married.

Thanks...............Bob.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Have any of you walked along West Street , alongside the very high red brick wall of the length of the erecting shop.?

As a child in the 50's and 60's , I can remember the whole wall being painted to resemble a row of terraced houses....if you look carefully today, it is just about still recognizable as such, but now badly faded.

Bob

I believe they painted them like that during the war to disguise the works from ariel assualts

I'll get some pics tomorrow if i get a chance on my way into town to the model show

That would be interesting if you could Jim.    I know it was for camouflage purposes.........but if the Germans missed the Erecting shop with their bombs, it was only 100yds on the other side of the road to Rolls Royce.  They were that close together, as you obviously can see as you drive by.

• RMweb Gold

cracking set of shots there spent ages looking through them, a few familiar faces, then i stumbled across one of brad pitt that must have got mixed up with the batch!!

http://railpicturelibrary.zenfolio.com/p565588551/h6698e6e3#h49bd04f0

(first time i've seen that pic, seems like a lifetime ago!!)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

bit of a bump for this topic

they have now built a Mc Donalds and a pub on part of the old works site, between flag lane and the shortened works buildings, but they have had the foresight to leave the trackbed clear between the car park and mainline, much to my surprise this morning i noticed they have relayed the track since the weekend, where there has been none for a few years is now sat waiting for tamping

C065A039-D7D1-46FA-9492-E7F602D1C993_1.j

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thats the one

In fact if you look at the the above pic you can see a couple of bridge pillars, where the brick wall ends and pallisade fencing starts, (above the skip), if you also look at the cl40 pic you can see them too, the above poc is taken from pretty much the same place but at a lower elevation

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

In 1969 I was -4 years old ! :O

Did go on plenty of the Sunday morning works tours as a kid, always guided round by the little bloke in a long black coat and trilby  :mosking:

Happy days.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold

Did go on plenty of the Sunday morning works tours as a kid, always guided round by the little bloke in a long black coat and trilby :mosking:

Happy days.

Cheers,

Phil.

Did many of those too with my dad in the 80s

• RMweb Premium

I may well have seen you there Jim!

Then sandwiches for lunch, in the station carpark, overlooking the avoiding lines, before an afternoon on the station.  :sungum:

I have still got some truly terrible pics from those days!!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did go on plenty of the Sunday morning works tours as a kid, always guided round by the little bloke in a long black coat and trilby  :mosking:

Happy days.

Cheers,

Phil.

Likewise.

Was it two tours - 10am and 2pm?

Once did one in January and nearly didn't home because of the snow. Must dig out the photos of the snowdrifts IN the works.....

In one of the workshops, we were under strict instructions not to take pictures... Somewhere I still have illicit photos of the first 90 and 91 shells in workshop green primer.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just spent a very interesting (if somewhat depressing!) 20 minutes wandering through this thread.  As many have commented, the changes at Crewe are unbelievable over the time, but I guess we should be satisfied that at least something of it still survives.

I wonder if anything ever used the new track that was laid?  Im guessing that is the main line connection into the works??

Rich

• RMweb Gold

apparently they lifted the track in error when they cleared the site for maccy d and the 4 eagles and they had to put it back in, nothing looks to have used it since relaying, they tamped it with handheld machines rather than on track plant

the mainlne connection is still in but i think they would have to do some serious tree surgery before anything could use it again