Graffiti & Weathering ideas

I tried weathering some stock for the first time at the weekend.  Here is a link to photos of the boxcars, feel free to comment on improvements.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nirailfan/10562140114/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nirailfan/10562106465/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nirailfan/10562121064/in/photostream/

A really good start.

An opinion - ref the BC rail one in particular, painting the wheel faces makes a *huge* difference - I would always suggest painting the wheel faces on all freightcars, even ones you haven't time to/don't want to spend a lot of time weathering, as it makes a huge difference to how "solid" the car looks and how it appears to sit on the track - all the manufacturers seem to provide lovely shiny silver looking metal wheels these days, great for running, but you'll never see a real car with shiny silver wheel faces, even a brand new one!

For a weathered car, i'd usually start with (acrylic) frame dirt and brush paint the wheel faces, trucks and any underframe bits visible from the side - that's a good "base coat" if you want to weather more carefully later, (or if you like the 80/20 rule, it's 80% of the effect, and 20% of the effort...) - Dirt mostly collects from the underside up, so doing this is worth it even on a car you're only lightly weathering the body on.

For a car you are modelling as a brand new car, the wheels should be orange/reddish rust, and on modern ones the bearing caps are often blue which makes a nice spot of colour (you'll also see the occasional replaced wheelset on old stock, that also stands out as a bright red rust coloured wheel against the frame dirt)

For a car you're leaving unweathered, my suggestion would be to use matt black on the wheel faces, it's not 'accurate', but it makes the wheels dissapear into/become part of the black underframe/truck, rather than standing out as shiny silver. (Using a brown on just the wheels seems to point out that you haven't weathered anything else!)

A really good start.

An opinion - ref the BC rail one in particular, painting the wheel faces makes a *huge* difference - I would always suggest painting the wheel faces on all freightcars, even ones you haven't time to/don't want to spend a lot of time weathering, as it makes a huge difference to how "solid" the car looks and how it appears to sit on the track - all the manufacturers seem to provide lovely shiny silver looking metal wheels these days, great for running, but you'll never see a real car with shiny silver wheel faces, even a brand new one!

That's exactly what I've been doing two weekends ago, I weathered one hopper, and painted the wheels on another 20 cars a dark matt brown colour (humbrol RC402) , that instantly made a huge difference as I expected. I will now take my time and when I have a moment, take on a car at a time for a bit more weathering here and there.

I have a couple of sheets of Microscale graffiti decals, which I will apply on a few cars. I'm not doing all of them. I model the early 90's and although graffiti was around, it didn't seem to be such an epidemic as it currently seems to be. Hardly one car is left untouched...

The current style of graffiti didn't really get going until the late 1990s -- you have a hard time watching any Conrail DVD and seeing anything like the current graffiti. It's puzzling that there was a 20-year gap between New York subway graffiti and 1990s+ railroad graffiti. One cause may be the lack of lettering on modern cars other than reporting marks and minimal data -- another may be the lack of supervision around rail terminals.

It pretty much disappeared in NYC because the Transit Authority started a policy of pulling a train out of service as soon as there was any graffiti on it and cleaning it up. It was one of those quality of life things, they really made a big effort to make the subways safer and more attractive to use. Plus Mayor Ed had them use big dogs in the yards to deter artists http://www.nytimes.com/1981/09/15/nyregion/dogs-to-patrol-subway-yards.html

It is a bit puzzling it took so long to spread to the freight railroads. Changes in rolling stock in the 70s (bigger cars, all those nice shiny IPD boxcars) had provided plenty of "canvases" for artists to work on and there were plenty of unsupervised locations where cars were available.

It is a bit puzzling it took so long to spread to the freight railroads

Cultural shift maybe? Have a theory on me...

80s view:

Putting graffiti on something local in your home city makes you visible to the other folk in your community in your city. Its about the other groups, the other gangs even seeing what you've done, what you've dared to do, where you've dared to go, so putting graffiti on something that may well be rolling West through rural New York state by morning being watched by some cows and a farmer making a tutting noise does very little for you. 

Modern view?

Your community is now global, it's much less about local gang rivalry, it's much more about (what they at least would view as) their art and culture, and now the internet allows you to view or search for works of artists in other parts of the country, even the world. Put your work on a freightcar and let it tour the country and you're potentially visible to other folk who follow that community all over North America. Some have even made a name and career for themselves at this. Exit through the gift shop...

Add to it that passenger railroads post 9/11 are even more intolerant of trespass than they were before, but freightcars are often left unattended in quiet accessible locations, so the risks of detection are much, much lower...

Dear Glorious,

If you're looking for a "why?", reccomend picking up the Roger Gastman book "Freight Train Graffiti" linked to by Shortliner earlier,
answers all the questions and puts the development of freight graffiti (inc it's ties to 60s/70s/80s era NYC subway "wholecars") into cultural and personal context...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Archived