Show us your Police cars

Not too sure they even had Morris Minors in the USA, never mind use 'em as Cop Cars...??

(hating to sound the Klaxon of Pedantry, but this is a thread in the USA Section, about US Police Cars... :D )

Funnily enough, on page 74 of "Signatures in Steel" by Greg McDonnell shows a Morris Oxford MO parked outside Spadina roundhouse.

Captain, Wikipedia does refer to limited Minor sales in the US and I do recall a reference to an American road test in an article on the Minor - it commented that you could pretty much drive round using only 2nd & 3rd (manual) gears!

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Those of you who remember 'Bonanza' on TV in the 1960's will remember the character 'Hoss' Cartwright played by Dan Blocker who was a big guy well over 6 feet and built like a brick outhouse. There was a magazine article about him that showed the car he drove, a Morris Minor convertible.

As promised - albeit the last three photographed on my (in progress) HO Loft layout - pics of my two O Scale US Cop Cars; both Chicago Police, one circa 1980, the other present day....

IMG_1216_zpsf4a99eb9.jpg

IMG_1218_zpscb969731.jpg

And just for good measure, with their respective Period Taxis as well... :D

IMG_1221_zpse6fddf8b.jpg

IMG_1222_zps2a697e11.jpg

It's on the wrong side of the road.

:)

I think that's the least of it's worries....

I once saw for sale on eBay and located near Seattle a Red 1986 MG Metro, complete with Washington State tags straight over the top of it's UK ones. The $3,000 price probably reflected more of it's import cost than what it was really worth...

Funnily enough, on page 74 of "Signatures in Steel" by Greg McDonnell shows a Morris Oxford MO parked outside Spadina roundhouse.

Captain, Wikipedia does refer to limited Minor sales in the US and I do recall a reference to an American road test in an article on the Minor - it commented that you could pretty much drive round using only 2nd & 3rd (manual) gears!

Nick

The Minor did sell in limited numbers in the US, and you usually find one or two at British car shows. In fact, there were many attempts to sell British cars over here in the 50s, 60s and 70s, but apart from sports cars they pretty well all were failures. John Black's notion that Americans would take the Mayflower to heart must represent one of greatest examples of delusional thinking in automotive history. About 1,000 of them came over here. The Standard 8 and 10 models did manage a modest 308,000 sales between 1953 and 1960, but as the interstate highway system changed driving habits there was limited appeal in vehicles that had been designed with 2 lane roads in England and relatively short distances.

Then there was the reliability issue, which sports car owners might put up with but Joe Public was in no mood to tolerate for long. Even when Rover disguised their last effort under the Sterling label, build quality put an end to any hopes of selling the cars. In 1987 Honda sold 109,000 Acura Legends (designed alongside the Rover version), Sterling racked up a whopping 14,000 sales.

I very much doubt any police department would ever have bought a Morris Minor! That's not to say there weren't some interesting police cars around. It took CT a while to really get into the act of the plain wrapper car, their first attempt was simply an LTD with no markings. This was pretty obvious, since most civilian sales of LTDs included whitewall tires, so the plain black tires on an LTD was a dead giveaway, even when they tried changing the color scheme. The Buicks and Mustangs they then bought with fancy alloy wheels and tinted glass were a better attempt, but we all got used to those quick enough.

Asset forfeiture laws meant that at least in CT cars seized in drug cases could be used by police, and the state played around with that idea for a while. You learned to be wary of apparently broken down vehicles including for a few days a shabby looking white van around on ramps on I-91 because the vehicle probably contained a cop with a radar gun and a radio to tell his buddies round the bend in the Ford LTDs who they needed to pull over. And for a while they used an unmarked white Corvette to nab unsuspecting drivers.

Pleased to see the searchlight on one of those models, another distinctive feature would be the big bumpers for pushing disabled vehicles out of the way http://www.swps.com/go-rhino-bumpers.html

• RMweb Premium

Back in the 70's my mother took in exchange students. One student was the son of a New York car/motorcycle dealer who was contracted to provide vehicles for the NYPD. He saw a British car that he thought would be ideal for parking wardens in New York (Who at the time used 3 wheel motorcycles with a box on the back. The British car that he was considering? The Reliant Robin! I understand that it was seriously considered but was rejected because it wasn't American.

Not sure that he has been "pulled over", but it looks to me as though he is about to be "ticketed" for parking alongside a fire hydrant! Or is that a "red party hat" on the roof of the black & white?

Close-ups on N-scale cars can be cruel... the party hat is on the black & white.

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/AS5333/page/1

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Not sure that he has been "pulled over", but it looks to me as though he is about to be "ticketed" for parking alongside a fire hydrant! Or is that a "red party hat" on the roof of the black & white?

I had to look at it carefully before I could work out what that red blob was - indeed, it's the light on the roof.

• 4 weeks later...

"....... In a statement today a government spokesman said that he was unable to confirm or deny the presence of National Security Agency operatives in the Caledonia County area.  And now sports news....."

post-7218-0-94750000-1386425492.jpg

Resprayed Trident Chevy Suburban - maybe could use tinited rear windows

Archived