Β 

Decoder fitting to Bachmann GP38-2

Any ideas where I can find instructions on fitting a decoder to a Bachmann GP38-2. (I know you can buy it with DCC on board, but the one I've got doesn't have that). I have checked the TCS listing and there are instructions for fitting the TCS M1 to a Bachmann GP35 which is the closest. However, the GP35 chassis is the old split frame type and the GP38-2 is different. The main chassis block splits horizontally and I've a suspicion that the motor is not live to the chassis and that therefore a simple de-soldering of the wires to the motor and routing via the decoder should be all that's needed. Anyone know if I'm right?

CHRIS LEIGH

Any ideas where I can find instructions on fitting a decoder to a Bachmann GP38-2. (I know you can buy it with DCC on board, but the one I've got doesn't have that). I have checked the TCS listing and there are instructions for fitting the TCS M1 to a Bachmann GP35 which is the closest. However, the GP35 chassis is the old split frame type and the GP38-2 is different. The main chassis block splits horizontally and I've a suspicion that the motor is not live to the chassis and that therefore a simple de-soldering of the wires to the motor and routing via the decoder should be all that's needed. Anyone know if I'm right?

Β 

I've hardwired one into an SD40-2 recently and I **think** that's the same as you describe, I just soldered it in connected to the two motor wires and the four truck wires, I don't believe there's any power running via the chassis block.

Archived