Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

• RMweb Gold

Some of the reports of faults in this thread encouraged me to inspect mine even more closely than usual; at the risk of sounding smug, I didn't find anything wrong.

However, modifying the bogies to avoid any possibility of the ends spreading will be a priority and I'll probably fit some nicer buffers, too. 

The biggest task will be painting and detailing the interior and adding some 'staff'. This is one coach that won't look daft sitting in a siding with people in it!

All in all, a very nice little project to occupy a few long winter evenings.

John

I completed my EM conversion today:

P1010001-005_zps1bc34f23.jpg

P1010002-002_zpsccd67f1f.jpg

Now riding on Comet bogies.  Bufferbeam detail was added.  I'm thinking there should be guard irons at both ends for propelling.

The interior has been painted although I don't know how correct it is.  I also added a couple of chaps.  The table clutter is some scanned and drastically reduced track plans and some teacups from plastic rod.

John

• Like 5

Yes, I agree about the guard irons.  There are two pieces supplied with the coach and what look like locating holes under the LH buffer.  I thought perhaps they were guard irons.  The photo in Essery & Jenkinson shows something under the LH buffer.  Wonder what they could be.

Looking at the reporting codes for LMS, I would go for code 9: "...officer's special requiring to stop in section or at intermediate siding in section."  The lamp is on the lower right bracket when the viewer is facing the coach.

Code 8, which has the lamp on the on the lower left bracket is for "through mineral or empty wagon train."

John

BTW, I find this site to be useful for reporting codes etc.:  http://www.solihullmrc.org/head_and_headlampcodes.html#lms1937

Edited by brossard

Or for modern image modellers you could create this unusual consist with GBRF & the Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trusts 6320 - It has been modified with refurbished B5 bogies though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60628514@N02/15166272349/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60628514@N02/15353030575/in/photostream/

I'm not sure of the purpose of that move was though - presumably something to do with GBRF & LUL given the two GB/LUL 66s and a rake of ex Metronet / GBRf MLAs.

There are two photos in Steve Bank's article which appear to show saloons being propelled, both have the lamp lower left, i.e. Class 8. As they clearly aren't Class 8s I suspect the position was not critical as long as there was a headlamp on it somewhere.

Could the two extra bits be footsteps ? There are a couple of photos in Bank's article and also the 1998 Model Rail walk-around article showing steps under the left-hand corners of some saloons but not others (BR modification ?).

It might depend on when the picture was taken.  In the link above, for 1970/1972, that lamp position denotes code 5 for "Empty coaching stock".  "Empty" in this context might have been interpreted to mean "not carrying paying passengers".  Code 9 is still listed.  Then again I could be over analyzing and the lamp could be either side.

I did notice footsteps on some blue/grey coaches, but they're not on the LMS examples.  Added by BR to ease access to the water fillers?

I'm now wondering if those small bits are perhaps brackets to secure the vacuum hose when not in use.  Using a torch, I can see a hole next to the coupling hook.   Post #193 provides some clues and tells me I put the vacuum hose in the wrong 'ole.  There's an L shaped pipe that looks like it should probably connect to the hose (emergency brake?).

John

Edited by brossard

Again referring to the link above, this time for 1958, the codes are now letters and "officer's specials" aren't mentioned.  Code J (lamp on LHS) is for Mineral or Empty Wagon Train.  Perhaps your theory about the need for a lamp, but in no particular position, is valid.  Perhaps someone interpreted the saloon as an "empty wagon".  This is all great fun.

I haven't seen the picture in question.  Was the article in a magazine?  Do you recall which one?

John

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure of the purpose of that move was though - presumably something to do with GBRF & LUL given the two GB/LUL 66s and a rake of ex Metronet / GBRf MLAs

Hi Surfsup

IIHIC its a move to the Severn Valley Railway so that railway staff from the companies involved can have a play with their engines somewhere they are allowed to drive them

Cheers

Phil

How quickly were these repainted - noticed in the latest Model Rail they have paired the BR maroon one with a post 1967 green full yellow end no D to its number Class 20 while publishing a photo of a late crest Ivatt 2 2-6-0 with a BR maroon one with black end. Bachmanns maroon one presumably relates to a short mid 60s period when the ends of coaches were painted the body colour rather than black before the yellow end was applied or repainted into blue/grey. For a 1968/9 layout I presume I would need a blue/grey one or a maroon one with yellow end.

How quickly were these repainted - noticed in the latest Model Rail they have paired the BR maroon one with a post 1967 green full yellow end no D to its number Class 20 while publishing a photo of a late crest Ivatt 2 2-6-0 with a BR maroon one with black end. Bachmanns maroon one presumably relates to a short mid 60s period when the ends of coaches were painted the body colour rather than black before the yellow end was applied or repainted into blue/grey. For a 1968/9 layout I presume I would need a blue/grey one or a maroon one with yellow end.

I wondered about the black ends, I've seen a picture in a magazine circa 1960 of a BR maroon saloon with black ends. I thought maroon ends came in with the changes in painting methods early/mid 60s.

Dave Franks

I'm fairly sure from discussion a few pages back in this topic, that small yellow panels or full yellow ends were not applied to maroon vehicles.  The yellow was part of the blue-grey repaint.

I'm fairly sure from discussion a few pages back in this topic, that small yellow panels or full yellow ends were not applied to maroon vehicles.  The yellow was part of the blue-grey repaint.

Yes correct, and nobody has come with a photo to prove otherwise.

I think the maroon ends was c 1964-5 until blue /grey came along.

Merf.

One is currently being rebuilt at Eastleigh as a dining car, for TfL!

http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2014/09/12/fancy-a-luxury-meal-in-a-london-underground-train/

This one has B5 bogies fitted as well, with various work being done to the interior. I think the side steps may have to be altered to bring it within sub surface gauge.

Regards,

Dan

• RMweb Premium

Batch production, all into the same boxes and then all off to the same retailers, so poorly assembled lot will virtually all end up with one (or more) particular retailers while other retailers have no problems.

Indeed, and to me it is also likely that those models which fail quality control checks and are "repaired" are boxed and packed together, again resulting in one or a few retailers getting all the "bad" ones. That's why if I can't inspect a replacement model in the shop, I prefer to ask for a refund and buy from another retailer whose batch will hopefully be ok.

Edited by brushman47544

After my earlier question regard weather or not this inspection saloon was the same as Caroline ( which it is not ) is this saloon the same as the one painted in EWS maron similar to the one created by the n gauge society

Yes, I think they are based on the same vehicle.

post-1467-0-80202000-1353838559.jpg

39-775_1529608_Qty1_1.jpg

• Like 1