Essex Express

Recent scan of a 1985 print, Pitsea. No idea what I was doing there, but glad I got the old-style station sign in:

post-6971-0-72106300-1380564722.jpg

And another Clacton unit, at Romford in 1984:

post-6971-0-24340600-1380565021.jpg

The later flat windscreens definitely disfigured their look

From the same rainy day in Romford, some boxes:

post-6971-0-34761400-1380565481.jpg

And from 1985, Chelmsford. More poor weather prompting me to lower the shutter speed. Good selection of cars below

post-6971-0-67145900-1380565877.jpg

That's about it from this Man of Kent (ducking to avoid missiles from across the estuary)

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 4

Recent scan of a 1985 print, Pitsea. No idea what I was doing there, but glad I got the old-style station sign in:

attachicon.gif1985prints_0017-Pitsea.jpg

And another Clacton unit, at Romford in 1984:

attachicon.gif841116-Romford-02.jpg

The later flat windscreens definitely disfigured their look

From the same rainy day in Romford, some boxes:

attachicon.gif841116-Romford-01-37044-37021.jpg

And from 1985, Chelmsford. More poor weather prompting me to lower the shutter speed. Good selection of cars below

attachicon.gif85-16-17.jpg

That's about it from this Man of Kent (ducking to avoid missiles from across the estuary)

These are fantastic photos mate, no need to duck!!! we wouldnt do that??? lol just look at all them classic retro motors in that last shot !!! love it! thats my fave! cheers for sharing!  :derisive:

• RMweb Premium

Blimey!!!  thats all a bit technical! ive lived next to that mast for 8 years and never really given it a second look, ....... now i cant stop looking at it hehee nice one Clive, cheers  :sungum:

I have drawn all 58 the mast from the last plain cantilever mast just before Highfields Road bridge to the next plain cantilevermast which is behind the PFE building on Eastways. There are 56 non standard mast as you travel through Witham.

• Like 1

Barking is/was in Essex isn't it?

We took our bikes on the train from Kent to Woolwich, through the foot tunnel and pedalled across to Barking, to find something exotic, so what should appear, but a 33 on tanks! 1979 from a grotty instamatic shot:

post-6971-0-36896500-1380567336.jpg

From a later trip, 1984, a 302 unit still with workable headcode blinds:

post-6971-0-23774900-1380567335.jpg

The other route from Kent was via the Gravesend ferry and Tilbury Riverside, here in 1983. I've posted this before in the context of motor luggage vans - the motor coach in this one was converted to passenger accommodation from being a luggage van (a small batch built like that for boat trains from Tilbury I believe):

post-6971-0-41889400-1380567544.jpg

Also from Oct 1983, and more p*** poor weather, Grays, with a unit in the bay for the Grays-Ockenden-Upminster shuttle as it was then:

post-6971-0-04871400-1380567928.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 3

Hi Nedrahn

You missed the AM9s before they were refurbished, they were great.

No argument there. Judging by photos it seems they were more stylish as originally built. I think there are obvious parallels with the CEPs. The CEP refurbishment was quite remarkable. Swindon did an excellent job of updating an old design, and I always loved riding on a refurbished CEP (as an enthusiast, thankfully not as a commuter :no:). However, I have to say the CIGs still looked better, and were certainly more comfortable. They were refreshed rather than heavily refurbished, proving that an old design could still be a good design. Would a more limited refurbishment for the CEPs and AM9 have produced a better unit? I'd love to have experienced a red AM9 in its heyday, or for that matter a 123 and 124. Bring on the time machine or millionaire with a thing for replica rolling stock.

Dare I whisper it, I even enjoyed bouncing around in VEPs, always choosing a VEP if one happened to be tied on to a CEP at Charing X. I'm sure some members have looked at my posts in another thread and concluded that I'm not right in the head. This might have proved it!

• Like 1

I have drawn all 58 the mast from the last plain cantilever mast just before Highfields Road bridge to the next plain cantilevermast which is behind the PFE building on Eastways. There are 56 non standard mast as you travel through Witham.

Impressive stuff mate, Whats the oldest mast there? do they get renewed at all??  :scratchhead:

Barking is/was in Essex isn't it?

We took our bikes on the train from Kent to Woolwich, through the foot tunnel and pedalled across to Barking, to find something exotic, so what should appear, but a 33 on tanks! 1979 from a grotty instamatic shot:

attachicon.gif126_0031.jpg

From a later trip, 1984, a 302 unit still with workable headcode blinds:

attachicon.gif84-15-19.jpg

The other route from Kent was via the Gravesend ferry and Tilbury Riverside, here in 1983. I've posted this before in the context of motor luggage vans - the motor coach in this one was converted to passenger accommodation from being a luggage van (a small batch built like that for boat trains from Tilbury I believe):

attachicon.gifN9_0002.jpg

Also from Oct 1983, and more p*** poor weather, Grays, with a unit in the bay for the Grays-Ockenden-Upminster shuttle as it was then:

attachicon.gifN22_0024-37034-Grays.jpg

Excellent set of photos, i love a grainy instamatic shot!! more atmosphere! cheers for posting ;)

• RMweb Premium

Barking has not been in Essex since 1931, it is in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Trouble is like Romford and Illford they were not part of the London  poastal districts so the Post Office continued to say they were in Essex. This should have stopped in early 70's with the adoption of the national postcode system but people still say these towns are in Essex.

• RMweb Premium

Impressive stuff mate, Whats the oldest mast there? do they get renewed at all??  :scratchhead:

All the mast in Witham date from the electrification of the Chelmsford to Colchester section of the line. Except those on the Braintree Branch from the junction onwards these date from when the branch was electrocuted.  Mast tend not to be replaced until they are so knackered they would fall down (as on parts of the old 1500V DC between Liverpool St. and Shenfield) or the track layout drastically altered they are waving around in mid-air.

I have not visited the station since the new entrance was opened, and from the photos cannot tell if any new mast have been added to the Maldon Branch platform.

• Like 1

All the mast in Witham date from the electrification of the Chelmsford to Colchester section of the line. Except those on the Braintree Branch from the junction onwards these date from when the branch was electrocuted.  Mast tend not to be replaced until they are so knackered they would fall down (as on parts of the old 1500V DC between Liverpool St. and Shenfield) or the track layout drastically altered they are waving around in mid-air.

I have not visited the station since the new entrance was opened, and from the photos cannot tell if any new mast have been added to the Maldon Branch platform.

Electrocuted?

• RMweb Premium

Electrocuted?

Hi Lloyd

My first wife's mum said "There use to be a level crossing instead of the bridge, before the line to Braintree was electrocuted". And any mention of the Braintree line since then, it is always electrocuted.

The bridge she was refering to is the one at the north end of Church street leading to the Cherry Tree pub.

• Like 2

Here are a couple more pictures of units 

post-7081-0-20476300-1380632447_thumb.jpg

Shoeburyness carriage sidings, a mixture of class 302 and 308 units including 232, 279, 317, 318, 283 and 238, 26/3/83

post-7081-0-38420000-1380632489_thumb.jpg

Purfleet with class 302 unit 268 approaching 25/10/83

cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Clive, My ex used to run the cafe on that platform, and all through the new entrance planning construction and opening phase i cannot recall any masts being replaced.

Hi Lloyd

My first wife's mum said "There use to be a level crossing instead of the bridge, before the line to Braintree was electrocuted". And any mention of the Braintree line since then, it is always electrocuted.

The bridge she was refering to is the one at the north end of Church street leading to the Cherry Tree pub.

My nan and grandad lived next to the crossing keepers house there, they recalled back in the days of steam when the gates were not opened to rail traffic due to a crossing keepers strike and the gates ( or bits of  them) ended up in Witham station on the front of the engine! :mosking: I remember playing in my nans back garden there watching the dmu's and sugarbeet trains before that line was electrocuted as Clive puts it!! happy days!  :sungum:  :declare:

• RMweb Premium

I suppose I better join in with some photos, I have sorted out just over 100 poor to even poorer quality photos I took in the 80s around Essex and some in Liverpool Street which I hope will be of interest to some of those viewing this thread. 

I will start off with one from the topic title. At Chelmsford

post-16423-0-00572800-1380656075_thumb.png

A few from Walton -on the- Naze in 1980 when it still had a two platform station , AM9s and semaphore signals

post-16423-0-09707300-1380656098_thumb.png

post-16423-0-35679400-1380656117_thumb.png

post-16423-0-22868100-1380656355_thumb.png

And the last in this batch, the buffer stops on the ends of the loops at Witham, close to where Glenn lives.

post-16423-0-78229200-1380656376_thumb.png

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A few more.

As requested by Mr Dagworth

post-16423-0-81551400-1380658122_thumb.png

Another shot of Motts Lane crossing, with now demolished crossing keepers house, and the portal mast outside Glenn's bedroom.

post-16423-0-90709700-1380658139_thumb.png

A 313 at Colchester.

post-16423-0-62429800-1380658168_thumb.png

Two photos of BRCW 104 cars. The first one is at Chelmsford. I was on a special going somewhere and this DMU train was in Chelmsford station. There was a DMU service early on a Sunday morning but it was a rarity even back in the 80s, more so with a BRCW car.

post-16423-0-01975700-1380658193_thumb.png

Sorry about the quality.

The other is at Colchester, on a Sudbury to Colchester train.

post-16423-0-49191000-1380658213_thumb.png

I think this shot of the was taken the same day, from a moving train. There is the water tank wagon, a BTH, Snowplough, some 21 ton hoppers, and the 80s were boring.

post-16423-0-40690100-1380658247_thumb.png

Last, not the bestest of photos but it does show two of the searchlight signals at Witham. The nearest being for the down loop with a feather for the Braintree branch and the other is for the down main, with a feather to the down loop. Note the upper yellow for when it showed double yellow. 

post-16423-0-08867400-1380658270_thumb.png

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A few more.

attachicon.gif6.png

Ah, at last, my Anglecan! I'm a happy man...

Another shot of Motts Lane crossing, with now demolished crossing keepers house, and the portal mast outside Glenn's bedroom.

attachicon.gif7.png

And one can never get enough pictures of Clactons

Andi

• Like 1

I suppose I better join in with some photos, I have sorted out just over 100 poor to even poorer quality photos I took in the 80s around Essex and some in Liverpool Street which I hope will be of interest to some of those viewing this thread. 

I will start off with one from the topic title. At Chelmsford

attachicon.gif1.png

A few from Walton -on the- Naze in 1980 when it still had a two platform station , AM9s and semaphore signals

attachicon.gif2.png

attachicon.gif3.png

attachicon.gif4.png

And the last in this batch, the buffer stops on the ends of the loops at Witham, close to where Glenn lives.

attachicon.gif5.png

Excellence Clive sheers excellence!!!!  Love the Walton shots!!!!!!  and the buffers at Witham, that poor little cottage a distant memory now

A few more.

attachicon.gif6.png

attachicon.gif7.png

A 313 at Colchester.

attachicon.gif8.png

Two photos of BRCW 104 cars. The first one is at Chelmsford. I was on a special going somewhere and this DMU train was in Chelmsford station. There was a DMU service early on a Sunday morning but it was a rarity even back in the 80s, more so with a BRCW car.

attachicon.gif9.png

Sorry about the quality.

The other is at Colchester, on a Sudbury to Colchester train.

attachicon.gif10.png

I think this shot of the was taken the same day, from a moving train. There is the water tank wagon, a BTH, Snowplough, some 21 ton hoppers, and the 80s were boring.

attachicon.gif11.png

Last, not the bestest of photos but it does show two of the searchlight signals at Witham. The nearest being for the down loop with a feather for the Braintree branch and the other is for the down main, with a feather to the down loop. Note the upper yellow for when it showed double yellow. 

attachicon.gif12.png

Who dares to say the 80's are boring!!!!?????? thats my era my fave decade and i wish it still was the 80's and not just for the trains!!!!!  cheek of it!!! .......... sorry i digress, These are brill clive love the motts lane shot, my dad used to take me down there as a kid, the 40's clagged well on that stretch, never dreamed in 30 odd years id be living there!  :jester: