BR unfitted & vacuum braked wagons by Trevor Mann

Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Premium

Quick update.  Ordered from WH Smith online on 31 October 13, for free delivery to my local branch.  Received an email this morning to say that it has been "despatched" and will be at the branch "within the next ten days"....

Sort of wishing I'd ordered from elsewhere now... and I know it's my own fault for trying to save a couple of quid.

And whilst I think that Amazon have somewhat spoiled us with our delivery expectations, this doesn't seem particularly good service to me.

Yours in slight disappointment,

ZG.

Had exactly the same message, after ordering at what seems roughly the same time.  Went to Smiths this afternoon, who said it might be there tomorrow.

The I ordered from Book Depository on 29 Oct arrived today so not much different timewise to WHS, could be they were advertising them before stocks actually arrived. On the good side it was packed in a protective envelope that actually fitted through my letter box, unlike every other on line recently which has entailed a trip to the sorting office.

• RMweb Gold
Downer, on 08 Nov 2013 - 19:12, said:

Mine arrived.  A wonderfully informative book.  

In fact so did mine - got an email form the branch at 15:12 on Friday afternoon to say it was there and ready for collection. So I did :no:

The "within 10 days" delivery estimate turned out to be 24 hours - so I'm feeling more kindly disposed to WHS at the moment (in spite of being asked if I wanted to buy any half-price chocolate when I went in to collect)...

Been too busy to have a good look yet - but hopefully will get some time this evening.

Best Regards,

ZG.

....I've used WHS considerably less since their suggest selling campaign started. When I have to, I make a point of stating that I simply wish to buy e.g. a magazine upon reaching the till and should the assistant start to suggest sell then I refer them to my first statement...they get the hang of it fairly quickly.  

Dave

• RMweb Gold
Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71, on 10 Nov 2013 - 16:35, said:

....I've used WHS considerably less since their suggest selling campaign started. When I have to, I make a point of stating that I simply wish to buy e.g. a magazine upon reaching the till and should the assistant start to suggest sell then I refer them to my first statement...they get the hang of it fairly quickly.  

Dave

:no:    And no, I don't want any Ocado vouchers either, thank you very much...

Best Regards,

ZG.

• RMweb Gold

Quick update.  Ordered from WH Smith online on 31 October 13, for free delivery to my local branch.  Received an email this morning to say that it has been "despatched" and will be at the branch "within the next ten days"....

Sort of wishing I'd ordered from elsewhere now... and I know it's my own fault for trying to save a couple of quid.

And whilst I think that Amazon have somewhat spoiled us with our delivery expectations, this doesn't seem particularly good service to me.

Yours in slight disappointment,

ZG.

Sorry to hear that you've had problems, ZG, although I think I see from a later post that you've now had your copy.

Frankly, chaps, I couldh't agree more with what ZG has put above (my red highlight). We all have a 'local' bookshop - The Titfield Thunderbolt - http://www.titfield.co.uk/

For those who don't know, this emporium is pretty much the best railway bookshop I've ever seen (and I've been in a few, including Ian Allan in Birmingham). Simon Castens has a superb stock, plus a growing model railway stock, and whilst you will probably have to pay the cover price, the service you get from him is second to none.

This is because he is an enthusiast himself, with a life-long interest in model railways and the real thing. His book reviews on the website are based on a deep knowledge and interest in the subject. If you are able to visit the shop (in Larkhall, a suburb of Bath, and very handy for the M4/A46), you will not only get the good, personal service, you can also relax on his in-shop sofa, check through the books and probably enjoy a cup of coffee from the man himself!

To me, this is something that the book equivilent of 'box shifters' will simply never emulate. I know that Amazon will save you money (and I'm not going to deny using them myself from time to time for non-railway items), but Simon has put such a huge effort into creating this wonderful shop, that in my view, he really does deserve all the support people like us can give him.

Finally, thanks to all who have made comments about this book, I shall get a copy myself in due course (and now, you know who from!).

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear that you've had problems, ZG, although I think I see from a later post that you've now had your copy.

Frankly, chaps, I couldh't agree more with what ZG has put above (my red highlight). We all have a 'local' bookshop - The Titfield Thunderbolt - http://www.titfield.co.uk/

For those who don't know, this emporium is pretty much the best railway bookshop I've ever seen (and I've been in a few, including Ian Allan in Birmingham). Simon Castens has a superb stock, plus a growing model railway stock, and whilst you will probably have to pay the cover price, the service you get from him is second to none.

This is because he is an enthusiast himself, with a life-long interest in model railways and the real thing. His book reviews on the website are based on a deep knowledge and interest in the subject. If you are able to visit the shop (in Larkhall, a suburb of Bath, and very handy for the M4/A46), you will not only get the good, personal service, you can also relax on his in-shop sofa, check through the books and probably enjoy a cup of coffee from the man himself!

To me, this is something that the book equivilent of 'box shifters' will simply never emulate. I know that Amazon will save you money (and I'm not going to deny using them myself from time to time for non-railway items), but Simon has put such a huge effort into creating this wonderful shop, that in my view, he really does deserve all the support people like us can give him.

Finally, thanks to all who have made comments about this book, I shall get a copy myself in due course (and now, you know who from!).

Last time I went into the TT I ended up minding the shop so Simon could pop out to get milk for the coffee! You can guess where I'll be buying my copy...

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Gee shucks......

I'd better let you have one of my chocolate biscuits next time you visit!

Said book in stock, looks pretty good to me.

Joking apart thanks for the kind comments - I do try.

Some people are even kind enough to say that I'm very trying........

Toodle Pip!

Simon

Archived