Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

...One thing the line never had was 3rd rail. And I do love the sounds of EMUs....

I know. That's why along with the full route reinstatement you were awarded the bimodal fuel cell/electric Class 666 'Rule breaker' units to enable through operation over the 'preserved' section of the route, operating the future national network services.

In the future, everything is possible.

• RMweb Gold

A quandary how and why she got there but she looks pretty at Canute Road Quay full review in this months (October) issue of BRM our today or on my blog here as a reminder https://grahammuz.com/2018/09/07/the-Bachmann-ex-lbscr-h2-class-brighton-atlantic-4-4-2-grace-and-presence-in-one-locomotive/

post-243-0-51458000-1536871108_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Very pretty indeed...

Looks suspect to me. How can someone in taiwan already have them when they arent released yet?

If a dealer in Taiwan ordered a batch, would they not be delivered directly from the factory, or would they have to come via Barwell initially? If they went directly to the dealer from the factory then I'm not surprised they are available.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

Hi,

The Hornby magazine review says it has a 5 pole skew wound motor.

Is this the first five pole motor in a released Bachmann OO British loco/multiple unit?.

Looking at the photos of the motor in Hornby magazine and the Modeller I can't see a lot of skew but it is a small motor (semi open frame).

Apart from being tempted by this loco I thought I would never see in RTR I'm interested in the motor in spares form as a donor for kit built multiple units.

Regards

Nick

The Hornby magazine review says it has a 5 pole skew wound motor. Is this the first five pole motor in a released Bachmann OO British loco/multiple unit?...

It wouldn't be, because their Blue Riband range started out with five pole motors as standard in both steam and diesel. The D+E retains the five pole motor (TTBOMK, anyone know of exceptions?) but the steam models went over to three pole units pretty early. Very efficient three pole units it should be said, and that's certainly the case on the Ivatt atlantic which shares a mechanism layout with the LBSC atlantics. (I suspect an inability to count of the author, but am prepared to be pleasantly surprised if erring in this matter.)

Just to demonstrate that they know critical customers like better motors, Bach's OO/HO 'Thomas' that I opened up had a skew wound five pole job in it. I assume the better motor spec was in recogintion of the need to get those eyes moving really smoothly...

It wouldn't be, because their Blue Riband range started out with five pole motors as standard in both steam and diesel. The D+E retains the five pole motor (TTBOMK, anyone know of exceptions?) but the steam models went over to three pole units pretty early. Very efficient three pole units it should be said, and that's certainly the case on the Ivatt atlantic which shares a mechanism layout with the LBSC atlantics. (I suspect an inability to count of the author, but am prepared to be pleasantly surprised if erring in this matter.)

Just to demonstrate that they know critical customers like better motors, Bach's OO/HO 'Thomas' that I opened up had a skew wound five pole job in it. I assume the better motor spec was in recogintion of the need to get those eyes moving really smoothly...

Hi,

I assumed all D+E from the Class 25/24 onwards had the three pole motor and that the steam outline OO had the same (apart from those models with coreless motors).

I've since read that the MRM Ivatt C2 Atlantic was to have a 5 pole motor.

Maybe I will see what the price is of a Thomas motor to get one for evaluation.

Regards

Nick

Tempting, and PayPal only, so some protection. But a UK buyer may get stung for importing, so the bargain reduces. Caveat emptor, as ever.

I bought it, I'll let you know how I get on, as you say though, paypal offers buyer protection, which was really the main reason I hit buy now. 

...I've since read that the NRM Ivatt C1 Atlantic was to have a 5 pole motor.

Maybe I will see what the price is of a Thomas motor to get one for evaluation.

The NRM C1 that I own is very definitely equipped with a 3 pole iron core motor in the standardised style of Bachmann's steam model motors, that I first saw in their BR Std4 2-6-4T and std5 4-6-0, and all of their steam model introductions that I happen to have looked at since (which is by no means all of them!). No doubts at all about this as the motor can has cutouts in the flat sides, and a paint stripe on one pole making the counting of poles very simple.

This of course is not the LBSC model, so this is not binding on that model. But I feel it is very unlikely that Bachmann will have deviated from their consistent practise of about sixteen years.

I wouldn't bother with the 'Thomas' motor on the basis of the single specimen I have seen. It was low on torque and outperformed by Bach's regular 3 pole unit.

I bought it, I'll let you know how I get on, as you say though, paypal offers buyer protection, which was really the main reason I hit buy now. 

I was thinking of buying it, hesitated, and you won!  :)    I suspect it will be fine, and a good price too!