4 SUB Unit 4377, Bulleid 2 HAP upgrade - plus all matters third rail.

Colin,

As ever a wonderful piece of work, I just sit and drool over everything you do. You could of course just leave the emblem as it is, then when Hornby or Bachmann, or anyone else brings one out with the same mistake you will be able claim royalties! I gather the Ordnance Survey always put a mistake into each map to catch out anyone who just copies their work. You mentioned that you are exhibiting in Mid-Wales this summer; can you let us know where and when? I need to plan in a visit to see your masterpieces in the plastic as it were!

Lovely work and thanks for sharing everything you do.

very best wishes

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey,

Thanks for your kind words there. The Newhaven Harbour layout will be exhibited for the last time at a local show near Aberaeron on August 10th. I can't imagine it worth coming too far to see such a motley collection of EMUs running around on a spuriously named layout, but you are welcome! Certainly make yourself known to me if you do come.

I shall post information on the exact location of the show nearer the time. (I do not think the club publicises their exhibition on RMweb.)

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Newhaven is just a tad too far for me (as is anywhere else in the UK!!), but otherwise I would dearly love to see your units in operation, 'in the flesh', Colin.

:)

Edit: Newhaven or  Aberaeron!! Still too far away!! :blush:

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

Have you informed the good folks at Aberaeron that they're likely to get an awful lot more visitors than they think, thanks to the appearance of your layout? I'll even take a few days off from the Proms to go there and see it again.

Edited by Budgie

Unfortunately, Newhaven is just a tad too far for me (as is anywhere else in the UK!!), but otherwise I would dearly love to see your units in operation, 'in the flesh', Colin.

:)

Hi SRman,

I live some 260 miles from the 'real' Newhaven. So that just makes it worse! (Aberaeron is on the West Wales coast.)

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

Have you informed the good folks at Aberaeron that they're likely to get an awful lot more visitors than they think, thanks to the appearance of your layout? I'll even take a few days off from the Proms to go there and see it again.

Crikey Jane,

Are you sure? I'm a long way from Beckenham!

All the best,

Colin

Crikey Jane,

Are you sure? I'm a long way from Beckenham!

All the best,

Colin

206.9 miles according to the AA site Hull to Meopham. You win again Colin. You should relax now and plan to build a more simple EMU. How about a DD unit?

I'm kidding!

Gone in a cloud of dust and swirling newspaper! :bye: 

• RMweb Premium

Are you not being chased by Andy Y to bring Newhaven Harbour to RMWeb Live? I can't belive that he will pass you by!

If any layout is worth Andy Y wanting its got to be yours! Then lots of us can drool over your workmanship. Sadly I fear you might not have a minute to yourself as no doubt your 'Groupies' won't leave you alone!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Judge Dread writes "How about a DD unit?"

Well in the latest edition of 'The Southern Way' - Issue 25 - there is a nice article by David Monk-Steel as Part 3 of his EPB Story on the very same. Lots of details and even good photos showing roof detail. Well worth a read if anyone (!) is interested in building a set.

Godfrey

Judge Dread writes "How about a DD unit?"

Well in the latest edition of 'The Southern Way' - Issue 25 - there is a nice article by David Monk-Steel as Part 3 of his EPB Story on the very same. Lots of details and even good photos showing roof detail. Well worth a read if anyone (!) is interested in building a set.

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey,

No DD I'm afraid.

At the present rate of production it would take me longer to construct than building a layout to run it on! I did once have a ride in one of the trailers at Ashford though.

All the best,

Colin

Are you not being chased by Andy Y to bring Newhaven Harbour to RMWeb Live? I can't belive that he will pass you by!

If any layout is worth Andy Y wanting its got to be yours! Then lots of us can drool over your workmanship. Sadly I fear you might not have a minute to yourself as no doubt your 'Groupies' won't leave you alone!

Andy G

I had the pleasure of seeing Newhaven at Tonbridge last year and can confirm it is stunning. RMWeb live would be a fitting finale to the retirement from the exhibition circuit. Go on Andy ak the question,

Paul R

10th August? I might actually be in the UK! Whats anothew few hundred miles after 11,000? Would I qualify as the longest distance visitor? :-)

Hi John,

Yes, you would be by far the longest! Please don't make any arrangements until I have confirmed the show date and timings.

All the best,

Colin

Hi John,

Yes, you would be by far the longest! Please don't make any arrangements until I have confirmed the show date and timings.

All the best,

Colin

I'll not base my trip on the show, it is mine and my wife's 50th this year so will be coming back around then anyway. BUT, it'd be foolish to pass up an opportunity to see the layout and your stock. When you live in NZ distance is relative. We have a visitor here and I took him out for the day today. I drove 400km and didn't bat an eyelid. Oh, and visited the Driving Creek Railway ( http://www.drivingcreekrailway.co.nz/ ) while I was at it. :-)

• Like 3

The 4 SUB is lmost externally finished, there are just a few small paint jobs left to do, including painting the shoe beams and grab handles on the fronts of the cabs. (Oh, and a few handles on the luggage doors.)

post-8139-0-73364600-1389911235_thumb.jpg

I couldn't resist adding one or two later replacement 'No-Smoking' transfers on the trailer coaches. Howard's commode handles are all made and fitted. It was a bit of a slog, but they do look rather nice and the difference in the metals used: nickel silver for the commode handles and etched brass (Roxey) for the door handles (edit: does not really show too much).

post-8139-0-89879100-1389911250_thumb.jpg

(I really must learn how to spray-paint properly one day!)

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 10

Hi Colin,

The all but finished unit looks excellent. The commode handles are particularly nice. Well worth the time and effort. What colour are you panting the cab front handrails, I know some units had orange painted ones. Whether this applied to the 4Subs or not I don't know. I don't think you have to worry too much about your spray painting, the unit looks spot on to me. After all the windows and commode handles on this unit you deserve a lie down in a darkened room!! 

Cheers for now, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Colin,

The all but finished unit looks excellent. The commode handles are particularly nice. Well worth the time and effort. What colour are you panting the cab front handrails, I know some units had orange painted ones. Whether this applied to the 4Subs or not I don't know. I don't think you have to worry too much about your spray painting, the unit looks spot on to me. After all the windows and commode handles on this unit you deserve a lie down in a darkened room!! 

Cheers for now, Ian.

I know how he feels, when you paint stuff yourself you are never happy, but they look fine at normal viewing distances.

Colin can see all the imperfections the camera finds, he looks at the work of Larry Goddard for example and thinks he would love to be that good.

It is simply striving to be better.

Hi Colin,

Cheers for now, Ian.

Thanks for your comments Ian.

Re. the cab front grab rails, I had assumed they were going to be yellow, but will check prior to painting them as I don't want another 'right-facing lion' situation!

All the best,

Colin

I know how he feels, when you paint stuff yourself you are never happy, but they look fine at normal viewing distances.

Colin can see all the imperfections the camera finds, he looks at the work of Larry Goddard for example and thinks he would love to be that good.

It is simply striving to be better.

Thanks for your comments Martin.

The digital camera is one of the main tools I use for model building these days. Everything gets photographed as work progresses to check on the look and proportion of parts. It is about this time in the building of a model that I take stock to see what could be done better next time.

Re. the paint finish: I do have a constant fight against dust in my workshop and the paint work has also suffered a bit from being done in the cold damp December weather - despite the central heating being cranked up there. But as you say, at normal viewing distances most glitches do not show - but I know they are there!

All the best,

Colin

• Like 2

Very well put Martin.

I also think that the digital camera and what I sometimes refer to as "cruel close ups" can show blemishes which are actually hardly visible to the human eye.

A great thing when one is striving for perfection, but important not to be too self critical also.

Colin, the paint work is champion and you have nothing to worry about and lets face it, if you're still not happy, there's always a coat of brown you can cake her in.....

Smashing work as always.

Cheers.

Sean.

Thanks for your comments Ian.

Re. the cab front grab rails, I had assumed they were going to be yellow, but will check prior to painting them as I don't want another 'right-facing lion' situation!

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin,

I have just looked at some photos and the grabrails are indeed yellow, seems some of the BR standards had orange ones.

Cheers for now, Ian.