Narrow Gauge line in Nice.

I am off to Nice next week and was thinking of a trip up the Train des Pignes which appears to be steam hauled on a Sunday. Has anyone done this trip? It looks like an all day affair, is there much to see or do at the destination (the other half isn't a train buff). Is it a good day out?

This is the Chemins de Fers de la Provence, yes?

If so, it's only steam hauled from Puget Theniers, to IIRC, St Andre les Alpes.

The loco is lovely and the scenery is also well worth it, BUT: the coaches used are basic, to say the least, no aircon, hard seats etc.

Personally, I'd go for it, but do a bit more research......

The journey from Nice Sud (CFP station) to Lingostiere is well worth it, beginning in the streets of Nice and winding up above the town, spectacular. At lingostiere is a shed and small works, look out for early diesels from the line as you leave the station, usually on your left. with a few on the right as you approach.

We went from Nice to Digne le Bains a few years ago when we were in Nice. It's a beautiful trip through some fantastic scenery. I think the steam trip takes in some of the more spectacular scenery. If you do the whole line, it's a fairly early start and a long trip though you just about get enough time for lunch at Digne.

I'm not sure if the Nice terminus is actually called Nice Sud, all the maps I've seen show that as the decaying remains of the original, the current CFP station is about 1 block east - we accessed it through the old goods yard which is now a parking lot for a supermarket. CFP's website was pretty informative, although I didn't find it till we got back. There are a few pics on my Flickr site.

All the best

Nick

Edit - my wife has just reminded me she loved it.

Archived