CSX Transflo, NY ...another small ho switching layout

Thanks Dennis.

As a former steam man myself, it was the sight and sound of US diesels, both prototype and models, that converted me years ago, so beware!

The asphalt road surface on the layouts are made from textured styrene. Wills 'cement rendering' sheets (SSMP214), each measuring 5ins x 3ins approx, are simply painted light grey and then darker grey weathering powders are brushed on to highlight the texture. This looks much better than simply using plain styren sheet.  Fine black pencil can also be used to simulate cracks.

The 'cement rendering' sheets are also useful for warehouse walls, particularly the stucco type found in South Florida. I used them on my previous layouts and always have a supply as they are so versatile.

Mal

Last night I tried out an operating session using the new track plan.

post-7898-0-12981000-1377252306_thumb.jpg

With one loco and a couple of loaded boxcars staged on the rear staging track. Loco shoves the 2 cars into the yard sorting tracks, uncouples and returns to the front staging track to collect 2 loaded grain cars. Loco pulls the grain cars into the front yard track, then reverses, shoving the cars into the feed warehouse for unloading.

Loco uncouples and returns to the yard to spot the boxcars and pick up 3 empties before returning to staging.

Simple and fun to operate.

Mal

Last night I tried out an operating session using the new track plan.

post-7898-0-12981000-1377252306_thumb.jpg

With one loco and a couple of loaded boxcars staged on the rear staging track. Loco shoves the 2 cars into the yard sorting/storage track, (3rd track from the front) uncouples and returns to the front staging track to collect 2 loaded grain cars. Loco pulls the grain cars into the front yard track, reverses, and shoves the cars into the feed warehouse for unloading.

Loco uncouples and returns to the yard to spot the boxcars and pick up 3 empties before returning to staging.

I've imagined that the staging is simply one end of a run around (off-stage). This arrangement provides a means of switching facing and trailing spurs without the need to model a full run around siding.

Simple and fun to operate.

Mal

Now that I'm happy with new track plan, I've proceeded to paint and ballast the track in the former staging area.

Also, I've now started to add fall foliage between the 2 warehouses in the main yard area.

post-7898-0-52877000-1377543317_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-21037800-1377543362_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-75591500-1377543396_thumb.jpg

Mal

I've continued to add more fall foliage using mainly WS fine leaf foliage 'fall mix'. However, sometimes the colors can be a little too bright.

To try something different, I thought I'd try making a a 'sea moss' tree with green foliage and I'm quite pleased with the result. Can anyone confirm whether US 'Super trees' are the same product?

post-7898-0-30068100-1377877063_thumb.jpg

and a couple more at the warehouse

post-7898-0-07292400-1377877139_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-25759000-1377877372_thumb.jpg

Mal

Thanks Robatron.

I've now completed painting and ballasting track in the former staging area and I'm much happier with the layout fully scenicked.

Static grass and, of course, more fall foliage has been added.

Here's a couple of pics showing a couple of empty grain hoppers being collected from the new grain unloading spur.

post-7898-0-86796800-1378289381_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-39690900-1378289549_thumb.jpg

Mal

Thanks guys.The bridge needs weathering to match the other side which was weathered when the layout was originally built.  Hadn't thought of tagging the bridge, nice idea.

The hoppers will be weathered, and maybe tagged also.

Mal

Good Evening Mr Alcanman!

What kind of track do you use and what colours do you use for weathering?

I use Peco code 100 track which is painted with Humbrol enamel no 98 (matt chocolate) mixed with a small amount of grey.

Mal

This week a box of Scenic Express 'Super Trees' arrived from Model Junction. As I suspected they appear to be made of sea moss.

I decided to simply make the trees using autumnal shades of green rather than more brighter shades of fall foliage to balance colors.

Firstly, a couple of trees were added to the newly scenicked area.

post-7898-0-91706900-1379086388_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-90772900-1379086417_thumb.jpg

Than I decided to remove the security fencing from the disused grey warehouse, to provide space for a few more trees.

I also toned down the bright green grass and weeds by adding some autumnal shades of static grass, going for a more overgrown look.

post-7898-0-25138000-1379086621_thumb.jpg

Mal

Mal...the colour of the trees looks more realistic to my eyes in these last couple of pics.....the colours were far too "loud" and bright in the pics in post #34 IMHO, especially the pic by the over bridge.

Some trees over here do not all change colour at the same time. I've always thought it attractive when you see patches of green still on an otherwise red and yellow tree. The Dogwoods in my backyard are already going red some 5 weeks before everything else.

Best, Pete.

Mal...the colour of the trees looks more realistic to my eyes in these last couple of pics.....the colours were far too "loud" and bright in the pics in post #34 IMHO, especially the pic by the over bridge.

I agree Gene. Seeing those pics made me realise that the colours were too bright, so I decided to add some green.

Also, for some reason the colours look brighter on the pics than they do on the layout.

I'll be continuing to work with blending the colours until I'm happy that they look more natural.

Mal

Mal...the first 2 pics in post #41 really look the ticket...but I just realized...you might want to hit the grass and weeds with a bit of browns/tans etc...usually by this time of year when the trees are going into fall colours the grass and weeds are starting to die back and loose their green tints.

Thanks Gene.

I've started to tone down the grass areas with fall shades of static grass.

Also the yellow and orange foliage which was too bright has been toned down with some Woodland Scenics 'earth blend' fine turf.

post-7898-0-32257300-1379243328_thumb.jpg

Mal

The grass can still be very green (and in fact, recovering from its summer browning) as the fall is cooler and quite often damp. Don't forget some scattered fallen leaves under the most-turned trees (see Gene's third picture).

Gene's first picture has a fair number of trees that have already lost their leaves which helps subdue the colours. It can also be variable from year to year as to how colourful the display is. It depends somewhat on how the weather over the summer was.

Adrian

Archived