Dear Alley cats,

I got your alleys right here... ;-)

http://www.carendt.com/scrapbook/page87/

(scroll down and check the pics immediately above and below the "Finishing Touches" title...

...particularly the covered hopper poking out between "Ronnie's Automotive" and "Conklin" at far right)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

You are a cruel, cruel, man! Such a gorgeous layout, and so far away!

A sudden idea this afternoon - would it be possible to model "The Alley" in several boxfles, possibly in a vertical position, either on their backs or on their ends, and joined together by magnets? Just a passing thought  :scratchhead:  

Still gently turning things over in my mind! 

A possibility -- but is there a way to treat one boxfile = one building along the lines of Sudduth Tire and somehow insert a flat intermediate segment between boxfiles to serve as the cross street?

I think the discussion of boxfiles on Carl's site said they're basically a UK phenomenon (like Marmite, I guess), so I don't have direct experience of what they're like. Would there be an advantage to mounting each, floor of box vertical, on a rectangle of plywood that would serve as a base -- and the rectangle big enough on one side to provide the cross street? Or would you be just as well off to start with a wood rectangle base and build the warehouse or whatever up on it without using the boxfile at all?

I follow your meaning, John, and I hadn't thought about the cross streets - actually the end walls of the boxes probably mean that the idea is a bust anyway, but it might be possible to mont the magnets into the box so that it stood vertically with the rectangle of ply being long enough to represent the street and a bit more - so that it fits under the end of the next box with another pair of magnets inserted in the extra bit = I'll think about a skribbley when I have a little more time 

Edit to add skribbley

post-6688-0-91486900-1377422408.jpg

Archived