Old signs and buildings that you might want to use or model.

In short, no.

All you could hope to do is scatter and slow down infantry and soft skin vehicles for a few moments, perhaps inflicting a few casualties until something is brought to bear that puts a H.E. round into that wall.

It would at best be a point to hit and withdraw in the hope that your own armour is advancing. But we didn't have much.

Any volunteers?

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

In short, no.

All you could hope to do is scatter and slow down infantry and soft skin vehicles for a few moments, perhaps inflicting a few casualties until something is brought to bear that puts a H.E. round into that wall.

It would at best be a point to hit and withdraw in the hope that your own armour is advancing. But we didn't have much.

Any volunteers?

Pretty much what I thought @MrWolf. No experience of that sort of thing myself, just have to imagine. Even pill boxes don't look like they were built to withstand much. I know we left a lot of stuff behind in France. Looking at it nowadays, it all looks make do and mend, but we only see what's left. Much removed post 1945.

I always thought the pill box built into the harbour viaduct at Folkestone would have been "interesting" to occupy. The only way out at high tide, as far as I can tell from what is visible today, would be to swim/ dive. Different times, which we are lucky not to be in . . . . . 

I believe there have been various exercises that concluded that Operation Sealion, the invasion of GB, may not have been successful. I'm not sure how that conclusion was reached though. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some brickwork that looks to have had a few problems over the years, the building stands alone on the corner in what is now someones garden, I have know idea what it's former use was only that it is very near to the old glass working area of Stourbridge and looks like it might vanish in the next few years.

509608151_stour2.JPG.fe54d54aa5de56a4df650bfe146a48bc.JPG

1977625266_stour4.JPG.835f79bbaeee7971cb653b99bc2a70fa.JPG

1810795395_stour5.JPG.817b8319b15bd0dd1bf56f96a6c0f504.JPG

stour3.jpg.e53b0b6b947da591300ae63292a716b6.jpg

327333657_stour1.JPG.c8ae2eb16ee79d30ea4d8a400952b0e5.JPG

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

Very quirky. Interesting slate arrangement at an angle across the roof. I thought initially they must be arranged in a diamond pattern, but zooming in it looks like rows at about 30 degees. Odd quirky.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not seen this topic before but it’s one that appeals hugely; I see buildings all too often that I want to model, the thing is that my plans for the next layout are very much prototype based (as close as I can get it) so they don’t fit in.

One thing I am considering though is which way the (future) layout would be viewed from; sense dictates looking west but looking east you get this tumbledown collection of old drops, ramshackle buildings and the overbearing Spencer Lime Kiln.

just do much character and industrial decay in what otherwise is quite a rural idyllic site. 
All of this is long gone, as the Streetview photo shows 

E78BF410-3F11-4C84-BEEE-9E3BF9697549.jpeg

03FBBDDD-39F2-465A-932C-DEF59E7F51C9.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Not a building but such a modellable scene. This is in Saltney, carrying the North Wales coast line over a narrow road to River Lane (which used to have its own branch to serve various industries).

The railway was widened to quadruple (now double again), the bridge widened at the same time, resulting in half brick, half stone construction. As well as the road, Balderton Brook is crossed, a charmless stream that’s barely more than a water filled ditch, full of litter and shopping trolleys. Sharing the passageway is a sewage pipe resplendent with security measures (who would want to climb on it anyway?).

It appeals to me far more than the twee; it could be a diorama on it’s own.

4904F323-38BB-44D8-85DE-4B438DA7C4D4.jpeg

13513A8D-ECC9-4092-973F-714D06353F50.jpeg

C51A3EC9-2EC1-44CE-8D31-BAF688E4679D.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Jason, some great images, and good bits of detail to refer to. All the best Adrian.

I tried to get better but as it was, I was holding my phone through some railings whilst also keeping my eye on two seven year olds who were being pains

• Friendly/supportive 4

That's a really interesting combination of road rail water and whatevers in that pipe...

Speaking of which, the security measures are because a normal ten year old lad (I hope that there are some left?) Would no doubt be tempted to traverse that pipe under the bridge and out the other side.

He'd also clamber up the wing wall of the bridge in photo 2, using the railings as hand holds, in order to get a better view of the railway, or simply because he could.

Or have things changed that much since 1981?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's a really interesting combination of road rail water and whatevers in that pipe...

Speaking of which, the security measures are because a normal ten year old lad (I hope that there are some left?) Would no doubt be tempted to traverse that pipe under the bridge and out the other side.

He'd also clamber up the wing wall of the bridge in photo 2, using the railings as hand holds, in order to get a better view of the railway, or simply because he could.

Or have things changed that much since 1981?

No; we used to clamber over the sewage pipes that bridged the ditch on the Marsh Lane near Sandside; we used to climb up communication towers and hang upside down off the top too (we were in our 20’s by then) !

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Now that's a fine bit of poets day roof slating, he started off nice and level, but I bet he didn't realise the roof was that far out of true till he got to the ridge. Now we have all got a good excuse for wonky  roofs on our models. all the best Adrian.

harrogate1.JPG.9a7005e560571df59221a98f54298e4d.JPG

harrogate2.JPG.535ce73a5f51f784b54ebf97d1958998.JPG

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There is an interesting sign on a tunnel mouth in Australia - doubtless one of many standard instructions. It is in the albums of a guy from Western Australia, who posts in the other, photo-sharing, website I belong to. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/grahamh/album/466685/@/page:2:9

One wonders how long the tunnel is and how early the workers get the four blast horn warnings, to give them time to evacuate in the opposite direction.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2023 at 06:10, Fishplate said:

Theory:

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,

Practice:

Anyone fancy stopping a Panzer from behind this wall? Facing the coast and the pinch point in the road where a railway bridge to the creek branch crossed above Whitstable Road, Faversham (where the trees now are above the rifle slits). This is on the entrance to the site of the former Faversham Cattle Market at approx OSGR TR02116118. Now modern housing. Search for Bob Amor Close on Google maps (pasting links doesn't want to play today).  

P2182980.JPG.08414c81dbd3f2e9362b5ffa337733a3.JPG

Facing the route into town. This runs parallel to, and north of, the A2/ Watling Street on the route from Dover to London. The rifle slits have been infilled on this side. A detail of history that has faded into the modern street scene, but can be incorporated into a model from 1938/ early 1939 up until to today. Once you've spotted one, you can see others around the country, but particularly in the south east.

P2182981.JPG.22c928e3ed744d1ef299f0c15d4ed03c.JPG

Bishopstone station has its own pillboxes built on top - there is another facing southwest across the bay toward Newhaven port.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/05/2023 at 09:13, Stubby47 said:

That is an interesting building – outwardly, apart from the statue, so typical of the nineteenth-century chapels of Protestant non-conformity, but in Catholic use.

The dedication to “St Joseph the Worker” gives a clue as the feast of St Joseph the Worker was not introduced until 1955. The building started out as a Baptish chapel and was adopted for Catholic use in the second half of the 1950s. It would make an interesting talking point on a layout.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2023 at 15:46, Curlew said:

A couple of adjacent buildings from Campbeltown, including the wonderful cinema.

DSCF2949.jpg

Although this is a more stylish design, it must be from a similar period to The Picture House that was right beside the S&DJR level crossing in Highbridge.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334152934038

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can't remember adding any Hastings shots to this thread - if I have shown these before I apologise. I was prompted by the calm serenity of the chapel cum Catholic church, to contrast it with the Tubman Pub. The others came along for the ride! I like the green tiling on the Pining 4U shop.

Fox Cottage Hastings 13 4 2012 posterised.jpg

Pining 4U Queens Road Hastings 13 4 2012.jpg

The Tubman Hastings 13 4 2012.jpg

Wilson factory Hastings 13 4 2012.jpg

• Like 7

The Campbeltown picture reminded me of Penarth pier pavilion, which also houses a cinema, which looks like a mixture of Art Deco and British India.

penarth-pier-pavilion-1024x768.jpg.e43f90a110e81b5e1136aeb829727b32.jpg

Photo: The Cardiffian.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the picture of a pork butcher's shop earlier, reminded me of the now gone Horse Meat butchers, which were still around in the 60s, 70s maybe into 80s but I haven't seen one for years.

• Like 3