The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Since when has the area been cold and dark in June?

Mike.

"And in a manger warm and bright" wouldn't have the same pathos. Nor would Mary and Joe making the journey on camels and staying the night in the inn's bridal suite. They were going for humble.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

On 01/12/2020 at 19:53, peanuts said:

Today i drilled a hole in the bottom of a metal dish 

made a start on my Advent collander 

post-2818-0-39155300-1417427970_thumb.jpg

Beat you to it. 

16438_1301401618200_3043221_n.jpg.8de30af54a0ff0ffcebab9a207cba5dc.jpg

In other news. Bollards to Christmas. 

Yes, both photos are my own. I'm a bit strange that way. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CameronL said:

And on top of this in walks some little s0d banging a drum.

I don’t care if he played his best for Him. I don’t think Mary would smile at him.

But thats what 3am on Christmas Day is for...

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, CameronL said:

"And in a manger warm and bright" wouldn't have the same pathos. Nor would Mary and Joe making the journey on camels and staying the night in the inn's bridal suite. They were going for humble.

Got to like "In the Bleak Midwinter." Admittedly I have seen pictures of snow in the Middle East but I rather suspect it's not typical weather for Bethlehem at any time of year!

(hmm, just looked it up and the average number of snowy days in December there is 1, at least according to Wikipedia).

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

OTOH, it can be pretty cold at night in these desert countries even in summer, and Bethlehem is high up and exposed; they'd have been grateful for the shelter of the stable if there was the least wind, especially northeasterly.  And we know it was at night because of the Star, though the Little Drummer Boy is not consistent with the silent night, holy night, all is calm, all is bright scenario.  To be fair to Doctor Luke, he does not mention a  drummer boy and in fact TTBOMK none of the accounts do.  Mary gave birth in the manger, there was an ox and an ass, sheperds showed up despite mighty dread having siezed their troubled minds, though an angel had appeared to them telling them to fear not, and then we 3 kings from orient are appeared, bearing gifts they travelled afar, moor and  mountain stream and fountain following yonder star, westward leading still proceeding.  The next item on the agenda is Herod and the slaughter of the innocents, while the holy family leg it to Egypt despite the earlier problems that the Children of Israel had had in that part of the world.  This has always seemed to me a bit unfair to the other Bethlehem parents, but I'd have done the same thing.

The number of sheperds is not stated, there might have been hundreds of 'em.  No drummer  boys though.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

sheperds showed up despite mighty dread having siezed their troubled minds,

Having completed doing their laundry.

59 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

and then we 3 kings from orient are appeared,

One in a taxi, one in a car, one on a scooter, blowing his hooter...

To be fair, it took the Kings a bit longer to turn up, after Joesph had decided to stay in town and set up a workshop, otherwise why would Herod target kids under two for extermination?

Edited by Hroth
Can't spell, its clod here you know...
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Having completed doing their laundry.

One in a taxi, one in a car, one on a scooter, blowing his hooter...

To be fair, it took the Kings a bit longer to turn up, after Joesph had decided to stay in town and set up a workshop, otherwise why would Herod target kids under two for extermination?

But there's no evidence that happened and that era is very well documented. Particularly by the Romans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herod_the_Great#New_Testament_references

Not to say he was a particularly nice bloke.

Back to jokes

.spacer.png

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

No drummer  boys though.

Apparently "The Little Drummer Boy" was first published in 1941. The message of the hymn is that no matter how poor you are, if you can do something well and do it with passion and sincerity for Christ, he will accept it as a gift. 

So, for The Second Coming, how about "The Little Railway Modeller?" ...

Mary smiled at me
Pa rum pum pum pum
I installed DCC
Pa rum pum pum pum

I made hills with Modroc
Pa rum pum pum pum
I weathered all his stock
Pa rum pum pum pum,
Rum pum pum pum,
Rum pum pum pum

Then we both played trains
Pa rum pum pum pum

'Til our bums went numb

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, Reorte said:

Got to like "In the Bleak Midwinter." Admittedly I have seen pictures of snow in the Middle East but I rather suspect it's not typical weather for Bethlehem at any time of year!

I love carols but I find the tune of this one depressing.  In the early 70s I worked in an open-plan office who would whistle it year-round.  I tried retaliating with "Summertime" but  it went over his head.

• Friendly/supportive 5

Good to see Bernard Manning jokes getting an airing....

Although it was originally his grandad being the last soldier at Dunkirk and volunteering to stay and fight to the death in exchange for a bottle of whiskey. Then a relief column find him asleep surround by dead Nazis and take him to the last ship.

Must have first heard a version of that in the 1970s. :laugh:

• Like 5