The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

I just had a text from my daughter, who is touring some European cities with a few of her friends, after finishing their a-levels.  She said they had just arrived in Naples and she wanted to go to see Pompeii historic ruins.  I advised her to go to a tourist shop and book a coach tour, as they would be able to get one which would suit them best, which is what she did, last time she was there.  She said she didn't remember anything at all about going there.  I just couldn't resist and told her that was because she didn't have a womb with a view.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Better to take the Circumvesuviana, surely?   It drops you more or less on the doorstep.

I wasn't aware of that, thank you very much, I will let her know.  👍

That said, there was advice, back then about avoiding the local trains, because of thieves.  Has the situation improved in recent times.  I know that the police were said to be taking steps to get a grip of the situation, back then.

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I wasn't aware of that, thank you very much, I will let her know.  👍

That said, there was advice, back then about avoiding the local trains, because of thieves.  Has the situation improved in recent times.  I know that the police were said to be taking steps to get a grip of the situation, back then.

They said the same thing when those ladders and pliers were stolen back in February 😉

Edited by AndrueC
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

53 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

there was advice, back then about avoiding the local trains, because of thieves.  Has the situation improved in recent times.

We were last there in 2015, but didn't have a problem.   My wife has travelled and lived in Italy quite a bit and so she's fairly savvy about that kind of thing.   Naples was very much the dodgiest area we visited (we stayed in Sorrento) and the walk down to the railway museum at Pietrarsa did feel a bit unsettling, until we realised that the high wall to our left all the way was a large military compound.

The walk was required because the line to Pietrarsa had been closed due to an unsafe building.   I'm assuming that by now they've either fixed it or its fallen down and been swept up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back then we also stayed in Sorrento, which was very pleasant to walk around back then. I seem to remember steep, cobbled, climbs up from the beach / port.  🙄 We did do a short Naples trip, although we had hired a car and stuck to the obvious "go see" places.  I think the group of young ladies, my daughter is with, seem to have their heads screwed on and will probably do much the same.  

Thank you for sharing your experiences, it's good to have something more recent to go on, it's much appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

Back then we also stayed in Sorrento, which was very pleasant to walk around back then. I seem to remember steep, cobbled, climbs up from the beach / port.  

My family and I were in Sorrento in 2017, staying in the Christiana Hotel, atop a steep climb, and had a marvellous time. We had been warned about pick-pockets on public transport and took reasonable precautions but never encountered a potential threat. You’d probably be more at risk in London (which may seem dubious nowadays). The only hazards we witnessed were maniacs charging around on motor scooters; we saw at least one accident every day!

• Informative/Useful 3