The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Huh!!  That's nothing!!  I have a 14 YR Old daughter...    :angel::angel:.....    :girldevil:.....

I assume she's inventive, and would work out a much better way of cutting that branch down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, CameronL said:

CAPTION COMPETITION TIME!

Welsh-Costume-025.jpg.b5890a583a1ab1bce3369d0d78ce3455.jpg

Suggestions - 

"Ebbw Vale's answer to Little Mix did not get a 'Big Fat Yes' from Simon Cowell"

Or -

"There was consternation over the Welsh Cakes when Blodwyn revealed that she'd been selected as a contestant on Love Island."

So I said to Wrighty, "Tony-bach, you might have your A3's on Little Blethyn, but you can't beat a 56xx on a full coal train trundling down a Welsh valley, now can you?"

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Well, ewe can, can't ewe, isn't it now; a 56xx banging away up the bank through Gilfach Fargoed with the empties.  Like little terriers with their noses to the ground straining at the leash, they are, there's lovely, look ewe....

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, CameronL said:

CAPTION COMPETITION TIME!

Welsh-Costume-025.jpg.b5890a583a1ab1bce3369d0d78ce3455.jpg

Suggestions - 

"Ebbw Vale's answer to Little Mix did not get a 'Big Fat Yes' from Simon Cowell"

Or -

"There was consternation over the Welsh Cakes when Blodwyn revealed that she'd been selected as a contestant on Love Island."

"Ok, who had beans for tea last night?" *

or perhaps

Megan admitted that she had sold beer to an English tourist last Sunday afternoon. **

or even

"Did you really think that the teapot would hold enough for FOUR cups of tea?" ***

I think I'll stop there...

No, just thought of another

"What do you mean, you didn't record last nights Pobl y Cwm?" ****

Translations from Google English to Welsh...

*        Lawn, pwy gafodd ffa i de neithiwr?

**      Cyfaddefodd Megan ei bod wedi gwerthu cwrw i dwristiaid o Loegr brynhawn Sul diwethaf.

***    Oeddech chi wir yn meddwl y byddai'r tebot yn dal digon ar gyfer PEDWAR cwpanaid o de?

****  Beth ydych chi'n ei olygu, na wnaethoch chi recordio neithiwr Pobl y Cwm?

(Sorry for rephrasing Two_sugars entry, I didn't spot it!)

Edited by Hroth
Additions and apologies...
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Why would a Welsh-speaking parent name their baby girl "Bronwyn"? The correct spelling of that name is "Bronwen", meaning bron ("breast") which is grammatically feminine, and gwen, the feminine form of gwyn ("white, fair, blessed)". Because the suffix -wyn is grammatically masculine in Welsh, Bronwyn is generally only used in the English-speaking world outside Wales.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Budgie said:

Why would a Welsh-speaking parent name their baby girl "Bronwyn"? The correct spelling of that name is "Bronwen", meaning bron ("breast") which is grammatically feminine, and gwen, the feminine form of gwyn ("white, fair, blessed)". Because the suffix -wyn is grammatically masculine in Welsh, Bronwyn is generally only used in the English-speaking world outside Wales.

Thats how I spelt it in the first place and the spill chucker said Bronwyn.

• Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Budgie said:

The correct spelling of that name is "Bronwen", meaning bron ("breast") which is grammatically feminine, and gwen, the feminine form of gwyn ("white, fair, blessed)".

So Bronwen means "big knockers", really? Cue schoolboy giggling.... :mosking:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Or as a garden birdwatcher might say

Great tits like coconuts.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

According to a Landore driver I spoke to in the traincrew messroom at Swansea High Street, The Mumbles was originally 'Y Bronydd', The Breasts, an obvious analogy when the small conical islands are viewed from Swansea across the bay.  When nice respectable middle class types built villas and settled in the area, picturesque and upwind of the copper smelting back in Victorian times, when they were so obsessed with sex that they covered the table legs lest they were aroused into paroxysms of unfettered passion  they attempted to anglicise the name and became embarrassed, mumbling it.  

This is very unlikely, but one of those things that ought to be true!

• Like 8
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Or as a garden birdwatcher might say

Great tits like coconuts.....

Only acceptable to say if followed by the phrase "and sparrows like peanuts "

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Wikipedia: "The headland is thought by some to have been named by French sailors, after the shape of the two anthropomorphic islands which comprise the headland: the word "Mumbles" may be a corruption of the French les mamelles, meaning "the breasts." Another possible source of the name is from the word Mamucium which is generally thought to represent a Latinisation of an original Brythonic name, either from mamm- ("breast," in reference to a "breast-like hill") or from mamma ("mother," in reference to a local river goddess)."

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Thats how I spelt it in the first place and the spill chucker said Bronwyn.

So chuck the spill chucker. Reminds me of a poem:

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect all the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Edited by Budgie
typo!
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Amazingly, the Scots got away with the Paps of Jura

image.png.a6e2d234c90032c12dc1b7265a0de8ed.png

Image source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paps_of_Jura

AND

The Pap of Glencoe

image.png.c9d1406a6b39845ad83c3f4c329c4fd6.png

Image source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pap_of_Glencoe

without having to Mumble about it.

On the other hand, the Paps of Scilla sound much more enticing...

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Paps_of_Scilla

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

According to a Landore driver I spoke to in the traincrew messroom at Swansea High Street, The Mumbles was originally 'Y Bronydd', The Breasts, an obvious analogy when the small conical islands are viewed from Swansea across the bay.  When nice respectable middle class types built villas and settled in the area, picturesque and upwind of the copper smelting back in Victorian times, when they were so obsessed with sex that they covered the table legs lest they were aroused into paroxysms of unfettered passion  they attempted to anglicise the name and became embarrassed, mumbling it.  

This is very unlikely, but one of those things that ought to be true!

But in the days before model railways and TV, what else did they have to think about all day, especially Sundays?

Ironically, it was the advent of Sunday outings by train, that started to undermine strict religion - think Thomas Cook.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Only acceptable to say if followed by the phrase "and sparrows like peanuts "

No, it should be followed by "and blue tits like peanuts"

Evidently something to do with winter feeding patterns.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Ironically, it was the advent of Sunday outings by train, that started to undermine strict religion - think Thomas Cook.

Who, ironically enough, was a strict Baptist whose first railway excursion was to a Temperance rally. It was, however, on a Monday.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

No wonder the 4 glum faces!

Proper Welsh, see, pleasure is sinful.  The national costume is an invention of the antiquarian and general nutcase Iolo Morgannwg, who reintroduced Eisteddfodau and the Order of the Bards, and christened has son Iesu Christ.  When the child died, he publicly cremated him on a hilltop in Llantrisant, (the hole with the Mint), illegally at the time.  We are a race that celebrates gloom and seriousness, which I think is a product of our climate, which is pretty miserable...

The costume is based on the usual attire of women in the 17th century, 150 years before Iolo's time, and the sort of thing worn over much of the southern half of Britain, especially by those of a puritan persuasion.  Puritanism came naturally to the Welsh, and spoiled the fun for a good 3 centuries, morphing into 'chapel' culture in the industrial revolution, which is where the male voice choirs came from.

1348272816_thidOIP.ow71odawnmh78BtSM-UakwHaEKw200h112rs1qlt80pid3.jpg.ea89d6166a49e88d0e58d52ccc1acc2e.jpg

The painting, 'Salem' is iconic in Wales, and was painted in the early 20th century,  by which time rural Welsh women were won't to wear Iolo's costume as Sunday Best for chapel  It became extremely popular as a result of being bought by William Hesketh Lever, of Sunlight Soap fame.  He issued vouchers with each bar of his soap sold in Wales and when you collected 6, you got a copy of the painting, which became almost obligatory on the walls of Welsh homes.  Allegedly, you can detect an image of Satan in the shawl.  The painting, by an English watercolourist popular at the time, Sidney Curnow Vosper (his middle name suggests a Cornish connection, and he seems to have been interested in Brythonic culture having painted Breton scenes as well), was done in Capel Salem, Pentre Gwynfryn in Gwynedd.  

It is iconic both of Welsh piety and of a pride in appearance and godliness which account's for Old Horny's presence, and is displayed in Welsh homes as a warning against such a sin.  This tells you a lot about Welsh culture and attitdudes, even now!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Wikipedia: "The headland is thought by some to have been named by French sailors, after the shape of the two anthropomorphic islands which comprise the headland: the word "Mumbles" may be a corruption of the French les mamelles, meaning "the breasts." Another possible source of the name is from the word Mamucium which is generally thought to represent a Latinisation of an original Brythonic name, either from mamm- ("breast," in reference to a "breast-like hill") or from mamma ("mother," in reference to a local river goddess)."

Sounds more feasible than my story, sadly...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3