The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

18 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Thought that was a Swindon joke, 7929, that's Forking Hall?

No, I just think we're compiling a list of names that didn't make Collett's shortlist for his 4900 (Hall) class locos. "Bog Hall", "Nothingatt Hall" and "Iwantit Hall" also didn't make the final cut.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, CameronL said:

No, I just think we're compiling a list of names that didn't make Collett's shortlist for his 4900 (Hall) class locos. "Bog Hall", "Nothingatt Hall" and "Iwantit Hall" also didn't make the final cut.

Are they anywhere near 7030 Bouncy Castle?

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, CameronL said:

"Down the Hall"?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I make it 8 Henrys, 8 Edwards (the last not crowned), 6 Georges, 4 Williams, 2 Charles and 2 James.  Even if you leave out Edward VIII who was not crowned when the last Kings were built and George VI for the same reason, there are still 30 Kings of England, one more than King class locos,  and the Dauphin of France was crowned in Westinster Abbey by the Archbishop of Canterbury with the support of the nobles and the people while John was on the run, which makes him legit in my book though once John kicked it he disappeared pretty quick. you might make it a contraversial 31.  Which King of England post 1066 has not had a loco named after him except the last two!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Which King of England post 1066 has not had a loco named after him except the last two!

Queen Elizabeth I.

I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too ...

Edited by Budgie
Add the quote from The Johnster's earlier post
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I make it 8 Henrys, 8 Edwards (the last not crowned), 6 Georges, 4 Williams, 2 Charles and 2 James.  Even if you leave out Edward VIII who was not crowned when the last Kings were built and George VI for the same reason, there are still 30 Kings of England, one more than King class locos,  and the Dauphin of France was crowned in Westinster Abbey by the Archbishop of Canterbury with the support of the nobles and the people while John was on the run, which makes him legit in my book though once John kicked it he disappeared pretty quick. you might make it a contraversial 31.  Which King of England post 1066 has not had a loco named after him except the last two!

Richard III.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

King Philip.

As in: their Majesties Philip and Mary, by the grace of God King and Queen of England, Spain, France, both the Sicilies, Jerusalem and Ireland, Defenders of the Faith, Archdukes of Austria, Dukes of Burgundy, Milan and Brabant, Counts of Habsburg, Flanders and Tyrol &c. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Richard III.

6015.  But one King carried two names, 6029, the last, orignally King Stephen and renamed King Edward VIII in 1936s, which accounts for the anomaly.  If you are going to include Philip, who I was under the impression was given the rank of Consort in England while the monarch was Mary, though Mary was a full rank Queen in Spain, then you should include the future Louis VIII of France who was installed legitimately as King of England for a short time in 1216.

The GW seems to have only included post Norman Conquest Kings, but there were Saxon KIngs of England, including Edgar, Edward the Confessor, and Harold Godwinstone that could have been brought into service had more locos been required.  And of course there were the Queens, 2 Marys, 2 Elizabeths, and a Victoria.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

If you are going to include Philip, who I was under the impression was given the rank of Consort in England while the monarch was Mary,

There was no such rank until invented for Prince Albert. By the Act of Parliament governing Mary's marriage, Philip was King; parliament was called and acts of parliament dated in both their names but Philip's Kingship was for Mary's lifetime only and he could not act in England without Mary's consent. William of Orange got a better deal largely because Mary II was a weaker character.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

As in: their Majesties Philip and Mary, by the grace of God King and Queen of England, Spain, France, both the Sicilies, Jerusalem and Ireland, Defenders of the Faith, Archdukes of Austria, Dukes of Burgundy, Milan and Brabant, Counts of Habsburg, Flanders and Tyrol &c. 

And in their spare time?

steve

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

On 11/09/2020 at 15:32, J. S. Bach said:

Maybe our next king could be the name for a double Fairlie.  On Fairlies each bogie has its own throttle so the engine can be in the situation where both ends are trying to go in opposite directions.

A lot of noise and hot air is therefore produced to no good effect .

Does this sound familiar?

Edited by CameronL
Don't know why the quote is there but I can't get rid of it I
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3