The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

• RMweb Premium

As part of its move to independance, the Scottish Govt plans to convert its railways to broad gauge.

Narrow gauge more likely, to save money with shorter sleepers!

Al

• RMweb Premium

False news! Scotch (sic) gauge is 4ft 6in. - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/4_ft_6_in_gauge_railway

At least they abolished their odd ball gauge, long before a certain other well known railway did so.

In fact, Brunel's gauge wasn't phased out of usage until 1913, not 21 years earlier as usually quoted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad_gauge

• Like 1

At least they abolished their odd ball gauge, long before a certain other well known railway did so.

In fact, Brunel's gauge wasn't phased out of usage until 1913, not 21 years earlier as usually quoted.

And if that "certain other well known railway" had abolished it much earlier, it would have robbed us of an opportunity to model a more interesting subject than just buying stuff in red or blue boxes, and plonking it on some Peco track ;).

• Like 2

During a visit to my doctor, I asked him, "How do you determine whether or not an older person should be put in an old age home?"

"Well," he said, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the person to empty the bathtub."

"Oh, I understand," I said. "A normal person would use the bucket because it is bigger than the spoon or the teacup.."

"No" he said. "A normal person would pull the plug. Do you want a bed near the window?"

• Like 1

An engineer dies and reports to the pearly gates.

St. Peter checks his dossier and says, "Ah, you're an engineer — you're in the wrong place."

So the engineer reports to the gates of hell and is let in.

Pretty soon, the engineer gets dissatisfied with the level of comfort in hell, and starts designing and building improvements.

After a while, they've got air conditioning, flush toilets and escalators, and the engineer is becoming a pretty popular guy.

One day God calls Satan up on the telephone and asks with a sneer, "So, how's it going down there in hell?"

Satan replies, "Hey, things are going great.

We've got air conditioning, flush toilets and escalators, and there's no telling what this engineer is going to come up with next."

God replies, "What??? You've got an engineer? That's a mistake — he should never have gotten down there; send him up here."

Satan says, "No way! I like having an engineer on the staff, and I'm keeping him."

God says, "Send him back up here or I'll sue."

Satan laughs uproariously and answers, "Yeah right. And just where are YOU going to get a lawyer?

• Like 1

A man sees a sign outside a house - 'Talking Dog For Sale.' He rings the bell, the owner appears and tells him the dog can be viewed in the back garden.

The man sees a very nice looking Labrador Retriever sitting there.

"Do you really talk?" he asks the dog.

"Yes," the Labrador replies.

After recovering from the shock of hearing the dog talk, he man asks, "So, tell me your story."

The Labrador looks up and says, "Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government, so I told the SAS.

"In no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one imagined that a dog would be eavesdropping.

"I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years.

But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at Heathrow to do some undercover security work, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded several medals. I got married, had a few puppies, and now I've just retired."

The man is amazed. He goes back into the house and asks the owner how much he wants for the dog.

"Ten quid," the owner says.

"£10!!? But this dog is absolutely amazing! Why on earth are you selling him so cheaply?"

"Because he's a lying bastard. He's never been out of the garden!!.

There may have even been a stretch of 7' 1/4" in use up to the turn of the Millennium. When I first moved to Reading in the late 90s, the Environment Agency had a large warehouse-type building just west of Reading Bridge. Behind it was a stretch of track with a travelling crane on it. One day, whilst browsing through some old magazines, I spotted a letter where the writer alleged that although the crane was marked "Gauge: 7 feet", he had measured the track and found the gauge was in fact 7' 0 1/4", and speculated whether this was the remains of some hitherto undocumented GWR siding. So when I next had opportunity, I headed up the Thames Path armed with a tape measure..... to find the crane and warehouse all gone, and a shiny new office block under construction :-(

A man sees a sign outside a house - 'Talking Dog For Sale.' .............

.............. he's a lying bastard. He's never been out of the garden!!.

Well, he was somewhere in the backwoods of Montana when Tom D posted the joke about a year ago!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There may have even been a stretch of 7' 1/4" in use up to the turn of the Millennium. When I first moved to Reading in the late 90s, the Environment Agency had a large warehouse-type building just west of Reading Bridge. Behind it was a stretch of track with a travelling crane on it. One day, whilst browsing through some old magazines, I spotted a letter where the writer alleged that although the crane was marked "Gauge: 7 feet", he had measured the track and found the gauge was in fact 7' 0 1/4", and speculated whether this was the remains of some hitherto undocumented GWR siding. So when I next had opportunity, I headed up the Thames Path armed with a tape measure..... to find the crane and warehouse all gone, and a shiny new office block under construction :-(

There is certainly a stretch of broad gauge track still in use at Didcot.

• Like 1

There is certainly a stretch of broad gauge track still in use at Didcot.

Not in use at the moment, as Firefly and Iron Duke are both out of ticket - and apparently some way down the overhaul queue.

Just a thought - if Iron Duke had been built to Scottish Gauge, would it have been "Irn Duk"?

Not in use at the moment, as Firefly and Iron Duke are both out of ticket - and apparently some way down the overhaul queue.

Just a thought - if Iron Duke had been built to Scottish Gauge, would it have been "Irn Duk"?

or Irn Bru!

• RMweb Premium

Sunset of the Empire.

In the great days of the British Empire, a new commanding officer was sent to a South African

bush outpost to relieve the retiring colonel.

After welcoming his replacement and showing the usual courtesies (gin and tonic, cucumber sandwiches, etc.)

which protocol decrees, the retiring colonel said,

"You must meet my Adjutant, Captain Smithers, he's my right-hand man and is really the strength of this office.

His talent is simply boundless."

Smithers was summoned and introduced to the new CO, who was surprised to meet a hunchback,

one eyed, toothless, hairless, scabbed and pockmarked specimen of humanity, a particularly unattractive

man less than three feet tall.

"Smithers, old man, tell your new CO about yourself."

''Well, sir, I graduated with honours from Sandhurst, joined the regiment and won the Military Cross and Bar

after three expeditions behind enemy lines. 

I've represented Great Britain in equestrian events and won a Silver Medal in the middleweight division

of the Olympics.  I have researched the history of . . ."

At that point, the colonel interrupted,

"Yes, yes, never mind all that Smithers, he can find all that in your file.

Tell him about the day you told the witch doctor to *uck off."

No,definitely Irn Bru.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Did you know that unsettled weather disturbs the breeding patterns of owls?

Apparently because under such conditions....... it is.......... ' too wet to woo' !

Regards

Bob