Show us your scratchbuilt building

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if I've posted this one before on this thread but here's my low relief workshop building for Diesels in the Duchy.

post-6675-0-74355100-1420586508.jpg

post-6675-0-15933900-1420586532.jpg

post-6675-0-02352400-1420586550.jpg

post-6675-0-77191600-1420586582.jpg

post-6675-0-52233900-1420586609.jpg

post-6675-0-93203000-1420586637.jpg

post-6675-0-39640500-1420586664.jpg

post-6675-0-22888300-1420586686.jpg

post-6675-0-37252200-1420586705.jpg

post-6675-0-41165000-1420586735.jpg

Scratchbuilt in plastic except for the Windows which were custom made by York Model Making. Brick is various bonds of SEF and roofing is Wills.

The colouring and weathering was finished off after these shots when the building was planted on the layout.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Lovely to see the workshop from your 'Diesels in the Duchy' thread here. I followed you building of it at various stages, especially the door built up from individual strips to get the feel of individual timbers, and their ware through the years.

Beautiful modelling.

Jamie

James makin's petrol station just had me in awe, but what clinched it for me is the deflated football on the roof, priceless.

You don't need to see constant trains running when you have contemporary detail like that to gorp at.

That is THE dogs.

Paul R.

• RMweb Premium

Are the numbers easily changeable?  In the current price climate they'll need to be!

Haha, before I built it, at the club we had a discussion about having a real electronic display, the numbers could actually change during the course of an exhibition!! Could've had it constantly spinning even!

I'd studied fuel prices for the decade 2000-2010 and ended up opting for the prices in Dec 2007, just above the 100p p/litre mark, give us a bit of flexibility with a price that wasn't too high or too low!

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if I've posted this one before on this thread but here's my low relief workshop building for Diesels in the Duchy.

Lovely piece of work Mr Spams,but it doesnt look very "low relief" to me!

Or does that simply mean is doesnt have a rear wall, or it should go back a lot further?

I thought I'd share a few pictures of my latest project, a modern scratchbuilt petrol station -

This features on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road layout, inspired by the West London line at Kensington Olympia.

The shop features full internal details, including lots of chocolate bars -

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaLRPS03.jpg

The shop, roof and tower sign are all fully illuminated and I hope to have some more pics at night-time once installed on the layout - some more details about Worthing MRC's Loftus Road can be found on our layout thread here -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69628-loftus-road-by-worthing-mrc/page-5

That is absolutely hideous - the architecture, NOT the modelling! Which is the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas and the dog's b o l l o c k s (doggy dangly bits, mutt's nuts etc.) all rolled into one. Top notch scratch building

Can you give away your secret of such crisp printing of logos etc.?

iD

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Gold

Lovely piece of work Mr Spams,but it doesnt look very "low relief" to me!

Or does that simply mean is doesnt have a rear wall, or it should go back a lot further?

The back right corner has been lopped off ( not built) which I guess qualifies it for low relief.

Just hope it's glued down so it doesn't get forgotten. ..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The back right corner has been lopped off ( not built) which I guess qualifies it for low relief.

Just hope it's glued down so it doesn't get forgotten. ..

As you say Stu, low relief as the rear is not modelled and there's a corner missing. And indeed Mr Ross has now fixed them permanently using his usual subtle 9" nails!

• RMweb Premium

Those are great, and if these are after a little encouragement on the forum I think you are doing brilliantly. I will look forward to seeing them on your layout.

How did you do the lettering? Is it printed or is it molded letters stuck on, it looks really good.

Brilliant work.

Jamie

Those are great, and if these are after a little encouragement on the forum I think you are doing brilliantly. I will look forward to seeing them on your layout.

How did you do the lettering? Is it printed or is it molded letters stuck on, it looks really good.

Brilliant work.

Jamie

Very many thanks for all the encouragement - yours, Jamie, and everyone else's - I feel spurred on to do that Tite-style station building I mentioned some time ago.

The lettering on the running-in sign (from Dart Castings or their predecessors - I have had a couple for ages) is simply from a Slaters 3 mm sprue, glued onto the bare whitemetal with mek, then painted all over to secure the letters finally.  A very light sanding with 600 grit paper  revealed the white letters over the green, making them look less deep than so often seen on models. The font is probably wrong for the LSWR but life is too short…..

For the ground frame, it is printed on satin photo paper from Word - white letters on a green background. The font should have been Gill Sans, but in fact I made a mistake and it is Arial. The size is 8pt.  According to my references the SR used a modified Gill Sans - some letters are different (for example, in the Word version of GS, the capital 'J' drops below the line, whereas for SR notices it should remain on the line, and I believe the 'O' should be a different shape… and so it goes on!). I cut out the 'enamel' sign to the size I wanted, mek-paked it to 20 thou plastikard and then built a microstrip frame around it. Kept it under a fairly heavy weight for 2 days to stop it warping as the glue/plastic set. Finally it was superglued to the hut.

The central pillar on the shelter will have an SR target sign… one day!

Incidentally, I have found that doing carriage destination boards, enamelled signs  and so on is really quite easy using Word and photo paper (matt or satin - I find gloss too… glossy in 4mm scale) - and I only have a domestic-grade inkjet printer.

Mike

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by olivegreen
  • Like 1

Almost finished the main station building for the Pennine Area Group's 2mm model of Lightcliffe - just got the chimney pots to sort and the station signs to add and I think we're there. The plastic blanks that I'd made for the station signs broke off, so I've had to recut solts in the walls which is why there are white patches above the waiting room doors - these will be attended to once the signs are in place.

IMG_1178_1024_zps21b7873e.jpg

IMG_1179_1024_zps05604c8a.jpg

IMG_1181_1024_zps184b517a.jpg

IMG_1182_1024_zps2c068a5a.jpg

IMG_1183_1024_zps7a77ad87.jpg

IMG_1184_1024_zps7d654697.jpg

that is really nice do you have a thread or a blog or something where you discuss its build or the layout it goes on?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very many thanks for all the encouragement - yours, Jamie, and everyone else's - I feel spurred on to do that Tite-style station building I mentioned some time ago.

The lettering on the running-in sign (from Dart Castings or their predecessors - I have had a couple for ages) is simply from a Slaters 3 mm sprue, glued onto the bare whitemetal with mek, then painted all over to secure the letters finally.  A very light sanding with 600 grit paper  revealed the white letters over the green, making them look less deep than so often seen on models. The font is probably wrong for the LSWR but life is too short…..

For the ground frame, it is printed on satin photo paper from Word - white letters on a green background. The font should have been Gill Sans, but in fact I made a mistake and it is Arial. The size is 8pt.  According to my references the SR used a modified Gill Sans - some letters are different (for example, in the Word version of GS, the capital 'J' drops below the line, whereas for SR notices it should remain on the line, and I believe the 'O' should be a different shape… and so it goes on!). I cut out the 'enamel' sign to the size I wanted, mek-paked it to 20 thou plastikard and then built a microstrip frame around it. Kept it under a fairly heavy weight for 2 days to stop it warping as the glue/plastic set. Finally it was superglued to the hut.

The central pillar on the shelter will have an SR target sign… one day!

Incidentally, I have found that doing carriage destination boards, enamelled signs  and so on is really quite easy using Word and photo paper (matt or satin - I find gloss too… glossy in 4mm scale) - and I only have a domestic-grade inkjet printer.

Mike

(Edited for spelling)

Thanks for that, sanding down the Slaters letters is a really nice idea to sit them back. I will give that a try when  am doing some boards soon.

I read a while ago that visitors think we have a fetish for Gill Sans in this country with all the rail and road signs being in variations of it. I must look up exactly what font BR and other rail companies used, very probably custom versions with the dots rotated, or letters like the 'J' being extended.

tIf you need a cheap Gill Sans there is often a variant on it called Humanist (777?) on many computers font libraries.

Jamie

Thanks Jaz.

If you have a look at http://pennine2mm.blogspot.co.uk/there's more on there.

Regards,

David V.

2mm!!!!!! I thought that building was good when I thought it was 4mm!!!!!!!! Lovely detailing for something half the size I work on.I have occasionally thought of doing a bit of O gauge to get something larger to allow more detailing. Their oxford cars etc have so much better detailing than 00.

An now super impressed by yours for being N gauge.

Hi everyone,

post-18935-0-92223000-1421754936_thumb.jpg

This is my latest modelling project : Cottages fronts in OO Scale. Foamex basic structure, covered with Zebulon embossed paper stones, Goover Model tiles roof, doors and windows handmade with Evergreen strip styrene and 1/2 mm thick plasticard. the gutters are from Auhagen, and the chimney top from Wills. Next step : painting & weathering + adding an interior complete with lights for some of the windows.

This building will be ultimately part of a diorama to display weathered GWR models for the 1939-1945 era.

Eric.

• Like 14

Thanks, Andy.

I bought it via Internet. It's made by the French factory "Zébulon".

They produce two type of stone patterns (pack of 5 A5 embossed Canson paper sheets) and also some plaster brick molded plastic plates (about 1/4 A4).

Just check the "Zebulon" embossed paper range there : http://www.zebulon-vpc.com/produits-pour-le-decor_11_papier-estampes_.html(sorry, only in french). There you can also directly purchase the sets that are for HO scale (1/87) but are still good for OO scale.

Eric.