Derwent - LMS in the Peak (never finished due to house move)

Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

The branch return junction was laid over the weekend. It had become detached from its foam base so was just glued to the foam I had already laid. The approach tracks were laid and ballasted.

post-16241-0-39980600-1416331841_thumb.jpg

And from the other end.

post-16241-0-70885100-1416331899_thumb.jpg

The turnouts were connected to two actuators.

post-16241-0-08575300-1416331965_thumb.jpg

And will be hidden by a signal box which would have been there for the junction.

post-16241-0-54922600-1416332030_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-58419700-1416332052_thumb.jpg

The box is just sitting on the rodding for the moment, but it gives me an idea of what it will look like after landscaping. Now to join up the lines at the other end.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The Up mainline was the first to be connected and so completed the circuit. My Jub express was the first to do the honours. Takes just under 2 minutes to complete a full circuit, at full speed. I built in super-elevation, but it's not noticeable in the photos, but trains do lean into the curve.

post-16241-0-02147300-1416332442_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-82773700-1416332461_thumb.jpg

Followed by a local trip goods.

post-16241-0-35622400-1416332517_thumb.jpg

That was the morning work, so this afternoon I joined the down line. Express and local goods pass. The bare track-bed to the right of the mainline is where the junction lines will go. These will be on the level, while the mainline descends at 1 in 100.

post-16241-0-18428900-1416332576_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-55690400-1416332623_thumb.jpg

The goods passes the box.

post-16241-0-54948000-1416332679_thumb.jpg

I made a mess of the last part of the down line, which you can see in the second passing trains photo. I tried joining the last piece of track while the previous panel was still drying and it moved! So some remedial work will need to be done to tidy-up the ballast once it has dried. Unlike PVA, vinyl does not set hard and can be pealed off.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking terrific. I can't say I noticed the sleeper web showing, but then I spray my track sleeper grime before laying it in dark brown ballast. 

Thanks, Larry. A "terrific" from you is a very high accolade. I use diluted vinyl carpet adhesive and not PVA. For plain track I use your method of brushing the formation with glue, laying the track on top. With a decent covering of glue, it rises up the sleeper and web. Then I cover the whole lot liberally with ballast (Carrs). Being Derbyshire, mine is limestone just after a shower of rain. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great to see trains running Jonathan, it must feel like a real achievement!

Lovely trackwork, and the promise of some great views when the scenics start.

I hope you're going to improve the lighting a bit though...

Great stuff,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Great to see trains running Jonathan, it must feel like a real achievement!

Lovely trackwork, and the promise of some great views when the scenics start.

I hope you're going to improve the lighting a bit though...

Great stuff,

Al.

Hi Al, I had the flash on "soft". My camera is a bit limited though.

• RMweb Gold

Here is where the ballast has clumped due to the panel moving when I connected the adjacent track. You can also see that the sleepers have lifted too in places. Although in the photo is does not look as bad as in real life.

post-16241-0-38039000-1416851472_thumb.jpg

And after remedial treatment. The in-between sleepers' area needs topping up on both lines as you can see the webbing, which you can see has been done in three places to the right of the label. The track here is super-elevated which is why the webbing shows on the far set of rails.

post-16241-0-52285200-1416851595_thumb.jpg

Not much done since this was completed late last week due to a bad bout of man flu.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Since recovering from a bad cold, I have been fettling the track on the mainline to ensure good running. My Hornby black 5 bogie kept derailing where other locos didn't. I have always been dis-satisfied with its running, waddling front end as well as bogie problems. The waddle is due to too much slop on the leading axle. Engineers would have removed the valve gear drawn off the wheels and put in packing washers. I didn't just fancy this. So I just glued a couple of 0.75 mm black plasticard shims to the chassis behind the wheels. That cured the waddle and it will still go round 36" curves. In order to put some weight on the bogie, I super-glued a bent strip of brass, from the waste of a kit, to the top of the bogie swing arm. With a bit of trial and error, I got the right bend so that there was just a little of the loco's weight on the makeshift spring, but still with plenty of weight on the leading wheels for adhesion. So now the black 5 keeps to the track and will haul 6 bogies, including two of Larry Goddard's brass creations, up my 1 in 100 gradients.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have not been shirking over the last few days, but wiring-up the IRDOT 1 detectors in the storage yards. Some came from old layout and seem to have suffered. The blind holes in the photo shows where non-working ones were. Some work fine on the test bench but when fitted to the layout, will not detect, so there have been  some frustrating times underneath the baseboards. I've got some more on order from Heathcotes, so that looks like my Christmas job.

post-16241-0-50668800-1418812063_thumb.jpg

The post-it labels are a temporary measure, so I know what locos are with what trains. I have also been buying sound decoders from Youchoos, Howes and Olivia's and fitting them to my stock.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 4

Evening Jonathan, Glad I wasn't the only one with a Cold last week mate, a good dose of Whisky each night in a Milky Coffee, or Honey in a Lemsip seems to have shifted it.

The track is looking really nice mate and the panel will be good once completed as well.

Nice work, well done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, I am of the belief that the only thing you put in a whisky is another one! Cannot abide warm alcohol and people think they are giving you such a treat at this time of year by offering mulled wine , yuk!

• Like 2

The Up mainline was the first to be connected and so completed the circuit. My Jub express was the first to do the honours.

Hi there,

For some reason I missed this posting from last month so a belated 'congrats' on getting your complete circuit up and running after all your hard work. And a splendid train to perform the opening lap of honour to boot. :good:  A great moment, I'm sure.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the greeting guys. Just about to start my busy period and not with the layout either but with four church services before I sit down to my turkey somewhere around 4 pm tomorrow. A merry and blessed Christmas to you all and a happy modelling New Year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the greeting guys. Just about to start my busy period and not with the layout either but with four church services before I sit down to my turkey somewhere around 4 pm tomorrow. A merry and blessed Christmas to you all and a happy modelling New Year.

Jonathan,

I thought it might be busy for you, but not that busy.  All the best, it will be all the better when you get to it.

Not like Dibley then where you'd have one service and four Xmas dinners to sit down to... :jester:

Look forward to seeing more developments in 2015.

• RMweb Gold

I have not been in the loft layout room over Christmas so far. Giving wiring-up IR detectors a rest. I have not been idle though and have been tuning my hand to Scalescenes gable-end engine shed, since it is very Midland.

post-16241-0-95746200-1419710313_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-72703400-1419710334_thumb.jpg

I have taken the suggestion of a fellow RM webber and will have a small shed rather than the four-road one of a while back. This is three units long from the kit and will take six small locos or four larger types. The kit comes with a metal roof which doesn't look right to me so I am going to put slates on mine and some ancillary buildings along the blank wall. The walls are not stuck together yet!

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have begun slating the roof and I think it's an improvement on the metal sheets.

post-16241-0-00287400-1419868207_thumb.jpg

And I think the roof lights look better flush with the slates rather than stuck underneath the roof.

• Like 3