Β 

Interesting post found on Imgur

Anybody seen this before?

Β 

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ku5aA

Yup, as JWB stated above it is Northlandz in NJ, I went in the late 90's with my brother in law and his kids. I was undertaking a project audit for PATH and was based in Manhattan for a few weeks and he was living in Wayne NJ at the time. If memory serves me it is located in a building which also houses a huge Pipe Organ. The scale of the thing is impressive, and it was great for the kids, but I would class it more as a toy train show than an example of a model railway. All the rolling stock was either Mantua, IHC or Tyco IIRC. There are things I remember more clearly about that day, it was hot, I saw my first traffic island in the US, and later on when I was dropped off at the ferry terminal in Wehawken I saw a trio of brand new UP GE Dash-9s emerge from the tunnel next to the car park, that was the moment I became interested in US HO :-).

Β 

TTFN

Β 

Chris Β 

I went once when it first opened. How to make model raiiways boring.... The running lines are purely loops that go nowhere.

Carry on down 202 to Three Bridges, Ringoes and then to New Hope - much more interesting....

Β 

Best, Pete.

I dunno whether it's just me, but I really fancy visiting after reading that!

Β 

If you accept it for what it is then yes I would agree with the review, however with the gift of hindsight if I was in that locale Northlandz would definitely be at the bottom of my things to do, just my personal opinion......Β 

I guess I like the idea that someone has gone all out to create their dream, even if that dream is a little naff.

Β 

If I'm ever in the NJ area, I think I'll drop in.

Hi Martin,

Β 

You do have a point there, I think it took a lot of guts and determination to get the place operational, I just found it very surreal and to be honest a little weird - pipe organ music blurring out, trains depicted in a lunar type landscape. It's just me. Whenever I go to the US I do time to get used to the difference and feel of the place viz. a viz. Europe and the UK, I find everything is much bigger and bolder and louder compared to the UK and Europe. Nothing wrong with that, in most cases I love it which together with the people is what attracts me to the USA and Canada. In this case though it just seemed too much.... the place is definitely not a US version of Pendon, nor is it Miniature Wonderland in Hamburg, both of which I enjoyed tremendously and reflect my tastes more. However, if you do go I hope you enjoy it.

Β 

Cheers

Β 

Chris

Archived