Missoula - my winter project.

Thats a good question Pete.  I do have the second 6 foot board to start, just making good use of the sunshine we are all enjoying at the moment - the paint dries within 5 minutes  :paint: Although it has actually been too hot to put the turntable area in the sun.

No promises Nick, but the turntable area should be finished, with another 'work in progress' on the 6 foot board.

Jez.

Whilst the hot weather has caused some damage to the rails on Exchange Avenue, Missoula enjoys fast drying times on paint and ballasting:

post-7044-0-33290800-1374251092_thumb.jpg

post-7044-0-37303400-1374251152_thumb.jpg

Not the best of pics, as it looks a lot better in the flesh and certainly not the easiest ballast application I have had to do.

Enjoy,

Jez

• 2 months later...

Its been very quiet for me on the modelling front for the last few weeks - lots of armchair modelling but no progress on the layout.  

Chris Gilbert spurned me into action when he asked me to carry out the Kato re-motoring project on his 2 Athearn CF7s.  I had lost interest in Exchange Avenue and started component recovery, so didn't have a layout to test the CF7s on.  So phase 2 of Missoula was started - I'll let the pictures do the talking instead of waffling on:

post-7044-0-89367500-1381087506_thumb.jpg

Chris' CF7s take up a couple of the turntable spur roads.

post-7044-0-54878300-1381087594_thumb.jpg

Phase 2 includes the loco servicing shed (Based on the Iowa Interstate structure near South Amana), Refuelling road (to the left of the servicing Shed), loco wash area (siding on the left) and a disused siding (Front right).

post-7044-0-14699100-1381088018_thumb.jpg

View from the turntable area.

post-7044-0-38610800-1381088115_thumb.jpg

Another overall view - this 5ft section detaches from the turntable base-board.

Next up comes the wiring and electrics for this section of the layout.  Should be nice and simple with only 5 turnouts to add point motors to - anyone tried the Cobalt ones?

Enjoy,

Jez

Jez, I tried a couple of Cobalts side by side with Tortoise when building Essex. As Simon indicated they are noisier and no better. In the end I flogged them off and stuck with Tortoise. With 4" module frames there is no problem mounting them. I've also used their remote actuators in tight spots next to support brackets, simples. The Tortoise are around £2.50 cheaper on average.

As I found too the Cobalts draw more current when stalled. 20ma as opposed to < 15ma for the Tortoise. Doesn't sound like much but with 8 of them per DAC-20 decoder and 40 in total, that would have added up to 200ma of additional current draw.

So my vote goes to the Tortoise. Quieter, cheaper, and less current draw. I will say the Cobalt is easier to wire in though. In the end I just soldered all the Tortoise connections to a ribbon cable and an RJ45 plug. That way I can hot swap out any failures. Bit of a waste though since I've got some that are 12 years old and still going strong on their 5th layout.

Thanks Simon & Andrew - Tortoise are a little too large unfortunately, just had a try with a couple that I have and they protrude past the bottom of the layout frame (2 x 1 timber) by just over an inch - I will continue to experiment though.

Cheers Jordan, hope to see you there next year - it will soon come round.

Jez

Jez, that is the problem with tortoise they are quite tall, on my shunting plank i used 4 x 1 timber in order to overcome their height.

I'm going to use 9g servos driven by a Tam Valley Octopus, this works out a reasonable cost compared to Tortoise or Colbalt.

Jez, that is the problem with tortoise they are quite tall, on my shunting plank i used 4 x 1 timber in order to overcome their height.

I'm going to use 9g servos driven by a Tam Valley Octopus, this works out a reasonable cost compared to Tortoise or Colbalt.

Hi Squesky,

What brand servos do you use?

Thanks,

Damin.

Cheers Jordan, hope to see you there next year - it will soon come round.

Jez

Won't it just..??!!?? :declare:  :locomotive: 

I've got 'Schiller Point' at a local Show next Saturday, then it's "all stops out" to build my promised new O Scale Jolly for next June...  :O Less than 250 days to go, apparently.... :scratchhead:

• 6 months later...

Well, we are now well into Spring, almost Summer and this particular layout seems to have shrunk and taken a few steps backwards!!

post-7044-0-30870800-1399391087_thumb.jpg

Jez

Archived