The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I thought the first year (or rather 6 months) issue was 52?

I think it went Y plate to 51 plate, there used to be a 51 plate maestro round here but not seen it for a while 

• Agree 2

As an aside, these changing VED rules really did make a monthly difference....Early Ford Pumas were indeed cheaper to tax than the later Pumas, due to the change to emissions measurements.

I recently discovered the biggest recent change occurred in 2017....when identical models of various makes suddenly found their VED hiked considerably.

{ Last year I looked at various Dacia models, with a view to find which was the cheapest to run, within a limited price range.  Models that were zero rated, or near zero annual rates , suddenly jumped up considerably after 2017 for the same model...The tax system had changed....So I concluded that, it was best to opt for a 2016 model rather than go for one year later.  At that price, depreciation wasn't really an issue. Opted for a Suzuki Celerio instead, zero tax, reckoned to obtain close to 85 mpgs with care, suited my Ex#3 admirably.  Left me having to eke out more years usage from my old Suzuki GV 4wd...Thank heavens for separate chassis!  }

• Like 3

On 18/08/2024 at 20:07, Moxy said:

Twice yearly changes came into play slightly earlier, in Aug 1998 with S plate, which was the final Aug 1 change and was replaced by T on Mar 1st 1999,  followed by V, the first Sept change.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Shows how darned vain we are, as a nation, does it not?  :(

No. It promotes sales and thus economic growth, which are generally seen as Good Things. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, alastairq said:

As an aside, these changing VED rules really did make a monthly difference....Early Ford Pumas were indeed cheaper to tax than the later Pumas, due to the change to emissions measurements.

It is about time that they just standardised the tax again. We have had numerous changes over the last 20 odd years which is way too confusing and messy. Just put all non historic cars onto the current single VED charge

All the best

Katy

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

the current single VED charge

I think I may have misunderstood that, Katy, but the current system has 13 different rates and is the most complicated of all of them!

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I think I may have misunderstood that, Katy, but the current system has 13 different rates and is the most complicated of all of them!

Only for the first year (or first 5 years for cars costing over £40k which have a £410 extra for the first 5 years). After that it is £190 a year for petrol or diesel engined cars.

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

Don't see many dropping the drivetrain out by the roadside these days, do we?

Can't have that sort of behaviour, it lowers house values all around, for starters!

It is also illegal and has been so for more than a century. The one exception is in case of an emergency, even then you have to remove the vehicle from the highway ASAP.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It is also illegal and has been so for more than a century. The one exception is in case of an emergency, even then you have to remove the vehicle from the highway ASAP.

It is indeed - I got "done" for it many decades ago.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I believe that's only the case if it's being done in the course of a business. Working on your own car is fine, providing you take care not to infringe anything else (e.g. spilling oil, making a nuisance, causing an obstruction etc)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 20/08/2024 at 09:24, Oldddudders said:

No. It promotes sales and thus economic growth, which are generally seen as Good Things. 

Promoting consumption for the sake of consumption isn't a good thing. Promoting economic growth back when most people were peasants working to the bone for half a mouldy turnip was a good thing, it got us away from that. Now that we are past that, and now that it's been twisted in to something pursued for its own sake, rather than as a means to an end, it causes more harm than good. And that we seem to have got ourselves in to a system that can't seem to stay still (if that) without it it's completely broken.

Don't ask me what the alternative is, I've no idea, but we've got a problem that needs solving rather than promoting.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 20/08/2024 at 17:04, Nick C said:

I believe that's only the case if it's being done in the course of a business. Working on your own car is fine, providing you take care not to infringe anything else (e.g. spilling oil, making a nuisance, causing an obstruction etc)

No, you are wrong - years agi I was reported, summonsed & fined for that very offense.

Edited by GrumpyPenguin
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

No, you are wrong - years agi I was reported, summonsed & fined for that very offense.

Hmmm - It seems to be difficult to find historical laws on the government website, but it's certainly not illegal now (and it's unusual for these things to become more lenient...)

Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005:

(3)A person is not to be convicted of an offence under this section in relation to any works if he proves to the satisfaction of the court that the works were not carried out—

(a)in the course of, or for the purposes of, a business of carrying out restricted works; or

(b)for gain or reward.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Nick C said:

(b)for gain or reward.

I've often done serious automotive jobs outside my home over the past 55 years of being a driveller.

Whether they could be regarded as for ''gain'' is debatable.

After all, I did/do those jobs because I'm a titewad, and cannot/could not afford to pay someone else to do the dirty work for me.

Also I avoid the annoying  position of having paid out hundreds of quids for someone else to do an automotive job for me, only to find that it turns out to be a half-harrised coh-up after all.

But then, I have endured more disappointment having shelled out to purchase Michelin or Goodyear tyres, only to find them to be not what the financial layout would have me believe, and that I'd have been better off with 30 quid Chinese ditchfinders instead!

Me? Cynical? Never!!

But I have discovered, automotively speaking , that it is often a better bet to buy the cheapest, and have low expectations, than to shell out hundreds more quids, only to find the outcomes to be not a lot higher than my lowest expectations.

That's why I like the old motors best..I get a perverse satisfaction out of getting more life out of what others would have ''thrown away!''

A Youtuber I quite like is the following fella....his attitude and humour appeals to me....Somewhat lacking in bullsh&te...

https://www.youtube.com/@LowBuckGarage

• Like 6
  • Agree 1