The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

'London' to signify that they started at Brooklands, as many of the vehicles would not have been ULEZ-compliant.

1924 Morris Bullnose Travellers Van HCVS Brighton 12 5 2024 x.jpg

The correct term is 'Travellers Brougham' not van.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The correct term is 'Travellers Brougham' not van.

I was relying on the HCVS programme information.

Perhaps we had better ask the driver. The note says "Entered by Roger Bishop". He is probably more interested in how it runs.

1924 Morris Bullnose Travellers Van HCVS Brighton 12 5 2024 b.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I was relying on the HCVS programme information.

Perhaps we had better ask the driver. The note says "Entered by Roger Bishop". He is probably more interested in how it runs.

1924 Morris Bullnose Travellers Van HCVS Brighton 12 5 2024 b.jpg

Looks like the great, great grandad of the current crew cab pick-up.

• Like 5

On 12/05/2024 at 22:21, jcredfer said:

ignoring the real concerns that people have

Yes absolutely agree with everything you mention, look at pharmacists they are on their knees and for disabled people the situation just gets more dire and sinister in the way they are treated. We know that first hand having an autistic son.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Random old cars from the local car show fundraiser for the local primary school on the  weekend 

P1240240.JPG.e2f2c347a0e4c2d56a857f339b4a0b0d.JPG

P1240213.JPG.c4218a33ff56127bdf1a6e364147753a.JPG

P1240205.JPG.4ff4938896b19a7410a9e011e02d46be.JPG

P1240200.JPG.f4a70baf4563fec573a8cd2029e4ca80.JPG

P1240197_reduced.jpg.b174bde8935e6c07a5d743885ee44b3d.jpg

P1240196_reduced.jpg.5bee788775007c4f39f99abcdcfebcdb.jpg

P1240195_reduced.jpg.53fc38687b6b37fd8773475a7fc7d631.jpg

P1240193_reduced.jpg.3460b659f8bef16b47cd4b868237567a.jpg

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

There's a close match via Google Images/Lens - Holden Monaro GTS

Think you are right, you can almost see the GTS badge on the grill and I known the Holden Monaro is one of @monkeysarefun ‘s favourite cars so no surprise he’s posted a picture. Must admit it does look good and probably sounds even better.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, alastairq said:

Is the car behind the Cit-roen a Holden?

Yes, either a Holden  HD or HR model. (I'm not up on the finer point of telling them apart!

• Like 4

I passed through Colne this afternoon and spotted an A60 Farina and a Citroen Traction Avant parked amongst the more mundane motors an a small car park just off the road to Keighley.

• Like 3

On 11/05/2024 at 05:02, Sidecar Racer said:

Further to the replies above I will go with this , a 1920 Morgan Grand Prix ,

https://www.hagerty.com/media/member-stories/this-1920-grand-prix-three-wheeler-is-as-morgan-as-it-gets/

What interests me on  Dave's photo one is the rear tyre compared to the front ones ,

it looks like one that would be called Town and Country in my apprenticeship years in the mid 60's ,

completely different to the ones on the machine in the fact page .

Did Grandma perhaps go trialling in her spare time?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Yes, either a Holden  HD or HR model. (I'm not up on the finer point of telling them apart!

It's mostly down to the grille/headlamps/front edge of the front wings, none of which are really visible in the pic. HRs seem more common, so I'd go with that, just on grounds of probability. As a former Pom I still think of them as 6-pot FC Victors 😜. But then, there was a bloke I used to know through work who I used to annoy by referring to his prized (modern) Monaro as "One of those 2-door Commodores".

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RANGERS said:

I passed through Colne this afternoon and spotted an A60 Farina and a Citroen Traction Avant parked amongst the more mundane motors an a small car park just off the road to Keighley.

Having, in my childhood and youth, had a Morris Oxford Series VI as family transport for almost 20 years, plus assorted others as spares mules, I have some difficulty believing that anything in the world could possibly be more mundane than an A60 Farina.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, PatB said:

That was another thought of mine , if so I hope she didn't wear her Sunday best clothes

when so doing .      😎

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

59 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

That was another thought of mine , if so I hope she didn't wears her Sunday best clothes

when so doing .      😎

Being a trials enthusiast [ but too short of cash to still compete]....and a member of the Motorcycling Club   [ MCC...UK's oldest...almost, beaten I believe by a few weeks for incorporation, by the Midland Automobile Club {MAC} but we are talking about the 1902 period!}   I get to see a lot of what are now really old trials photos.

The really noticeable changes are the sheer numbers of spectators in the past....and the way they dress.

Drivers and passengers, who will have been 'competing' for 10 or 12 hours before the photos might have been taken [long distance classic reliability trials...Land's End, Exeter, & Edinburgh trials, still being run today, by the MCC]..yet the dress code still prevails, of  a shirt and tie, jacket or suit, and maybe some sort of hat!

Even noticeable amongst nearly all the crowds of spectators.....long macks as well....and wellies if muddy!

Ladies dress to a similar standard too....hats, coats, etc. and long macks....

Motorcyclists seemed to favour long, heavy, no doubt water proof, coats..

The roads & tracks used for the observed sections [only rallies have 'stages'.....] are today, perhaps a lot rougher in nature.....but a lot of the vehicles seen competing, do not seem to have 'changed' much over the course of time...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PatB said:

Easy to drive, no *reverse gear, in fact no gearbox. Just two drive chains with different sized sprockets each engaged/disengaged by a dog clutch.

*To reverse just lift the rear up and walk it round.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, steve1 said:

That’s a rare one!

I was never sure whether that version of Minx was the same shell as the Hunter, which appeared first. My schoolfriend Michael's parents bought a used one, RLF120E, in grey.

[Rhoda - a big-boned Yorkshire woman with smashing legs in an era when hems above the knee were acceptable for ladies of a certain age, and who often wore heels - and I set off for Heathrow to meet Michael, back from a spell in Eindhoven with Philips Electrologica. We got as far as Esher when the clutch gave out. Taxi to Heathrow and 777 Greenline back to Gatwick where husband Bert picked us up. Michael confided later that his mum would often rest her foot on the clutch pedal, and those heels may have been part of that. Certainly, a car domiciled in rural Surrey did not spend much time in traffic, where clutch-wear is higher.] 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1