The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

2 hours ago, peanuts said:

Spotted these to parked outside one of todays drops couple of old Zephyrs  ?

20210609_170717.jpg

The left-hand one is a MK2 Consul, the right-hand one is a MK2 Zodiac, the top central part of the grille on Zodiacs has vertical comb like teeth. The Zephyr has horizontal slats all the way up. Both appear to be post 1959 Low-line models.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes, just the hood decal was not OEM……looks well kept.

Did they drop the Wolfrace Sonic wheels that,IIRC, came on the early ones?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes, just the hood decal was not OEM……looks well kept.

IIRC when the 280s were originally sold, they were targeted by thieves as the unique interior and wheels etc. were so desirable to those wanting to upgrade their older Capris.  The very last Capri was stolen and found stripped within the year.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

IIRC when the 280s were originally sold, they were targeted by thieves as the unique interior and wheels etc. were so desirable to those wanting to upgrade their older Capris.  The very last Capri was stolen and found stripped within the year.

The very last Capri is with my mate Ivan at the heritage centre ;)

But your correct, Capri special editions were always errrr desired by those without the money to buy them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Hood?!!

I know we're trying to keep Biden happy.... But... :lol:

That’s 35 years working for an American base company, hood was common parlance but oddly wing, bumper and boot we stubbornly stuck to……….but……….lorries we’re always trucks :lol:

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

It's like the make, ''Foden''...?

An old mate who was a proper [Yorkshire] lorryist [as opposed to a trucker, or a wagonista?]...always referred to them as ''Foddens'', with a hard O...

Mind, I got out of waggoning when they started using diesel engines....

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 3

On 11/06/2021 at 10:27, alastairq said:

It's like the make, ''Foden''...?

An old mate who was a proper [Yorkshire] lorryist [as opposed to a trucker, or a wagonista?]...always referred to them as ''Foddens'', with a hard O...

Mind, I got out of waggoning when they started using diesel engines....

I've often wondered, and forgive me if you can't remember back that far, but when you get your telegram from the queen, does it have a stamp on it now she has to post them?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, RANGERS said:

I've often wondered, and forgive me if you can't remember back that far, but when you get your telegram from the queen, does it have a stamp on it now she has to post them?

He's only 70, as he often reminds us. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Only. I cannot help it if I thoroughly reject these modernist views?

I must have been an odd child, I have been rejecting modernist views my whole life. I bought a 1947 Austin Eight when I was sixteen, it was forty years old even then. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I must have been an odd child, I have been rejecting modernist views my whole life. I bought a 1947 Austin Eight when I was sixteen, it was forty years old even then. 

I've always been a similar late adopter of things, we were one of the last families I knew to get a colour TV, VCR, didn't buy a CD player until 1994 (and was still listening to cassettes in my car until less than ten years ago).

I should start a self group and call it Obsolescents Unanimous. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I've always been a similar late adopter of things, we were one of the last families I knew to get a colour TV, VCR, didn't buy a CD player until 1994 (and was still listening to cassettes in my car until less than ten years ago).

I should start a self group and call it Obsolescents Unanimous. 

Always been an earlyish adoptor. Did DVD very early on. Had an early IDTV. Video camera (S/H) in 86

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

One of my school friends in the mid '60s was the son of the estate manager for the Duke of Bedford at Woburn.  A tenant had died and left a 1938 Morris 8 with very low mileage, hardly used since the war.  Mike bought it from the lady's estate and used it commute to school.  The school rules said you had to get "express pemission" to drive to school, which was interpreted to mean you could go fast.  We were studying  Hamlet for A level and arranged to get tickets for Hamlet at Stratford (the 1965 Peter Hall production with David Warner) and four of us would go in the Morris.  My Dad was concerned, allegedly that the Morris couldn't cope with the trip, but I think he was more worried about a 17 year old driving three others there, and back at night.  So he offered to take us in his 1952 Morris Oxford.  So we got another ticket, went to the play, and on the way home the car had to be pushed up Edge Hill, on a freezing cold night; a car that was supposed to be more reliable than the older Eight!

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

I have been known to adopt new technologies [unwittingly, no doubt?]

However, I have always held the view of, ''if there's a need?''

I get the impression far too many people put the cart before the horse, adopt the new technologies, then try to justify a 'need?''

Therefore, I haven't ever had a satnag....as I don't have a 'need', being able to read a map very adequately thank you [and being the sort of person who visualises....which a satnav doesn't provide for me]

But I can see the benefit of a mobile phone, so I have one. It happens to be a basic smartphone, but I rarely connect to anything internettty on it.

Yet, one of my banks has ceased with its online presence, and gone over entirely to ''apps'', whatever they are...so, if I want some money, I have to connect my 'smart' scruffy phone to the wiffy thing at home...Which is a nuisance indeed.

I have a PC computer, and always have had from the get-go...but largely as a result of the brains of who I was married to.

I get microsoft trying to tell me I can do this that or tuther with windies ten thingy, yet all I use it for is to connect to forums like this, and get emails.

I refuse to pay for Office, as I have rarely if ever used it, and cannot see why I should pay for summat I'm never going to use? [Like, cheques?]

Thinking of mobile phones, m landline never ever gets used, at all at all at all...I have to 'have ' it, apparently however....so i make sure I don't actually find myself 'paying' for the pleasure of having something else to dust.

I've never used any of these food delivery thingies, or pills delivery thingies, or virtual books, etc..indeed, I have no time for virtual magazines either.

With technologies doing so much for us these days, I am hard pushed to find something I can do for myself...

Heck, we don't even have to know how to drive any more....

I've left my family DIY instructions and tools for when the find I've karked it.  [Spade in shed, can o petrol in garage, matches in kitchen drawer...or do a DIY creation on the beach..unless they've banned bbq's?

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MJI said:

Always been an earlyish adoptor. Did DVD very early on. Had an early IDTV. Video camera (S/H) in 86

I recorded the first day home of my daughter in 1983…….the video camera was a Sony with the U-Matic recorder hanging off the other shoulder  :lol: 

Better quality now from a cheap phone!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I recorded the first day home of my daughter in 1983…….the video camera was a Sony with the U-Matic recorder hanging off the other shoulder  :lol: 

Better quality now from a cheap phone!

My portable was released in 1982

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I find I tend to get technologies that interest me when I need them or could afford it.

My dad bought a Sanyo VCR in early 80s, I bought a S/H Sony portable in 86.

Still got 3 Beta decks here, currently use HDV for videoing.

Bought a DVD player within first year of general release in UK, I needed something to play films on.

Bought a LCD TV at just the right time, now 11 years old and just coming up for replacement.

No smart speakers, phones are nothing but a tool, got a PS4 but no PS5 yet as no real reason for me to get.

PC is ancient, was rebuilt when XP was current, now on 7 but has full blown DVD burner and Blu Ray burner

• Like 2

7 hours ago, alastairq said:

I have been known to adopt new technologies [unwittingly, no doubt?]

However, I have always held the view of, ''if there's a need?''

I get the impression far too many people put the cart before the horse, adopt the new technologies, then try to justify a 'need?''

Therefore, I haven't ever had a satnag....as I don't have a 'need', being able to read a map very adequately thank you [and being the sort of person who visualises....which a satnav doesn't provide for me]

But I can see the benefit of a mobile phone, so I have one. It happens to be a basic smartphone, but I rarely connect to anything internettty on it.

Yet, one of my banks has ceased with its online presence, and gone over entirely to ''apps'', whatever they are...so, if I want some money, I have to connect my 'smart' scruffy phone to the wiffy thing at home...Which is a nuisance indeed.

I have a PC computer, and always have had from the get-go...but largely as a result of the brains of who I was married to.

I get microsoft trying to tell me I can do this that or tuther with windies ten thingy, yet all I use it for is to connect to forums like this, and get emails.

I refuse to pay for Office, as I have rarely if ever used it, and cannot see why I should pay for summat I'm never going to use? [Like, cheques?]

Thinking of mobile phones, m landline never ever gets used, at all at all at all...I have to 'have ' it, apparently however....so i make sure I don't actually find myself 'paying' for the pleasure of having something else to dust.

I've never used any of these food delivery thingies, or pills delivery thingies, or virtual books, etc..indeed, I have no time for virtual magazines either.

With technologies doing so much for us these days, I am hard pushed to find something I can do for myself...

Heck, we don't even have to know how to drive any more....

I've left my family DIY instructions and tools for when the find I've karked it.  [Spade in shed, can o petrol in garage, matches in kitchen drawer...or do a DIY creation on the beach..unless they've banned bbq's?

I wanted a sky burial on the roof of our shed, but the local council called security when I went to ask them about it. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, MJI said:

My portable was released in 1982

The one I used for my daughter was the High Band U-Matic which came out about 1976 but we transferred from the low band in about 1980, the difference wasn’t a huge leap but it helped, bearing in mind TVs then were pretty low res anyway……I think the one I used was a 6800…..or something like that, long time ago now…..and an awful lot of equipment has “gone under the bridge” since then :lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MJI said:

I find I tend to get technologies that interest me when I need them or could afford it.

My dad bought a Sanyo VCR in early 80s, I bought a S/H Sony portable in 86.

Still got 3 Beta decks here, currently use HDV for videoing.

Bought a DVD player within first year of general release in UK, I needed something to play films on.

Bought a LCD TV at just the right time, now 11 years old and just coming up for replacement.

No smart speakers, phones are nothing but a tool, got a PS4 but no PS5 yet as no real reason for me to get.

PC is ancient, was rebuilt when XP was current, now on 7 but has full blown DVD burner and Blu Ray burner

Did you get the Betamax Home recorder?

I cannot believe how much I paid for it back then, it was the C7 and cost around £600……that was in 1980……

Ouch just found the calculator thingy…..1980 £600 would be 2021 £2380…..:wacko:

edit. Actually threw the C7 away last year* when I got it out and found it dead, not even a light on the display, put it away a long time ago all working, probably just a slow blow gone pop when tried again, never mind but I had forgotten just how heavy it was! 

*must have been the year before…forgot Covid….last year just didn’t happen…did it?

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Did you get the Betamax Home recorder?

I cannot believe how much I paid for it back then, it was the C7 and cost around £600……that was in 1980……

Ouch just found the calculator thingy…..1980 £600 would be 2021 £2380…..:wacko:

Which would now buy you quite a nice mirrorless camera, maybe with a fairly ordinary lens at that price, but able to take 4k video. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1