The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

I landed up watching Dempsey and Makepeace last night as it popped up on tv. Quite a few older series are reappearing.

Car related, they were driving around in a Mini. I decided to have a look to see if it still existed. It was listed on the MOT site, but no tests listed.

Later in the episode it was crushed, which explains the lack of MOT history!

All the best

Katy

• Like 4

Does anyone recognise the location of this photo....? The Mk1 Minis appear to be export models with contrasting white roofs, but they're definitely not Coopers as the stainless steel brightwork around the tops of the doors is not present, and the small script badges on the bootlids aren't long enough to be Cooper badges so they're Morris Mini Minors....

BMC 7095_o.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Does anyone recognise the location of this photo....? The Mk1 Minis appear to be export models with contrasting white roofs, but they're definitely not Coopers as the stainless steel brightwork around the tops of the doors is not present, and the small script badges on the bootlids aren't long enough to be Cooper badges so they're Morris Mini Minors....

BMC 7095_o.jpg

I can't be certain but I think its Tilbury Docks. If it is then they are probably bound for the Low Countries. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

BMC 7095_o.jpg

I'm wondering if its possibly harwich 

Didn't realise there were mk1 converted carflats that were equipped for international use

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

That's rather lovely - it was featured in Miniworld mag when the project was on the go. It's taken a long time for Heritage to get the Mk1 shell absolutely as good as it can possibly be and there's now talk of a Mk2 on the cards.

Any idea what the ballpark figures are for a finished “new” Mini?

I’d like to know whether to look forward to,one or just scrap the idea :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Any idea what the ballpark figures are for a finished “new” Mini?

I’d like to know whether to look forward to,one or just scrap the idea :D

If you mean the a new shell, I think a later Rover era MkVII shell is about £7k and is available from two or three places (minus doors and bootlid though I think), I'm not sure how much the Heritage Mk1 shell is. Depending on what project someone has to start with it can be cheaper in the long run to buy a new shell rather than patch up and repair an original one. It's certainly quicker...!

• Informative/Useful 3

Meteor Montcalm convertible - I think a 1966, but I wouldn't swear to it. Photographed September 3 in Coquitlam, BC.

IMG_4974.JPG.28688154665fe40add8ff9c21837a6fe.JPG

Meteor was a marque used by the Ford organisation, but sold only in Canada. It was used from 1949 to 1976, with the exception of the 1962 and 1963 model years.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, duncan said:

surprised with the proportion of new parts that the DVLA allowed the original reg.

I believe it's allowed if the new parts are direct replacements for the originals, and are brand new - a secondhand replacement shell would not be allowed (or would take the reg that came with that shell)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I believe it's allowed if the new parts are direct replacements for the originals, and are brand new - a secondhand replacement shell would not be allowed (or would take the reg that came with that shell)

With old cars it all becomes a bit muddy. With this I wouldn't think the dvla would be involved. 

They would however if it was to be registered as a new vehicle and then I would think it would need to meet modern emissions standards etc

Although this is basically a new car its still a restoration 

• Informative/Useful 2