The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Wasn't the Isuzu piazza also a T car relative?

It was, although very little of the Chevette remained in production cars. Giugiaro was commissioned to style the car and Isuzu gave the studio the Chevette as a base platform to work on. The resultant car was shown at the Tokyo Motor Show and rave press approvals ensured it made it to production. The production car had little in common with the Chevette, the drivetrains were pure Isuzu, although one thing which did remain was a live back axle, the source of much criticism of the handling of the early vehicles (they were almost death traps, 150bhp and the road manners of a camel!).

Not quite cars but you might find this interesting. Wearing my day job hat I came across this photo of a "new" fire engine for the Mount Isa (Queensland) Fire Brigade, c 1970. It looks like it's a conversion of a Bedford VAM!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/queenslandstatearchives/42930223651/

EDIT: Via another forum the chassis is probably a Ford, but the front looks very Bedford.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Bit late (I have been meaning to post about this for weeks) but this evening there is a vintage car gathering at Motcombe (Gillingham & Shaftesbury Showground, Turnpike). Starts at 4 and goes on until 10. A good selection of vehicles last year.

It was, although very little of the Chevette remained in production cars. Giugiaro was commissioned to style the car and Isuzu gave the studio the Chevette as a base platform to work on. The resultant car was shown at the Tokyo Motor Show and rave press approvals ensured it made it to production. The production car had little in common with the Chevette, the drivetrains were pure Isuzu, although one thing which did remain was a live back axle, the source of much criticism of the handling of the early vehicles (they were almost death traps, 150bhp and the road manners of a camel!).

Sounds like fun!

• Like 1

Not quite cars but you might find this interesting. Wearing my day job hat I came across this photo of a "new" fire engine for the Mount Isa (Queensland) Fire Brigade, c 1970. It looks like it's a conversion of a Bedford VAM!https://www.flickr.com/photos/queenslandstatearchives/42930223651/EDIT: Via another forum the chassis is probably a Ford, but the front looks very Bedford.CheersDavid

Judging by the front hubs, it’s more Ford than Bedford, from the layout, most likely a shortened Ford R192 or R1014 bus chassis. Tricentrol offered such a conversion for 8.5m coaches in the UK but that was much later, about 1979.

• RMweb Premium

Not quite cars but you might find this interesting. Wearing my day job hat I came across this photo of a "new" fire engine for the Mount Isa (Queensland) Fire Brigade, c 1970. It looks like it's a conversion of a Bedford VAM!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/queenslandstatearchives/42930223651/

EDIT: Via another forum the chassis is probably a Ford, but the front looks very Bedford.

Cheers

David

Judging by the front hubs, it’s more Ford than Bedford, from the layout, most likely a shortened Ford R192 or R1014 bus chassis. Tricentrol offered such a conversion for 8.5m coaches in the UK but that was much later, about 1979.

Quite a few fire engines were built on bus/coach chassis, the Bedford SB and AEC Regent in particular.

• RMweb Premium

What is it?

Chevrolet Camaro (Generation 3, 1982 - 1992) or possibly its sister car, a Pontiac Firebird.. None of the later Camaros/Firebirds had (in my view) the attraction of the 2nd generation version. I feel the same about Mustangs. Somehow the US designers seem to have rather lost their way at the end of the 70's, although vehicle safety legislation may have been partially responsible for the rather more bland designs that started to appear.

Chevy Camaro. Has Z28 badges

steve

PS iPad wanted to call it a Cameron...

People out here (or at least in Melbourne) have gone crazy for the latest Mustangs. I don't think there is a day that goes by without seeing at least one. I saw 7 driving in a convoy down the East Link a couple of weeks ago. :)

They are getting common here too..

steve

• Like 2

A burst of motoring based nostalgia while the Sunday roast is on the go...

post-7638-0-92915500-1529841356.jpg

The '70s may have turned out very differently for Porsche if they'd have followed up on this 'Tapero' concept...

post-7638-0-77853600-1529841515.jpg

Early attempt at a hatchback mod on the venerable BMC 1300...

post-7638-0-41984200-1529841774.jpg

Longbridge, earliest date is October '69 which is when the Mk3 Mini range with internal door hinges and wind up windows was launched...

post-7638-0-10864700-1529842144_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Makes you wonder why BL didn't pursue the hatchback idea on the 1100/1300 range.

steve

They'd trialled the idea with the A40 Farina Mk2 'Countryman'. This had a 2-piece back door, the bottom half being the bottom-hinged boot door. The arrangements of the overlap between the two parts, and the lack of seals, meant the boot-lid rusted through. We had one for a couple of years in the 1980s.

The late and much missed Roger Moore with one of the two P1800s used in The Saint, one of which was Roger's own car for a while...

post-7638-0-51712600-1529856232_thumb.jpg

When I looked at one of these up close at the NEC a while back it looked quite a large car with a surprising amount of cabin space, yet out on the road they're dwarfed by modern machinery. Still very stylish though, oozing '60s charm.

• Like 7

For the past eleven years, the village of Haynes in Bedfordshire has organised the "Haynes Village 100" classic vehicle show in aid of village hall funds. So this afternoon while everyone else was watching some football game in Russia, I took a short trip up the A6 to one of Bedfordshire's prettiest areas. It's a well supported show and different in that it allows entries from more modern classics too, the newest vehicle on display being a 2016 Ford Mustang. With glorious weather, a flypast from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the English countryside, it was much more pleasant (and cheaper) than an afternoon glued to the TV. 

Here's a selection. Apologies if the images aren't up to my previous standard. The battery in my camera died, so the iPhone was pressed into service.

Ford V8 Pilot

post-6946-0-34951700-1529863247_thumb.jpg

This Cavalier is the oldest Mk.1 known in existence in this country. It was used by Vauxhall for the dealer launch, Earls Court Motor Show and in press and publicity material before being sold on.

post-6946-0-13342800-1529863422_thumb.jpg

MG

post-6946-0-64714800-1529863743_thumb.jpg

A beautifully presented engine on this RS2000

post-6946-0-12579000-1529863810_thumb.jpg

1960 Vauxhall Velox Friary Estate conversion

post-6946-0-31715400-1529864140_thumb.jpg

This Mk.1 Cavalier is a barn find, unrestored and if the speedo is to be believed, has covered just over 15k miles.

post-6946-0-65076100-1529864238_thumb.jpg

• Like 17